The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Evolutionary Void

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments So I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of Peter F. Hamilton's void trilogy which comes out next tue. Its probably a little too much to ask for that to be the next group book, but once i finish Before They Are Hanged i plan to grab it. im trying to decide if i should read the other two again first, but i probably cant wait to see if the two universes meet and how that will unravel

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments +1, but I could live without any more of the 'fantasy' side of the story. I actually read the 1st 2 void books before the prequel, pandora's star/judas unchained, because the beginning seemed more exciting.

message 3: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments How did u like the idea of returning to the pandora universe a few hundred years later and the inclusion of some methuseluh characters from the first series like Paula Myo/Ozzie. I hear what your saying on the fantasy side, not what he's best at, but i really like the idea of magical energy exertion having a cost in terms of physics, in fact i should put that in the magic system thread too. I forget, have the primes shone up yet?

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Like I said I read the void books first, so I have no idea. :)

message 5: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments oic thought u read em, check em out great interstellar war and a really cool alien intelligence

message 6: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 16, 2010 08:06AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments I did read them after the fact. I might have liked them more in the second series. Btw, Ozzy is black. Someone made a scene from Pandora's Star on youtube and didn't realize it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6OOn...

message 7: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments lol i love attention to details. One i just noticed was in one the David Farland books, a charcter has wings that are described over and over again as red, crimson, vermilllion, whatever, so the artist does the cover and they are green... do you remember if the primes from the first series are in this one too?

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Is that the motiles and immotiles? Not that much. Speaking of covers, it always annoys me that the Shrike has 2 arms instead of 4 on some of the Hyperion books.

message 9: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments It's out!

message 10: by Richelle (last edited Aug 24, 2010 05:18PM) (new)

Richelle (richellet) | 37 comments Halbot42 wrote: "lol i love attention to details. One i just noticed was in one the David Farland books, a charcter has wings that are described over and over again as red, crimson, vermilllion, whatever, so the a..."

I heard Michael Whelan once talk about doing book covers. He said that now he can usually read the whole book (or at least the draft) or work with the author directly. But most artists, especially those just starting out may only get one chapter, one page or even just a short synopsis to base the art on.

message 11: by Halbot42 (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments i understand that, i guess i just wish someone in the chain was committed enough to notice the error before they make it to publication. Also, you'd think a synopsis of a scene including winged characters would describe the wings in some detail.
On another note, yay, its out, need to go to Barnes tomorrow and pick it up, read the first couple pages online and am hooked already. Now i gotta make room betweeen Last Argument of Kings, The Prefect, The Atrocity Archives, Best Served Cold.
O yeah, Michael Whelan is a genius isnt he, his Dark Tower work for King is wonderful

message 12: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments I just started The Dreaming Void- does it "come together" at some point? Right now I am trying to figure out what is happening and what they're talking about without resorting to reading a synopsis or something.

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments You mean the scifi part and the 'fantasy' part? Not til the 3rd book. :)

message 14: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments Tamahome wrote: "You mean the scifi part and the 'fantasy' part? Not til the 3rd book. :)"

If you meant meee, I mean just the whole "what's happening?" thing. Ethan? Inigo? dreams? Huh? I am not normally that slow on the uptake.

message 15: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 08, 2010 05:59PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Edeard's world comes in much later, but yes the other characters do come together. I just remember some great action scenes with 'The Agent' and Araminta getting a boyfriend with a lot of extra hands. :)

message 16: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments ha, well if your clearest memory isn't remaining confused and bewlidered, then I'll persist. Thanks :-)

message 17: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Got book 3, found i couldnt remember too many details so im starting whole series over, so far moving much faster than i remember, 2100 pages to go whooo hooo....

message 18: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments Normally ye olde fantasye worlds aren't my thing but once I got to the first chapter set in Edeard's world I became a lot more engaged. I'm quite liking it now.

message 19: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments Ok, I'm still reading this- and I'm starting to follow it and enjoy it (about 70% of the way through). It occurred to me today that maybe I have a lot of confusion about things that the book just takes as "givens" because I haven't read any of the other books apparently set in this universe? Is that so or not, what do you think? There is a lot of reference to past history and with people living for thousands of years, it seems like the backstory may be in those other books.

message 20: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments It's actually the 3rd part of a trilogy, and a sequel to 2 other books. :)

message 21: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments duh, I'm reading the 'Dreaming Void', sorry. I did go to the start of the trilogy :-). It's still kind of assuming a lot of prior knowledge. Perhaps.

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments I actually read Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained after Dreaming Void/Temporal Void, same as you. Pandora's Star starts a little slow, but technically they come first.

message 23: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments ok cool! As long as I'm no more mystified than I ought to be at this stage. ;-)

message 24: by Halbot42 (last edited Oct 09, 2010 02:20PM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Pandora/Judas come first, they introduce Hamilton's third universe, where mulitple planets are connected by trains that run through wormholes. There is an evil alien presence in the human universe called the Starflyer and a small dedicated resistance that fights it. The Starflyer is actaully an individual of a species called Primes which usually consist of a central organism called immotile that is a central brain and controls several to thousands of clones of it that move and build and fight. These were encased in a huge force field that encompassed the two star systems the Primes lived in, built by some unkown third party of aliens that wanted to keep the primes confined. The Starflyer caused Humanity to breach the force field which released the Primes and interstellar warfare and wackiness ensues. The Void series is in the same universe a few thousand years later and adds the fantasy elements as well. One of the coolest series in scifi, im about done rereading Void 1 so i can fully appreciate the third.

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments The chapter that introduces the alien MorningLightMountain in Pandora's Star is really chilling.

message 26: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 58 comments I wondered if all that Starflyer "stuff" was from the previous series or if it was going to become clear later on. Thanks.

message 27: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments More from the previous series.

message 28: by Mark (new)

Mark Miller (mercutiom) | 28 comments There are some elements to the motiles in the second series, and I expect (read: hope) the third book to delve deeper into that. I haven't started it yet, as I'm finishing off another series first. Can't wait to pick it up though.