Horror Aficionados discussion

The Tomb of Terminated Threads > Synchronicity - Anything happening in your life that is more than a coincidence?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 183 (183 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Definition of Synchronicity in Wikipedia:

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner. It is popularly known as the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. To count as synchronicity, the events should be unlikely to occur together by chance. The concept of synchronicity was first described by Swiss psychologist Carl Gustav Jung in the 1920s.[1:]

The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning. Since meaning is a complex mental construction, subject to conscious and subconscious influence, not every correlation in the grouping of events by meaning needs to have an explanation in terms of cause and effect.

I've had an unusual amount of events of synchronicity. I'll list them here. Have you had such events in your life?

message 2: by Aloha (last edited Aug 16, 2010 05:27AM) (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Here's a comparison between the two relationships I've had (1 very long term, and 1 short before that).

The two men were:
Mark (most recent), Marc
Polish American
Same age (3 mos. apart, one in April, one in March)
have a brother name David

The last 4 digits of SS# of myself and Mark are the same, but the two first numbers are switched.

Mark's last girlfriend was Vietnamese with an American stepfather, same as me. She's two years younger than me but her birth certificate was forged to be the same age as mine for immigration purposes.

Mark is a Taurus, and his brother is a Scorpio.
One of my sister is a Taurus, the other sister is a Scorpio.
Mark and I had the same books when we met.
Mark's 3 best friends were Mark S., Mark C., and A. Mark.

The men I've known lately have their birthdays b/w April-May.

My previous addresses #s:
I was going to move to be near my sister in SC. Her address started with 20.
My previous addresses #s in order of most current: 281, 200, and 275

People whose names begin with the letter M have strongly influenced my life:
-Mom (generic, but read on)
-Sisters with initials of first names MH, MD, and their mom MH, who influenced me to go for early college admission and pre-med. since my parents have never talked of college (which I later switched to engineering when I broke friendship with them).
-First boyfriend Matt M., with sister named Marty
-First major relationship Marc
-Best friend at that time Marty
-Second very long term relationship Mark
-Platonic friend named Michael M who gave me some profound philosophical ideas, which was just in time for me to deal with the battles I'n currently having.

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Sorry for copying my posts from Larry's topic regarding ghostly things happening. Since this is about synchronicity instead of ghostly events, I moved it to this topic.

When something comes to my notice, I see it everywhere. My daughter's Chinese tutor said that the #4 is unlucky in China. In the way it's written in character format, it's very similar to the word "death." Everything started coming up #4, including 8/4, when my sister called me with her breast cancer news. Now, #8 is the luckiest number in China. That's why the Beijing Olympics started on 8/8/08. I'm hoping that the #8 will balance out the #4 when it came to my sister's bad news.

message 4: by Aloha (last edited Aug 16, 2010 03:45AM) (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I've also had friends or relatives that seem to pop in at a period when I am in a turmoil about something. For example, when I first received the news via telephone of my first boyfriend's murder from his best friend, I was shaken up. I had not heard from the ex-boyfriend in almost a year. While I was in shock over this news that I just heard, a few minutes later, I received a telephone call from my friends in high school, MH & MD, who I have not heard from in over 5 years. We parted badly because of their controlling ways. They had gotten my telephone # from my mom. That broke my shock over my ex-boyfriend's death.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments i have more irony in my life than synchronicity. right now i can do with out irony, it's a real pain in my ass!

message 6: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Wow Aloha - That is amazing. There are a few things in my life as well. I will have to gather them all up and write them down as well.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Well, right now everything in my house seems to be breaking down at the same time.

message 8: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Jenn, I'm curious about your events. I'd like to know how common this is, and why it happens to some people and not others.

Suzanne, I've discovered a lot of surprises and ironies lately, too. It's my friend's philosophy that helped me to laugh at them.

message 9: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Scott, you probably purchased everything at the same time. Old age is the pits.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Yeah I expect to be going the same route in the coming weeks.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 148 comments I’ve always seemed to be surrounded by synchronicities, some minor some a bit more um… weird.

Two of my favorites are;

I changed school back when I was about 15 and on one of the first days I was put into a 3 man group for a science project (I think that’s what it was anyway). Turned out, both of the other guys were called Phil; we all lived in houses with the number 19 and when it got to October we found out all our mothers share a birthday on Halloween.

