The Personal MBA discussion

any interest in having a group here?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (cheekyboots) | 5 comments Hi,
I just found this group and the PMBA program. I like it! I am wondering if the people in this group want to start talking about the books or reading them together. I realize there is a "community" section on the PMBA site, but I like GoodReads and this feels more homey.
So...is anybody out there?

Emma

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom | 3 comments HI Emma,
I don't mind talking about the books. I'm afraid I can't read them with you though, as I have very limited reading time these days.
What are you hoping to get out of the PMBA? Or do you just want to read ALL of them — like me :-)
Tom

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (cheekyboots) | 5 comments I guess I just wanted a community to read them in. I read a lot of business books but never in a structured way with people to talk about them with.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed (edmarshall3) | 4 comments Hi Emma. I would be interested in a book club-type group for PMBA. I started a PMBA book club in my local community and while it has been slow to take off the discussions have been valuable and fun. I have also just tried video chat (using tokbox.com) with another PMBA'er on the west coast with decent results. So I would be interested in a virtual chat group or a live video chat group. I know 2-3 other people from our current group who may be interested in either options or combining efforts. Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Ed

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (cheekyboots) | 5 comments Hi,
OK, well I'm most interested in just using the message boards here, rather than video chat. We could pick one book per month to read and discuss? Or maybe two?
Emma

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed (edmarshall3) | 4 comments OK, I read one book a month with my book club and have read several on the PMBA list so if the discussion covers one of those I would be interested in participating. Great idea.

Ed

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma (cheekyboots) | 5 comments Well, do you want to sync it up with your other book club? Then you'd only be reading the one a month, and you'd be more likely to participate here. I can't exactly talk to myself and so far you are the only one who responded. =) Others may join but I'd like to at least start out with some people who are committed to participating each month. Otherwise it won't last very long.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (dstudnicky) Hi all,

I think it's excellent this group is getting some activity. I think the best way to organize those discussions is to open a new thread for each book on the reading list. That way whoever reads a book later can benefit from the discussion that occurred before.

Also, the reading list here is as of PMBA v2. The reading list was updated earlier this year, but I haven't updated it on Goodreads yet.

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed (edmarshall3) | 4 comments Emma,

Sounds good. How about one we just finished - "First, Break All the Rules". It would be a good one to kick things off. It's a fairly quick read and has lots of potential points for discussion.

Ed

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed (edmarshall3) | 4 comments I'll be starting Blue Ocean Strategy next week. Is anyone interested in starting a discussion thread?

Ed

message 11: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 2 comments There hasn't been much activity in the group for awhile but thought I would ask again if anyone is interested in reading the PMBA books as a group. My goal for 2011 is to read 10 of the books off the list. I am starting with
Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us . It's short, if that helps ;)

message 12: by Lance (new)

Lance | 2 comments I'm interested, if anything turns up of this.

message 13: by Christian (new)

Christian | 2 comments Hey guys!
I'm definitely up for a group book discussion. I'm just finishing up How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. I'd love to talk about any of the books that I've finished already and could potentially talk about a new one if you give me a couple weeks to read it!

Christian

message 14: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 2 comments Hey Moderator Dan - can you set up a poll to see what everyone wants to read next? I nominate books that have been mentioned recently: Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us and How to Win Friends & Influence People. Any other nominations?

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan (dstudnicky) I added a poll for the first book to read for February 2011. I also allowed write ins.

message 16: by Lance (new)

Lance | 2 comments Mallory wrote: "Hey Moderator Dan - can you set up a poll to see what everyone wants to read next? I nominate books that have been mentioned recently: Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us and [book:How to..."

Napoleon on Project Management by Jerry Manas. A little business with a little history (light military strategy). It's an interesting read -that I started but didn't finish.

and on the vein of strategy:
Robert Greene's The 33 Strategies of War.

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Melick | 1 comments Hi there, I am interested in reading and discussing Tribes. I have placed my vote. Cheers