Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How Do You Handle Changes of Plans or Unforseeable Circumstances?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 16, 2010 06:07AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments How do you handle changes in plans/circumstances? Can you go with the flow?

This is on my mind because our offices have moved twice in the last three weeks because of flooding. Also, tech guys come into my office about every five seconds to install/switch something. I'm ok with it, I guess, esp. now we're in decent space, but some people are freaking out. I can go with the flow most of the time as long as I feel like everyone's trying, doing their best, nothing you can do, etc. I tell my students they don't want to be the types of teachers who get upset when the fire drill bell happens because your schedule got messed up. There are too many variables you can't control, and getting all upset doesn't do anyone any good.

What do you think?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i used to no handle change in plans/circumstances well at all. then i started traveling to other countries and found that for the most part, people from the USA (can't really say americans as people from south, central and canada are technically americans) are the ones who freak the most about sudden plans change. in many other places (except china where they are time/planning freaks) you kind of roll with it as it happens for the most part.

message 3: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I HATE CHANGES. I want to know what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, how it's going to happen, an what's going to happen after that happens. Yeah, I can't stand it.

But I'm a spoiled brat, so when things don't go my way, I'm conditioned to go into a temper tantrum. IT'S PSYCHOLOGY.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It depends on when the change in plans happens, and sometimes what the new plan is. I used to hate deviations from the line I had drawn. Now I sometimes never find my way back to the line, and I'm OK with that.

message 5: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i like it when things go according to plan, and the way i expected them to go. positive surprises are always welcome though. i don't like that about myself; i don't want to do everything the same all the time, i don't want to plan every detail. i'm trying to be better.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Always been good at rolling with changes. I like new things. Married the opposite, though.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24258 comments Mod
It just depends on the circumstances and what's being changed, and how far a deviation the change is from what I'd been expecting. If I come to work thinking I have a job for the indefinite future, and then you fire me, I'm not going to be pleased. If a whole bunch of unexpected changes occur one after the other, this could very well stress me out. But in general I'm a calm person and I make adjustments.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7125 comments I must have grown up with too many passive aggressive, manic depressive relatives. Predictable, order, calm harmonious atmosphere? I start to itch for some change and chaos.

message 9: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I just go with it..improvise as needed

message 10: by Heidi (last edited Aug 19, 2010 05:57AM) (new)

message 11: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Britt wrote: "I HATE CHANGES. I want to know what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, how it's going to happen, an what's going to happen after that happens. Yeah, I can't stand it.

But I'm a spoiled ..."

I'm with you. Unless I've been drinking.

Profanity always helps in coping.