Jane Austen discussion

Book: Northanger Abbey > General thoughts about the book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by valee (new)

valee 'What have you been judging from?...Dearest Miss Morland, what ideas have you been admitting?'

During an eventful season at Bath, young, naive Catherine Morland experiences the joys of fashionable society for the first time. She is delighted with her new acquaintances: flirtatious Isabella, who shares Catherine's love of Gothic romance and horror, and sophisticated Henry and Eleanor Tilney, who invite her to their father's mysterious house, Northanger Abbey. There, her imagination influenced by novels of sensation and intrigue, Catherine imagines terrible crimes committed by General Tilney. With its broad comedy and irrepressible heroine, this is the most youthful and and optimistic of Jane Austen's works.

What were your thoughts about this one? **Remember: We are only talking about the book.**

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I probably need to re-read this book. I just don't have many memories of it, like I do the rest. So perhaps this needs to be a re-read before I comment on it.

message 3: by valee (new)

valee I have just bought my copy. I'm so happy! From all the movies, this one was my fav. I hope the book is even better.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi OK are we supposed to be commenting on Northanger Abbey before October 1st is even here when we are to be reading the book? I don't own the book yet. I did see the more recent televised version but that isn't the same. October 1st is still a week away. Give me time to have it sent to me by Paperback Swap!

message 5: by valee (new)

valee LOL, We'll start the book this October but you will have the whole month to read it. We will be discussing the book all October so there's plenty of time. I bought my copy yesterday and can't wait to read it. Mansfield Park was amazing. I hope this is as good or better. Although it is much shorter. My copy of Mansfield Park is 3 times bigger than Northanger Abbey.

message 6: by ضحى (new)

ضحى الحداد (dhlola) i have the audio and the written Version of the book so that i can still be reading while driving to college .. i didn't start reading yet but i can't wait until i begin

message 7: by valee (new)

valee Really? Half book without being in Northanger Abbey? hmmm, that doesn't sound too good,LOL.

message 8: by valee (new)

valee So far I have read the first 4 chapters. I love her writing style so much. It's so descriptive! Books are not like that anymore. You really feel like you're just there. I'm gonna read some more now. Can't wait to see Tinley again,LOL.

message 9: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) At the end of Chapter 5, there is a really interesting digression where Austen defends the value of the novel. I think that at this time in history, reading novels was considered by many in the upper classes to be a less than worth while activity so she feels the need to point out their worth!

message 10: by valee (new)

valee I know, I loved it how the author stops the novel form time to time to give her opinions.

message 11: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) It feels as if Austen is offering her opinions on the characters and other subjects in quite a free manner, I don't know if she usually does this to the same extent? I know I haven't been struck by it when reading her novels in the past but as I am re-reading them now perhaps there will be more examples. Anyway, I love the devise - it feels as if someone is confiding some gossip along with asides as and when the occur!

message 12: by valee (new)

valee Hey Em, there'a a thread to discuss this, it's:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I'm on chapter 7. It is fun to read the author's opinions during the story, but a much slower pace book than some of the others.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) I just finished the book yesterday. I really liked it. Not as good as pride and predjudice, but better than Mansfield Park (in my opinion) I like how Catherine is young and naive, but still has spunk and that curiosity, I love it, love her character. When I finished the book, I wanted more, I almost picked up another austen novel right then. I am anxious to hear everyone else's thoughts. As to the ending, it kind of just happens, I could almost wish for a bit more dialogue between the hero/heroine, but that's almost…the book was great the way it was.

message 15: by valee (new)

valee Really, you liked this one better than mansfield park?

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) Yeah, I just wasn't Fanny's biggest fan. I liked Mansfield Park, but I liked this book better, between Fanny and Catherine, I like Catherine better, that's really the biggest reason for me, I just related to Catherine more than Fanny, I guess...

message 17: by valee (new)

valee I liked Catherine better as well. But in an overall I liked Mansfield park more, maybe because it was longer. I'm not sure. Now we have to decide the one we will read next month.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I'm the same way Lady Vale. Though I didn't like Fanny at all, I still enjoyed the story of "Mansfield Park" better than "Northanger Abbey". This story could not hold my interest. If I didn't know better I would almost think this was her first novel but it wasn't.

message 19: by Em (last edited Oct 18, 2010 01:17PM) (new)

Em (emmap) I agree with the sentiments about Mansfield Park compared with Northanger Abbey although I am enjoying the latter. I think I read somewhere that Northanger Abbey was her first novel, but not published until after her death so that might account for your feelings about it.

message 20: by valee (new)

valee I think I read something like that as well. And I did enjoyed both as well.

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I think it was her third novel actually, but she couldn't get it published. One publisher finally bought it but never published it. It was many years later she bought it back and then it was sold again but after her death.

message 22: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
Loved it. The humour and the mocking of gothic style writing - just genius!! Fun And loved the story!!! And the characters!

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie Loved the story. The way she made fun of gothic novels and their effect on a young woman's fancies. Movie by BBC was done well as well. You can tell this is one of Austen's first books--it's very light--not as complicated as her following ones.

message 24: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments The humor about gothic novels is the characteristic I like the most in Northanger Abbey.
Do you really find the other Jane Austen novels to be complicated?

message 25: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It is very different, with the parody of the then popular gothic novels!
I loved this book! and Tilney is so funny!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I love Tilney! My 11 year old step daughter loves NA, it's her favourite (she hasn't read it - just loves the adaptation)

message 27: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

That is a good adaptation!

message 28: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments I like hearing Jane Austen in there. The times she asks the reader to think about this and that. I like the gentle budding relationship between Catherine and Henry. I like how the heroine gains her experiences and learn from being naive by herself. Catherine was really naive and so easy to trust almost anyone. She second guesses herself and is afraid to speak her mind. Gradually, that character comes out of her shell. She sure learned plenty about people and life in general.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) It is a definite 'coming of age' story - maybe all young girls should be made to watch it/read it :)

message 30: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments I agree.

message 31: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

i agree as well! and there are good lessons to be learnt from Isabella as well!

message 32: by Off (new)

Off Market578 (chasta_schneider) | 4 comments This is one of my favorites! Of course, they are all my favorites...but anyway- This one is very different IMO, in that JA is poking fun at young girls and their gothic novels and all of the drama that they create for themselves. I really love "seeing" the characters grow and mature throughout. It offers nice lessons but they are very subtle.

message 33: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh I completely agree! The mocking throughout was so funny and with a very funny hero also mocking society! It was very different and very enjoyable!! Love seeing how Catherine grows through the novel as well!

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I love the way Catherine grows through out the novel, too - at the beginning she is so naive about the world, and by the end she's very wise...

message 35: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

She really is! It's great :)

message 36: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments STARTED THIS jane austen style is getting easier and easier to read!!!

message 37: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes! And this one in particular is easier to read cause of the style it is written in. Enjoy :)

message 38: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Caro, how's it going? :)

message 39: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments DID JANE AUSTEN JUST START WRITING ABOUT A BLOODIED ROOM KNIVES AND THEN THE CANDLE GOING OUT?? this is the creepiest austen ive ever read..

message 40: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 6 comments I'm glad to see this thread. I recently bought the book, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

The entire book is a parody of the then popular gothic novels so yes she does, to make fun of it. I know the bit where you are so soon you will see that the whole candle going our etc was really nothing - does it to name fun ;)

message 42: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

And I hope you enjoy it Maraylene :)

message 43: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments yeaah kk

message 44: by Dana (new)

Dana (elkins_88) I really enjoyed Northanger Abbey- it was so different from her other novels with the little bit of Gothic splash/satire in it. The characters, especially Catherine and Mr. Tilney, were great. I agree with Sarah, it was fun to see Catherine grow and to see how Tilney challenged her thoughts and ideas.

message 45: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I agree! I really enjoyed reading it as well :) the satire and gothic influences is what I love :)

message 46: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments i. have. finished.

message 47: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

and and and...?

message 48: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments whew wow. i liked this alright it was addicting at some parts and eh at others i loved eleanor hated isabella and i didnt see what was so great about henry lol!

message 49: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Ohhh!! Really? Didn't you like his sarcasm and teasing of the ever so innocent Catherine?
I am glad you liked it! Isabella is a horrid gold digger and Eleanor is lovely! She would be a lovely sister I reckon :)

message 50: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments haha yes! jane austens getting soo easy to read now!

« previous 1