About 15 years ago I read The Illuminatus! Trilogy: The Eye in the Pyramid/The Golden Apple/Leviathan by Robert Anton Wilson, which is about a lot of stuff but there’s a recurring theme of Coincidence Theory, LSD and something called The Law of Fives. I’d just about finished the book and while I was reading the appendices I ran a bath for myself. I finished the book and got into the bath. The top of the water is covered with bubbles apart from one small round patch in front of me and while I’m looking at the patch, what floats up to the surface? A small, square piece of paper, exactly the same size as an acid tab with the number 5 on it. I really was discombobulated :P

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen My lucky number has always been 6. Born in June,6 day. My name has 6 letters first and last. My address is the same as bday,have 6 different jobs in my life, the 6th lasting the longest. I lived in 6 different places, the sixth the longest. Got married on the the sixth. Six people in my family. Just notice have 6 friends on GR,(never notice that before). All my kids names have 6 letters in their names. I just figured out my last child and 6 person in my family was born during my sixth year of marriage. WOW!

message 13: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Phil, Eileen, those were some great synchronicities. It's neat seeing how it shows up with different people, and the pattern it takes.

Phil, that #5 floating up was a hoot! :oD

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I don't have any big synchronicities to report. All mine are small ones. They come into my life like themes for a week or so. For example: I'll have a discussion at work about a certain topic, then the next day, whatever that topic was about will come up again somewhere else, and does not involve any of the people I had the original conversation with. When I get back to work, the people I had the conversation will sometimes say they experienced something similar.

Of course, the topic can't be about something that's typical, like Ford trucks or something. Usually the original conversation, or whatever, was about something bizarre in the first place.

Synchronicities is a subject, like with most of Jung's theories/philosophies, that I find fascinating.

message 15: by Aloha (last edited Aug 16, 2010 02:55PM) (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Things like that happen to me, too. I would have a question in my mind about something, then somebody will show up with an answer. I purchased a book on eBay by David Peat:

Synchronicity The Bridge Between Matter and Mind by David Peat

Of course, some of my stuff is here and some is in SC. I tried to find all the books I wanted to read. I found them with the exception of this book and the next two books of the Ring series. And I searched all of the boxes, too. I need to read more on synchronicity to find out more about the theories that people came up with as to how and why that happens.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments @aloha i just need to stop finding irony or maybe it just finds me!

message 17: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Like synchronicity finding me, irony found you. It's only been a few years ago that I realized that there's a strange pattern in my life. And those M and Mark(c) relationships are one after another. It's not interspersed by J's or N's or any other letters. I know what you mean by irony. When you think something is what it is, you draw open the curtain and something totally different is inside it, which changed your whole view of reality, and threatens to make a whole sham of what you valued.

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments that's alot for me to think about. i just have some stuff going on, things that i want and can't have.specifically a certain man but that's a long horror story unto itself!! lol

message 19: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Oh, God. Man problems. I totally sympathize. I don't get them. I think I'll just use them for sex and then go back home to a place that's all my own.

message 20: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Hmmm, I was born on Friday the 13th. Does that count?

I can't think of anything major besides the #23, I was married at 23, house number is 23, kids were both born on the 23rd.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments 2ALOHA I AGREE BUT THIS MAN BROKE MY HEART AND I STILL WANT HIM. COLOR ME A MASOCHIST!!

message 22: by Aloha (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Suzanne, do you want me to do away with him so that he won't be in your plane of existence as a fatal temptation? We can do a criss-cross thing. I get rid of him, you get rid of my stbx.

message 23: by Jaimie (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

Jaimie (jez476) I have a lot of them. Both significant relationships in my life are Geminis. My best friend and I seem to have a lot of Aries around us (she and I included), several significant men in our lives have M names (Mark, Matt, Michael, Mike...) She also has a lot of J names.
My husband and I have a wierd coincidence about our birthdays. Both of us are double numbers, I'm April 4th and he's June 6th. Also, my birthday is the anniversary of the assasination of Martin Luther King, Jr. My hub's birthday is the anniversary of the assasination of Robert Kennedy.
4 is my lucky number and there have been several significant events (I'm not listing them, though, some are very personal) happen on the 4th, 13th, and 22nd of the month. 1+3=4 2+2=4
And speaking about noticing something once and noticing it all the time since. A couple years ago I was reading the synopses of two books that were interesting. I noticed the book covers, along with the book I was reading at the time, all had a common theme: men with their back turned or in shadows, wearing bowler or top hats. These are the three books: The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes . The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox The Poe Shadow A Novel by Matthew Pearl Now I notice book covers like that everywhere.

message 24: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Jaime, I have some M and Aries, too. I guess there's enough to go around for all of us. LOL

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments @aloha, that sounds tempting but i really need him ripped out of my heart and mind.

message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott It's fun to notice cover trends.

message 27: by Aloha (last edited Aug 17, 2010 09:32AM) (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Suzanne, I guess I've been trained before I could remember to pad my heart ever since I was shuffled to various caretakers while my single mom worked extra long hours. And all that moving around in the U.S. trained me to let go of friendships easily. If someone broke my heart or I sense a heartbreak potential, I usually get rid of the relationship completely. Out of sight out of mind.

message 28: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments i wish i were like that but unfortunately i am a typical pisces, romantic heart, rose colored glasses, the whole bit.

message 29: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I have rose-colored glasses, too. I put up with a lot and am accepting of a lot of people. But once I've made up my mind that they are to be in a parallel universe, that's it. I also forget people if I haven't heard from them. It must be my mental training from my childhood to not pine for people.

