YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Book talk > repeated vs different narrators

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 18 comments Is there a good series that has different narrators from book to book, or do the best ones have the same narrator throughout?

message 2: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
good question i am not sure i think it is a toss up

message 3: by s-hastings (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) Hmmm....i think it depends on the book. If its a serious, hard-core book like Harry Potter, it needs to be one person. But in books like The Ask and The Answer, and Shiver, I really liked the trade off narrator thing.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahashari) | 318 comments It depends on the author in my opinion. Sometimes they can only write from one person's perspective. The Imortal Instruments changes narratives a few times but for the most part, it's told from Clary's perspective.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Think it depends on the story. If there's a lot going on that the protagonist wouldn't know about but the reader needs to know changing POV can be the only way to get it to work; or when two or more story lines are going simultaneously. Or it can be used emotively as in Noughts & Crosses. In this book it's used really well to show two sides of life. And I agree with Athena Jane that it wouldn't always work.

message 6: by LilaBird (new)

LilaBird | 22 comments I enjoyed it in Shiver as well, but the guy who narrated Sam's voice was UBER-annoying. He sounded like a 40-year old Disney prince. Not an 18-year old sexy werewolf boy. Gross.

message 7: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

i think the solo view is good as long as the character is not annoying but i like the shifting point of view to it works well in some novels but it is bad in others i hate the shifting in HoN i wish they would stick to Zoey and maybe Stivie Rae

message 8: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 18 comments I was looking for a good series where each book has a different narrator. It seems like readers who like the first book might be disappointed when the next book and the next have different narrators from the first. I might even be disaapointed. But I'm still looking for a series like this.

message 9: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

have you tried wicked lovely?

message 10: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 18 comments I did read that and liked it. Is the second book narrated by a different character?

message 11: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Yes. Ink Exchange is from Leslie, Niall, and Irial's point of view

Fragiel Eternity shifts back to Ash, Seth and Kenan

Radiant Shadows goes to Ani and Devlin

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 37 comments I really enjoy reading books that have more than one author. I feel like i get to know each narrator better, i don't have to wonder what so-n-so was thinking. I can understand their mind and motives better when the narrator is shifting. Shiver and Linger were great with the different narrators. I also liked the Wicked Lovely series too.

message 13: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 18 comments Do you ever find, when the second book in a series has a different narrator than the first, that you're disappointed and want the orginal narrator back?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahashari) | 318 comments Yeah, that happens to me all the time.

message 15: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

yea i feel like that alot but with Wicked Lovely i liked the new narrator you should try that series

message 16: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 18 comments I will. Thanks all!

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments House Of Night trades of narrators all through the books...

message 18: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 18 comments Thanks, Catherine. I've heard good things about that series.

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments Saytchyn wrote: "Thanks, Catherine. I've heard good things about that series."

People either love it or hate it. I love it & Artemis loves it... But a lot of other people can't stand it. You should give it a shot though!

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 128 comments I actually love different points of view in books. If it is done correctly it really brings all sides of the story to life.

message 21: by ari ♥ (last edited Jan 21, 2011 10:21AM) (new)

ari ♥ (arianara) | 323 comments Samantha wrote: "I actually love different points of view in books. If it is done correctly it really brings all sides of the story to life."

yeah that way you know what different characters are thinking of the same things :D

message 22: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments I have read a few books where the author's voice genuinely seems to change when they write as a guy or girl in their book. For the life of me, nothing is coming to mind right now but I remember just a couple of months ago reading something and being in awe. Also in the 'Life As We Knew It' series, Susan Pfeffer does a good job changing voices. One other author I think does a good job of it is Maggie Stiefvater in her Wolves of Mercy Falls series.

message 23: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (biancaast) I really like the Mortal Instruments series where there is a different narrator. Same for Wolves of Mercy Falls or Wicked Lovely.
I personally like it better when there are different narrator throughout the book because you can see what everybody thinks and not just what the main character thinks everybody is thinking (lol) and as Samantha said it makes everything more real.

message 24: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 8 comments Personally, I enjoy the books that have multiple narrators. The ones that switch to the perspective of different characters each chapter... :)

message 25: by Patti (last edited Aug 03, 2011 11:55PM) (new)

Patti Roberts | 7 comments I like multiple narrators when the story calls for it. It is nice having different characters perspectives. It gives the reader more insight and the story more depth.

The time travelers wife for example would never had worked as well with just one narrator.

YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Noughts & Crosses (other topics)