Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > Which are your favorites?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments What are your top three favorite SFR? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

message 2: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (combo of the books Shards of Honor and Barrayar)

The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald

Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair

message 3: by Laurie (last edited Aug 20, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald. Two words. Terry Myell. *sigh* I love beta heroes.

Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair Admiral Kel-Paten is an amazing hero and this book has one of the best "all is lost" endings of any SFR I've read.

Shades of Dark by Linnea Sinclair (but read Gabriel's Ghost first!) Dark, psychological, a gripping conflict and the author took some risks with the hero in this one.

Barrayar (Part II of Shards of Honor) by Lois McMaster Bujold. Great characters, world building and realistic politics. When this heroine makes a threat, she lives up to it.

and in the SFR/erotica department

Lucy in the Sky by Barbara Elsborg (Ellora's Cave) kept me laughing and sighing and scared for the heroine and hoping... Well, read it and see.

On the more SF than Romance shelf (though there is definitely a romance), Catherine Asaro's Alpha had interesting characters and fantastic world-building and tech, IMHO. Oh, and the hero is a General.

Although I haven't read it yet, Katherine Allred's Close Contact got a top pick rating from Romantic Times. I did read the prequel, Close Encounters, and it was a good story that just won a PRISM award.

As I work through my TBR pile, including those by authors who are in this group, I'm sure I'll have more to add.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments (I know that was quite a few, but it's tough to narrow it down to just three.) :)

message 5: by new_user (last edited Aug 20, 2010 12:41PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Hopefully, I'll have more to add as I read on, but for now my favorites are Gabriel's Ghost (I plan to read more from her!) and Shards of Honour. I didn't really care for Barrayar as much.

Laurie, do you mean you read Close Contact? Close Encounters is the first book. :)

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments Oops. I read Close Encounters. Close Contact is in my TBR pile (sounds awesome) but haven't read it yet. I meant to say PREQUEL not sequel. Let me go edit that.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh, I didn't realize the first book won a PRISM. I don't think I trust the PRISM awards, LOL!

message 8: by Chaeya (last edited Aug 20, 2010 10:11PM) (new)

Chaeya | 31 comments I liked "Bloodwind" by Charlette Boyett-Compo. It's a trilogy so I need to get the other books.

My absolute favorite are The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pearce. I read these in high school and so far I haven't come across any stories that top them. It's mostly fantasy, but it does happen in another world, so I consider it sci-fi/fantasy to me.

I've been the member of so many author groups that I've been purchasing mostly books from independet authors. After I finish my book, I'm going to dive into my TBR pile for a while.

Chaeya

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments I really like Angela Knight's Time Hunters series too.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) This is a brand new genre for me.

So far I've enjoyed:

The League Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Parallel Attraction by Deidre Knight
Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue by Hugh Howey (YA sci-fi with a nice beginning romance)

Too Close to the Sun by Robin T. Popp was pretty good.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Oops. I forgot a few.

I love, love, love the Psy/Changelings series by Nalini Singh and the Ghostwalkers series by Christine Feehan (scientifically enhanced soldiers and women with psychic gifts).

Werelove: Dusk Conspiracy by Lakisha Spletzer is a good YA sci-fi/PNR romance.