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments it's just hard for me to let go or realize that he did. crap, it's hurts alot.

message 31: by Eileen (new)

Eileen BIG HUG, Suzanne

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments thanks eileen, cause i needed that. i waited a long time to find love and it took only a short time to lose it.

message 33: by Scott (new)

Scott That's always the way.

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments why is that? my heart is far too romantic and i should stop being such a sleeping beauty.

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments You can't help who you are, Suzanne. Don't let the pain turn you into someone you don't want to be.

message 36: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments i don't think waiting for someone to wake me up a la sleeping beauty, is very healthy. it's tough being single in a world of couples. especially at work. wow i am doing far too much bitching!!

message 37: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I could say there are plenty of fish in the sea, but you feel how you feel. I think that if someone doesn't love you the way you deserve to be loved, then to hell with him. I just see that there are plenty of great people out there. I've always tied myself down to some schmuck because I'm a very tolerant person, before I give myself a chance to discover someone better for me.

message 38: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments well as emily dickinson said "the heart wants what the heart wants" which i guess is true in my case. who knows if it's meant to be perhaps it will.

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott There are plenty of fish in the sea, but most of them should be thrown back.

message 40: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments very funny scott and probably quite true as well.

message 41: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Suzanne, maybe it will work out. Who knows. You seem to know what you wanted. I found out what I wanted by experiencing what I don't want.

message 42: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Suzanne, I've been there. My first love (an M and a Gemini!) and I should have never been together. I think at times I wanted him more than he wanted me and sometimes vice versa. But mostly it was a lot of us trying to one-up each other and see who could hurt the other more. It took me years to really get over him. In fact, it was only recently when he found me on facebook, that I realized that the M in my head and my heart no longer exists. It seems bleak now but there will be a time when you realize if he let you go, than he wasn't worthy of you anyway. HUGS!

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 154 comments i should know better, he's a leo and i'm a pisces, very bad combo. it does seem bleak but i will try to move on-heavy sigh!!

message 44: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments If you're really set on him, I'll give you some advice from this Leo, for what it's worth. Be his friend but don't chase him away by suffocating him. That will keep him remembering you in a relaxed way. Leos are very playful and affectionate when they're relaxed. He might one day become so relaxed and affectionate, it turns into something deeper. If you push al Leo too hard, they'll become aloof and may show claws. Staying out of his life completely might make the aloof Leo forget you. At least, this is this Leo's experience. :o).

message 45: by StephanieT (last edited Aug 18, 2010 07:48PM) (new)

StephanieT | 875 comments Aloha-X, what can you tell me about Taurus on the Aries cusp????

message 46: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments StephX, let me put on my third eye...not! It's common sense based on what I know of a Leo nature, which I personally know. :o). Heck, it's probably common sense, anyway. If you can't have a person intimately, and you still want to be in that person's life, then you stay in that person's life in a friendship, supportive way that is non-threatening. Then one day, that person may find you so comforting that he can't do without you. We're all a little lonely inside, and if there's a person around that gives nonpressuring unconditional love, we're gonna want it. I don't have the stomach to hang around and wait for a guy to love me, but other people might. I'm too much a Leo. I have to know I'm first choice. If I sense lukewarm, then it's time to move on.

message 47: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments StephX, are you a Taurus? I tell ya, I always link up with Tauruses, some on the Aries cusp. Sorry Suzanne, but I've never warmed up to Pisces and Scorpios. I find Scorpios have major stings.

message 48: by StephanieT (new)

StephanieT | 875 comments I'm deep in the heart of Virgo.
But what have you learned about guys that are T on the A cusp?

message 49: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments The ones I know are set in their ways, very faithful in relationships, but welcome unconventional philosophical ideas. Basically, their physical life is pretty boring and set, but their mental life is exciting. They want their life to be different, but they're happier in a stable life. Damn, how did I turn into an astrological interpreter? Because I'm not. :oD

message 50: by StephanieT (new)

StephanieT | 875 comments I dunno, you just pegged him pretty good in that paragraph.

« previous 1 3 4