Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Mistakes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Aug 18, 2010 08:36PM) (new)

Laura (thatlibrarianlady) Has anyone else noticed mistakes in their audiobooks? I've been listening to audiobooks for about a year, but lately I've been noticing errors more often. In the past week I've heard narrators pronounce ennui, orchestral, and kyrie (and others that I can't remember) incorrectly. You'd think someone would listen for these kinds of things before releasing them.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes. It's one thing on Librivox, quite another on a commercial release.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasonct) | 62 comments It happens, just like typos in books (which I seem to find more of recently also)

message 4: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3643 comments Yes, I notice stuff that should've been edited out (corrected) before the final audio was released.

message 5: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments I've never noticed anything...maybe I should pay more attention. I would imagine they are there as nobody's perfect.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (thatlibrarianlady) Jason, I've also been noticing a lot of typos in the print books I read as well.

I know mistakes happen and stuff, but being the perfectionist that I am I have a tendency to get annoyed with it.

message 7: by Karlton (new)

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments In the Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States, there is a two minute section where they neglected to take out "studio banter". The narrator asks about his plosives, clears his throat, etc. It made me wonder about how quality control for a 30+ hour book is possible (and whether they accidentally left something out).

message 8: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 4 comments Laura Ashlee wrote: "In the past week I've heard narrators pronounce ennui, orchestral, and kyrie (and others that I can't remember) incorrectly."

You didn't happen to be listening to one of the Gemma Doyle books when you heard the mispronunciation of ennui? I listened to those books almost six months ago and I still cringe every time I think of the narrator saying that word (and her pronunciation of some others, but ennui was what really stuck in my mind.)

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (thatlibrarianlady) No, I was listening to on of The Luxe novels. I've been listening to the Gemma Doyle books lately though so I probably haven't gotten that far or perhaps didn't notice it.

message 10: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 59 comments I've listened to a couple of audio books that I also read in print (audible versions) and sometimes sections ARE left out. I remember on one book, I noticed a left out section. I wrote audible about it, and they put that section in, but then left out another section. It took 3 tries to get the complete book!

The other thing I've noticed is occasionally the narrator will read the wrong name. Usually, it's clear enough who it's supposed to be, but it's funny. Things like, "I think Elaine's upset," whispered Elaine. Obviously, Elaine shouldn't be in BOTH places.

It doesn't drive me crazy though.