Delirity discussion

Author R > Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments LOL, have you really not read them? I think they are really good and the just get better and better. She ended the series perfectly, and though I am sad it's over, and that Draco and Hermionie did not magically get together, I am really happy with Deathly Hallows.

If you have watched the movie for the first two then the book might be boring, because the movie stayed pretty true to the books, but I'd still recommend reading them. And if you don't feel like reading the first two, just start at the third one. I don't think you will miss anything. . .I'm not 100% sure though.

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments loll, I know, but I checked your bookshelf and it said you didn't read them, so I'm just letting you know, :D.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
I didn't get into them until book 4. I think the fact that the first one's were classified as kids and not YA had a lot to do with it. Not the classification itself, just that it was so tame that it was safe for 8 year olds to read.

message 5: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Oh! I see. :)

message 6: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I keep putting off finishing Deathly Hallows. I don't remember a lot of it, and I feel like I will be forever finished or something when I am done. :(

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments =/ Deathly Hallows took me a whilee to start, because I wanted to re-read the entire series before reading it, and I kept getting side tracked by other books.

Forever finished with Harry Potter?

message 8: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments It's just that when I read it the first time way back when it finally got released, I was so sad it was over. I loved the book, and I started to re-read the entire series, but I haven't been getting very far in Deathly Hallows for some reason. I don't really know why, it just feels bittersweet.

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ohh, I understand what you mean. The books ended SO well though, that I'm really happy with it. It's the same for this show I used to watch, "Boston Legal." The show was AMAZING but the producers ended it so well that I didn't feel all that sad about the series premiere.

& I take comfort in the fact that I can re-read this whenever I want to. :) With book like Breaking Dawn, I really dislike them so I don't think I'd never re-reading them, at least without throwing it against a wall. ;)

message 10: by Heather (new)

Boston Legal... one of the best shows ever! I was watching it one day and it made me want to go to Boston so I got in my car and drove there the next day just because of the show.

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments LOL. I loved how the two people get married in the series premiers by a supreme court judge who hates them! And how they got married because of money and life insurance, not for love of anything, lmao.

message 12: by Heather (new)

I love how when they knew they were going to be canceled, they just wrote jabs in about their network. They ragged on them.

message 13: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I don't remember that, but then again I watched episodes here and there. I didn't know they were canceled. I just thought it was time for them to finish the series.

message 14: by Heather (new)

They were going to be canceled at the end of their second to last season, but fan mail kept them for an extra season. The last 2 seasons they switched time slots and days a lot while they tried to find a way to increase the shows ratings.

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Oh, I see.

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments TRYING TO READ BOOK 3

message 17: by Zuleika (new)

Zuleika Stacia wrote: "You know...I really wanted to post "Is this series any good? Has anyone read it?" in all seriousness just to see some jaws drop."

LOL

Jasmine ☮ ♡ ♔ wrote: "LOL, have you really not read them? I think they are really good and the just get better and better. She ended the series perfectly, and though I am sad it's over, and that Draco and Hermionie did ..."

:o I totally wanted Draco and Hermione to get together as well. Oh well that is what fanfiction is for

*SPOILERS*

AAAH I love Harry Potter so much I could discuss it endlessly. It took me years to finish Deathly Hallows because I didn't want it to end, but I'm glad I finished the whole series, because it was amazing, but I WANT ANOTHER BOOK (about the founders, marauders, short stories, ANYTHING). Also, Fred dying was like the worst death in literature. Even to this day I feel something breaking inside of me just thinking about it.

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments I think I am going to take the boys to see it after school. Can't wait!!

message 19: by Heather (new)

I just finally watched the Opera interview of Rowling and it's made me want to reread. However, I was one of those people that enjoyed them, but never feel head over heels for them. (Mainly because it's hard for me to get into something if I've already seen the movie.) I just read them all about 2 years ago and I feel like I should wait to read them again when I have kids of my own since it'll probably inspire the love for them that everyone else seems to have. Decisions, decisions...

