Chicks On Lit discussion

Anyone want to do a fall challenge?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 27 comments Hi Everyone!

I'm always browsing posts for this group and noticed a summer challenge that's been going on, so I was inspired to try to come up with a challenge for fall. Would anyone be interested? These are the topics I have so far (like I said, I was inspired by other challenges I've seen on the site, so I can't say they're very original!):

1. For back to school, choose a book that is commonly read in high school but you never read. Or re-read a book that you read in high school.

2. For Columbus Day, read a historical fiction book set in the 15th century. Or choose a book with any of the following words in the title: Columbus, explore, explorer, ocean, America, sea, ship, boat, sail, or any other word related to the holiday.

3. For Veteran’s Day, choose a book about any of the wars the US has fought in.

4. For thanksgiving, choose a book that focuses on Native American culture – fiction or non-fiction.

5. Choose a book from a friend's read list.

6. Choose a book with a red, orange, yellow, or brown cover.

7. Choose a book that takes place in the country/one of the countries from which your ancestors came.

I was hoping to come up with 10 topics, so if anyone has any suggestions, please post them! :)

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 209 comments You could add a Halloween/Horror/Gothic/Ghost book.

message 3: by Delaney (new)

Delaney (delaneyo) | 3 comments I like this.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Great idea!

message 5: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments This sounds like fun!

message 6: by Arica (new)

Arica Flores | 12 comments This sounds great! I went on vacation and finished up my summer reads.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Oh man that's tempting...

message 8: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) Hmmmm it is a bit tempting and I like the gothic suggestion, I haven't read Dracula yet and really want to get to it soon.

message 9: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) Oooh and Gone With the Wind could be a US war book and that means I could attempt my first ever chunky read!!

I'm sorry, struggling for originality after a long day at work but a book with "Fall" or "Autumn" (as we Brits call it) in the title?

message 10: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 27 comments Great idea! I'm excited to start this, and I have to admit I'm tempted to add The Boy From Baby House 10 to the challenge only because I've nominated it for group reads twice and it never got picked. :(
But I'll keep it out of the challenge, if anyone wants to read it, let me know and I'll do a buddy read!

Annie Laurie (WI) | 26 comments How about a book about the beginning of labor unions or something like that, in honor of Labor Day? (and also because I just added a couple of books like that to my shelves? ;)

message 12: by Annie Laurie (WI) (last edited Aug 17, 2010 07:51PM) (new)

Annie Laurie (WI) | 26 comments Jacki wrote: "Great idea! I'm excited to start this, and I have to admit I'm tempted to add The Boy From Baby House 10 to the challenge only because I've nominated it for group reads twice and it never got picke..."

Jackie - I would love to read this book! I'm just not sure, with the beginning of the school year, if I'll be able to do that and also the chunky read coming up, both at the same time.

message 13: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 27 comments Annie Laurie (WI) wrote: "Jacki wrote: "Great idea! I'm excited to start this, and I have to admit I'm tempted to add The Boy From Baby House 10 to the challenge only because I've nominated it for group reads twice and it n..."

Great idea about the Labor Day book choice, Annie, I had no idea what to use for the holiday.
Also, Whenever you are ready to read the book, just let me know! I've read it already so I'm not in a hurry. I'm just glad to find someone to talk about it with! :) And trust me, I understand how reading time goes way down when school starts - just one more reason it's such a sad time of the year!

Annie Laurie (WI) | 26 comments Hi Jacki!
Since I'm new here, maybe you can tell me a little bit about these "challenges". Since you brought up this great idea (thanks!), do you pick a book for each topic? Or does anyone participating choose her own book for each of the "topics" you choose? Will we create our own "challenge" list & review the books we read, or is it more like a "thread" to follow as we read each book?

I won't forget about The Boy book. It's on my to-read list. Hey! If you & I become friends on here, and that book is on your shelf, that could count as my friends book for this challenge! ;)

message 15: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 27 comments Annie Laurie (WI) wrote: "Hi Jacki!
Since I'm new here, maybe you can tell me a little bit about these "challenges". Since you brought up this great idea (thanks!), do you pick a book for each topic? Or does anyone partici..."

Perfect! I just added you!
The way I understand challenges (this is my first time doing one and I'm just basing it off of what I've seen) is that each person picks their own books for each topic in the challenge and that makes up your list. I hadn't thought about each person reviewing their books, but that would be a good thing to do if anyone wants to. I guess I'll just keep it as a thread where anyone can say what they're reading and give updates on their progress, with the option of giving reviews.
I hope that makes sense!

Annie Laurie (WI) | 26 comments Jacki wrote: "Annie Laurie (WI) wrote: "Hi Jacki!
Since I'm new here, maybe you can tell me a little bit about these "challenges". Since you brought up this great idea (thanks!), do you pick a book for each top..."

Thanks for adding me, Jacki, and yes, how you described it makes sense. We all add our read books to our shelves anyway, right? :)

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments What would be the timeline for the challenge?

message 18: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 27 comments I'm thinking it would start Sept. 1 and run through Dec. 1. Sorry, I forgot to mention that, thanks for asking!

Annie Laurie (WI) | 26 comments Yey! I am excited! Already started my Labor Day book: The Lean Years: A History of the American Worker, 1920-1933. It's going to be more of a "text"-type of book, I think, and take a bit more time for me to get through. But I might be wrong.

message 20: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 27 comments Ok, I figured it would be easier for me to post a new message with all the topics we came up with, and the dates so here's what I have:

The challenge will go from September 1 - December 1. If you'd like to start a book now, that's fine. Also, if you're still reading a book past December 1, it would still count.

Each person would choose their own book for each topic listed (if anyone has lists that might help in choosing books, feel free to post them!). You may review each book you read and post the reviews on this discussion board if you'd like, but don't feel obligated to do reviews. The main point is to keep tracks of your reading and keep up to date with each other.

--The topics:

1. For back to school, choose a book that is commonly read in high school but you never read. Or re-read a book that you read in high school.

2. For Columbus Day, read a historical fiction book set in the 15th century. Or choose a book with any of the following words in the title: Columbus, explore, explorer, ocean, America, sea, ship, boat, sail, or any other word related to the holiday.

3. For Veteran’s Day, choose a book about any of the wars the US has fought in.

4. For Thanksgiving, choose a book that focuses on Native American culture – fiction or non-fiction.

5. Choose a book from a friend's read list.

6. Choose a book with a red, orange, yellow, or brown cover.

7. Choose a book that takes place in the country/one of the countries from which your ancestors came.

8. For Halloween, choose a Halloween/Horror/Gothic book.

9. For Labor Day, choose a book about the beginning of labor unions.

Have fun!! :)

message 21: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 27 comments To start my fall challenge, I'm going to try to read a book about Gettysburg which would count for a book about a war the US has fought in. I had started it early in the summer but couldn't get though it, so hopefully this challenge will motivate me!

Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage