Jane Austen discussion

Book: Persuasion > Other Characters

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by valee (new)

valee In here we can talk about other secondary characters we loved about this book.

message 2: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
The Elliot's are annoying, minus Anne, her sister doesn't care for her and neither does her dad! Mr Elliot randomly turning up and wanting to marry Anne - just no! And Mary is such a complainer!
Louisa was foolish but nice for Benwick to find someone to love again :)

message 3: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

What did we think of ....
The Elliot's? Mary, Elizabeth, Sir Walter?

message 4: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Oh my goodness, the way Anne's family treated her is so unnerving. I feel that she is an outsider to them. Sir Walter and Elizabeth are so vain especially Sir Walter. He thinks mostly about the way someone looks, his living above his station resulted in the family departure to Bath. At moment, I got furious, they rather take Mrs. Clay along than their own blood.

I am not sure what to make of Mrs Russel. At times I do not like her her counsel to Anne and at time I do because she is the only one who sticks up for her.

Mary, mary,mary....annoying, irritating, slap worthy. How did Charles Musgrove bear it!

I like Charles Hayter. He seemed like the man who wants to make an honest living and settling in peace. I do not know why Mary does not like him. Of course Mary thanks Henrietta is to high class for him. Henrietta and her sister Louisa are fun having girls. Girls who seize the moment and live merrily, giving little thought for anything else. Reminds me a bit of Lydia and Kitty Bennet.

I like Captain Benwick for selfish reasons :D. He appeals to me. He loves books (ding ding extra points). He also has that quiet temperance about him that I like. I am sorry that he was in mourning but happy that he could love again. Bless you Louisa, you got a good catch.

William Walter Eliot: schemer, liar, pretentious. Anyone who dashes compliments here and there with no mercy, bound to look suspicious. I wanted him to go away, so much.

I like Admiral Croft and Mrs Croft. Lovely couple, their marriage is blooming, you can tell they care for each other.

I seriously do not care for Dowager Dalrymple

I like Mrs Smith very much, I am pleased that Anne can have a true friend. Someone who is honest with her. I am glad she told her about ELiot.

message 5: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

My thoughts exactly!!

Anne's family are just awful!

Who was your favourite secondary character?

message 6: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments hmmm, my favourite secondary character.... I like Mrs Smith and Captain B but narrowing I would probably choose Captain Benwick.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Soph wrote: "The Elliot's are annoying, minus Anne, her sister doesn't care for her and neither does her dad! Mr Elliot randomly turning up and wanting to marry Anne - just no! And Mary is such a complainer!
L..."

Elliots, my dear Soph. Elliot's would mean that they had something, like "Elliot's coach". If the whole Elliot family owned it, then it would be "The Elliots' coach".
Sorry to go all grammar nazi. I think it is in my genes, because my mom has it too.

message 8: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Haha ;) I don't really proof read my comments ;) thanks ;)

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 11, 2012 01:09PM) (new)

You're welcome. Sorry for being so nitpicky.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. The Elliots, minus Anne, were all terrible. I disliked them immediately, and soon enough I was quite mortified of Mr. Elliot. At first he looks like a fantastic guy but you know something's got to be wrong with him because she obviously has to end up with Wentworth.
At first I was very confused about Wentworth's character. I didn't understand his actions or why there was so much tension between him and Anne. To tell you the truth, I disliked Wentworth very much in the beginning. But at the final chapter I liked him just enough to say he was tolerable.

message 11: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Feel sorry for Ann with her horrid family!

message 12: by A. (new)

A. (cinderella16) | 115 comments Okay, who likes Mrs. Smith? I really liked her character.

message 13: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes!! I really like her character! She is a great addition as well as being very important to the story :) she is really sweet and Anne's devotion is great as well!

message 14: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments I agree, I really like her. She is one of the few friends Anne has and a long term friendship it was.

message 15: by A. (new)

A. (cinderella16) | 115 comments I know, wasn't it sweet?

message 16: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

so sweet! good on Anne i say!

message 17: by A. (new)

A. (cinderella16) | 115 comments :)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I really like Mrs Smith (esp. as I am Mrs. Smith haha!) and she does Anne a great service, via her nurse and the local gossip! And it shows a lot about Anne's character that she has kept in contact.

message 19: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh yeah!! Haha Mrs Smith.
Well she is a fun character!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bierle (gazette665) | 68 comments The Elliot Family (with the exception of Anne, of course) are awful. And the whole Musgrove family is (how shall I say this?)...interesting.

As far as minor characters that I like:

Admiral and Mrs. Croft - they seem like fun and practical people.

Captain Harville - definitely a very minor character, but I always find his conversation with Anne just before THE Letter very sincere and insightful. I wish Jane Austen could have elaborated on the adventures of the three captains, but I guess it really doesn't matter in the story.

Sorry if this post is on an old-message board. If you'd prefer no comments on the older-boards, please just LMK. I do like these discussion boards a lot. Thanks.