message 20: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I was going to wait to re-read them after the last movie, but I cracked last year. Now I plan to wait until I read them to my son. He wants me to start now, but I think I will wait until he is older (he is 3), then his brother should be able to enjoy them too and I only have to read them once. :)

message 21: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I love these books, although I have other series that rate higher above them. You guys always talk about Twilight being the book that got you into reading, well this is Twilight for me. loll (:

message 22: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I guess The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe was the book that did it for me. I think I was in the 4th grade when I became obsessed with it. I also loved The Hobbit and used to pretend I had a house in a hill, lol. I have always loved reading.

message 23: by Heather (new)

The Angony and the Ecstasy and The Once and Future King were two that got me interested in high school, but I took my time with books back then. Then, I got busy with other things. Twilight brought me back.

message 24: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I think I started reading in 4th/5th grade. I was really bored at my cousins house and she had all the books that were out, so I started reading the first. It was a lot like the movie, so in the beginning I didn't really care for it, but as I read more and more I started loving them.

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela B I have always read but these books were probably my first real loves...I read some of them in all of 24 hours and when you're a kid and the books are 700 pages that's pretty damn good I would say :)

message 26: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I think I know too many people that love this series. I don't even find it surprising that kids read these books in under 24 hours, lol. Me, my friends, and one of my cousins, all did that for most of them. I think one of my friends started reading these when the first came out, when she was in 1st or 2nd grade, and she read every book within a day I think.

message 27: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments You know, I really don't like Harry and Ginny together at all. I don't really understand why they end up together. You know how the neighbor guy said to one of the sisters in Little Women that he really wanted to be a part of that family one day and then he promptly fell in love with each of the sisters until he found one to marry? Did he really love her or did he just want to be a part of that family? Thats my question with Harry/Ginny. We see why Ginny would love or at least have hero worship for Harry (the boy who lived, the boy who saved her from basilisk, older brothers hot best friend. Ginny's crush makes total sense) But it never made sense why Harry loved her other than she was a Weasley, she was a girl, she liked him, played his favorite sport and was hot. I think especially after having seen the movie that Harry and Luna make much more sense. Luna's actually plays a part of the story. Ginny's just sort of background for me, and that would have been fine if she had been played as if she were Harry's safe place from the madness/drama of his life but it didn't seem that way to me at all. She just seemed like a convenient gal to make out with occassionally.

message 28: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments Yeah, I try not to think about Harry/Ginny. I like Harry and Luna too. I do find it makes more sense in the books compared to the movies (H/G), but not like R/H. I kove those two together.

My girlfriend likes H/H!

message 29: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I see where you're coming from, but for some reason I really enjoy Harry and Ginny together. I haven't watched the movies were the romance plays a bigger role (towards the end of the series), but from the books I liked that they got together.

I find H/H so weird! LOL, maybe it's because I just see them as such great friends and always though of R/H together.

message 30: by Heather (new)

I kind of like that the main character doesn't get the girl in the case of Hermione. I don't get the Ginny thing either, just because it felt under developed. If more time had been spent on the foundation I would have been okay with it. I'm indifferent more so than anything.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I loved that Harry and Hermione didn't hook up. They're so great as friends.

In fact I loved that she ended up with Ron. Well, after I got over my first initial anger. (I was obsessed with Ron and I was convinced that he was all mine. Even went as far as planning Hermione's death. Well, fictional death.)

message 32: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments I completely agree with you Heather, and Shera, that it was a good thing Harry and Hermione didn't end up together. I'm so glad that Hermione ended up with Ron. They are such opposites that their relationship can only be interesting. Ron is so adorable (but can be a meathead sometimes).

message 33: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I agree, I love Ron and Hermione! I feel like Harry and Hermione are more like siblings. When they had them dance in the tent in the first Deathly Hallows movie I was kind of weirded out. I know Harry was trying to cheer her up, but at times it just made me feel uncomfortable because it had a different vibe.

message 34: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments I've decided that we were all supposed to feel a little awkward (sympathy awkwardness?) during that dancing scene? Daniel was making some strange faces...and hip movements.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Yeah, it was weird. I've tried to forget about the madness.

message 36: by Carri (new)

Carri (carrifedor) | 145 comments I am the last person in the world to read it I am pretty sure, but I started the 1st Harry Potter this week!

message 37: by Heather (new)

Hehe Cute.

message 38: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments That is funny, especially if you are a big HP fan.