Jane Austen discussion

General questions & discussions > Next Austen Read

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by valee (new)

valee Let's decide in here which Austen book shall we read next...

message 2: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 2 comments so what are we reading? I think i have sense and sensibility, pride and predjudice and persuasion...
I have also never acutally got through any of her books...haha but i want too

message 3: by valee (new)

valee Right now we are reading Mansfield Park. The next read will be next month and we will choose it all together.

message 4: by valee (last edited Sep 09, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

valee So Which should I read next? Anyone interested to join me? I mean it doesn't have to be right now. But at least let me know so I can go and buy it,lol.

I wanted to read northanger abbey maybe... any suggestions?

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Lady Vale which ones have you read so far?

message 6: by valee (new)

valee Mansfield Park. That's about it. Which one was your fav Katherine?

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (baroness7) | 6 comments I've always wanted to read Persuasion but I'm up for anything

message 8: by valee (new)

valee That was an amazing movie as well. We can read that one. I don't care which one because I wanna read them all.

Maybe I should start a poll to ask which one.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Of course any of them are worth reading. I'm up for whatever the group picks.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) Pride and Predjudice is awesome, i have sense and sensibility, but I haven't read it yet….I'm up for any of them…..but Pride and Predjudice does rock...

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (baroness7) | 6 comments I will be reading all of them as well so poll is a good idea.

message 12: by valee (last edited Sep 17, 2010 09:08AM) (new)

valee Well guys, Northanger Abbey will be our next read and will start October the 1st. Let me know ho's going to join.

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I'm confused, The poll says Northanger Abbey and I though last month the book was Mansfield Park. I just want to make sure before I go to get the book. Thanks.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) since we just read Mansfield Park, I'm guessing you meant Northanger Abbey. I will totally join in on the read, looking forward to it!

message 15: by valee (new)

valee Sorry about that. I was really distracted while writing that comment. Thank you for letting me know. The group had Northanger Abbey as upcoming read though, I hope it wasn't too confusing,lol. Northanger Abbey is next.

message 16: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) I'd like to join in with Northanger Abbey, haven't read it before but have it here sitting on my book shelf just waiting to be picked up!

message 17: by valee (new)

valee Awesome. We will be reading it this October and then discuss it ala together.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine It's been many years since I read it so this will be fun.

message 19: by valee (new)

valee Just got to the library and bought my copy of northanger abbey. Can't wait, this October will be fun.

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Ok I have my copy of Northanger Abbey so I am ready to go. :)

message 21: by valee (new)

valee There's many of us who will be reading the book, I'm so excited!

message 22: by valee (new)

valee Okay so I will be starting the group read of this month next week as I still have not finish another series that I am currently reading and I wont be able to concentrate if I don't finish that one first. But It wont take more than a week, so then NORTHANGER ABBEY for sure! Have any of you already started?
Have you noticed it is much shorter than another books by the author?

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi I've started Northanger Abbey. It's going to be a slow read for me. I've been at it for 3 days and only in the 3rd chapter. The chapters are short, too. I'll never last with it as my only read. I'll have to pick it up and just read a little at a time. Sense & Sensibility took me FOREVER to read. I think it was on the bedside table for a year or more at a time. But I did finish it. Yeah!

message 24: by valee (new)

valee LOL. Some reads are slower than others but not for that worse. I have not started it yet but I will today. I don't care for a slow read right now because I have finally finished the Warriors of Poseidon series (which was amazing and totally addictive) and I have too much to study. So this read will be exactly what I need right now. Can't wait.

message 25: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) Only just started, had a headache that lasted two days and just stopped me reading anything at all! I finished Ch 1 and I like it so far, I like the amused tone Jane Austen assumes and my first impression of Catherine Morland is that she is very likeable.

message 26: by valee (new)

valee Well Persuasion it is. We will start with this one November the 1st. I'll buy my copy soon.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi I just finished Persuasion so I'll be ahead of the game for a change! It's a great book. I loved every minute that I was reading it.

message 28: by Katherine (new)

Katherine So glad, can't wait to re-read this one.

message 29: by valee (new)

valee Oh no Lori, I'm so sorry you won't be able to read it with us. Try not to read the ones we still have to read so we can read them together. If you already read them, but a long time ago, that's fine. Maybe you could read it gain to remember it better. I can't wait to read Persuasion.

message 30: by valee (new)

valee I'll start Persuasion right after I finish the book I am currently reading. And decided to read Pride & Prejudice for December read as a present for the group. As it is everybody's fav it seem the best choice. But let me do if you prefer a poll. I just thought it would be perfect to read it in Christmas!

I'll post in the Persuasion folder as soon as I start reading it.

message 31: by Susana (new)

Susana | 3 comments The only ones I have left are Lady Susan and Emma...I think I'll start by reading Lady Susan.

message 32: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
Please let me know what Lady Susan is like.

Currenly reading P&P for the 2nd time and then i will be re reading Emma.

Read them all now appart from Lady Susan and her unfinshed works - read her 6 main ones :)

message 33: by Susana (new)

Susana | 3 comments I will :) From what I heard, it's unfinished but promising. The main character is said to be quite detestable, but I think Jane has a talent for making us almost like detestable creatures.

message 34: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments im reading sense and sensibility next :D how many does she have??

message 35: by Marren (last edited Nov 26, 2012 03:27PM) (new)

Marren | 764 comments She has seven completed novels Caro but she has other works. There is a thread some place in this group, where all her works are listed.

message 36: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Her main 6 are...
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Emma
Northanger Abbey
Persuasion
Mansfield Park
:)

message 37: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments okat got it

message 38: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments finished persuasion loved it...so what next?

message 39: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

So glad you loved. So, that Persuasion Emma and Pride and Prejudice ?

message 40: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments yup!!

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I say... Northanger Abbey :)

message 42: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments hmmmmmmm whats it about?

message 43: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

"Catherine Morland is a young girl with a very active imagination. Her naivety and love of sensational novels lead her to approach the fashionable social scene in Bath and her stay at nearby Northanger Abbey with preconceptions that have embarrassing and entertaining consequences."
~ Vintage Classics

(this bit is in my own words ;) )
The story of the innocent and naive Catherine Morland and her over-active imagination, just beginning to discover the ways of the real world, with the 'help' of the teasing Mr Tilney! Will she accept the ways of the real world, or it is possible to read too many novels?

My review: A very funny novel! This is primarily achieved through Austen's style of writing in this novel, as she is parodying the Gothic style, which was popular in her time. It is further achieved with the hero, who is constantly laughing at the rules of society - and laughing at the very innocent heroine! Fun and entertaining read :)

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Well put, Soph!

Caro... Northanger Abbey is a little different... it's almost more child-like (or Catherine, the heroine, is) than some of the others, but it's a lovely, lovely read. I can't sum it up any better than Soph but agree it's the best next one to read :)

message 45: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Northanger abbey was the one are first started writing so she was at her youngest which is probably why it has her youngest heroine (sense and Sensibility was the one that was published and finished first)