What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Nazis won WWII, (sort of) by sending their own to the U.S. in support of the Cold War..

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (scarecrow237) Everything about the marketing of the book made it seem that it was an alternate history story about the Nazis winning WWII, it was put in with other SciFi books, the blurbs on the cover intimated that was the case, with lots of exclamation points! The cover image I remember was of Stukas flying in formation over the U.S. Capitol building which was flying the Swastika flag. The title and author, neither of which I remember, was written on a file folder below this picture.

However, the book was written as more of a political thriller intimating that parts of "Project Paperclip", the real-world integration of former Nazis into the U.S. Government, was part of a plot by certain Nazis to ensure that some of their ideas wouldn't die. I remember that there was a huge cast of characters, and a list was provided near the beginning showing real people in italics and fictional characters in plain text, there were very few fictional characters, no more than six or so. There was an authors note at the beginning that claimed that all conversations between real people actually happened as described in his book. Only the fictional characters interactions were made up.

message 2: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 70 comments The only title that comes to my mind is Fatherland by Robert Harris. Never read the book, but did see a movie adaptation. There are about 30 different editions on file here, so you'll have to check out the blurb and different covers to see if this is the book you want.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Space?
Facade?

Probably not it but I'm throwing it out there just in case: Gravity's Rainbow?

When did you read this, and was it new then? That could help narrow things down.

message 4: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Also probably not but throwing out The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick just in case.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (scarecrow237) Some follow up info. I read the book while in high school, that would have been between 1983 and 1987. It was sold as recently written at that time. I was heavily into the alternate history genre and was greatly disappointed that the book wasn't even Science Fiction. I felt duped by the publishers.

It was obvious that the author had a political agenda making grand sweeping criticisms of the actual historical Allies ignoring some of the things the Nazis did, just to bring them to the U.S. to help with setting up the Cold War Policy. It was somewhat obvious that the author's theory was that, had the U.S. tried and executed all the Nazis, there wouldn't have been a Cold War with the U.S.S.R. and that some of the things happening "Right Now", (as in the '80s) were the fault of former Nazi policies and their American sympathizers. The novel starts during the Nuremburg trials, moves quickly through the 50's, 60's (with a bit of attention paid to Kennedy's assassination) and 70's and concludes with the election of Ronald Reagan.

I have to admit, I didn't get most of the book when I read it. I was not quite sophisticated enough then.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Lightning in the Night by Fred Allhoff? "The Nazi Invasion of America"

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-night...

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 23 comments Actually, maybe not, after I read the original description. But look at those covers! They're awesome.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

In the Presence of Mine Enemies by Harry Turtledove?

In the twenty-first century, Germany's Third Reich continues to thrive after its victory in World War II-keeping most of Europe and North America under its heel. But within the heart of the Nazi regime, a secret lives. Under a perfect Aryan facade, Jews survive-living their lives, raising their families, and fearing discovery...

message 10: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments I've read In the Presence of Mine Enemies, and as I recall, all the action takes place in Germany, so I don't think that's it.

There are other alternate WWII novels by Turtledove, but I'm not able to offer any plot help with them, I've only read ItPoME and Guns of the South.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Stephen, are you still looking for this? Was it anything mentioned?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Stephen has left the group. Moving to Abandoned.