Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Setting Goals

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Christina | 6 comments I had set a goal of 50 books this year, but my old job got in the way of that. Now that I am laid off, I guess I can catch up on my reading. That is if I ever work my way through Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell.

message 2: by Sheri (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Sheri | 11 comments I am not setting any real numbers goals but am trying to read through a stack I have on my bedside. I try to read a little bit each day and take a book with me wherever I go and have to wait on lines.....school pickup, docter, etc.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) My only goal is to read all the books I have on my to-read list. I have no time frame.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Meghan My friend got me on the 50 books in a year challenge. I'm about 4 books away from that. But I broke my 50 books down by fiction, non-fiction, book club, half-read, and classic. I figured if I read 10 from each it will help me complete my goal of reading different genres while also completing my 50 book goal. It hasn't quite worked out that way (tended to read more fiction than anything else) but I've come closer to reaching "read a fiction/non-fiction/classic per month" goal this year than any other year. And I still have 2.5 months left to go, so I still could achieve it!

message 5: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I joined Scotts group and set a challenge at the end of sept for a goal of 50 books this yr. Im working on my 5th right now, so im averaging a wee bit more than one a week, which is a pretty healthy pace for me.

Although, a good part of that has to do with the fact that Ive been off of work for the past two weeks due to surgery.... Once im back in work and back on my reg schedule, im sure i will slow down tremendously!

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm the friend who got Meghan started on the 50 books challenge. Last year I only read 35, this year I'm on #51 and it's only October. Of course, I haven't been working since February, so I have a lot more time! Anyway, I think next year I am going to bump up my goal to 60 books. I really like Meghan's idea of breaking down the categories too. One category I want to do next year is children's and young adult's books. I want to re-read a lot of the books I loved as a kid, like A Wrinkle In Time and Anne of Green Gables. And I've done pretty well with the classics this year, partly because of my English Lit class. I've read 8 classics so far this year, and I'm hoping to end the year with 10. I'd also like to challenge myself to read more nonfiction. So I think I'll try to read ten children's books, ten classics, ten nonfiction, and then let the other 30 be anything that just looks like fun.

message 7: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (bricoleur) | 5 comments I just subscribed to another group that has an interesting take on the challenge question:
To quote:
"Every book-addict knows the problem. We have tons of unread books on our shelves, yet we never seem to get to read them, as we always go out to buy new books instead, borrow them from friends or take them out of the library.

This group is for people who want to try to change that. The goal is to each month read one book from your shelves that you've never read before. Every 6 months, post a list of the 6 books you want to read next, and then let us know how you're doing."

The group is tbr-reading challenge

Now off to join the group suggested in this topic!

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Meghan You have to read Lois Lowry. I like the Giver, but Gathering Blue was really good too. They're short but they offer a lot of social commentary. Like a young person's Margaret Atwood.

message 9: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments Meghan, I love Lois Lowry, Gathering Blue is one of my favorites but so is Anastasia Again.

On subject, I never really have a yearly goal, but there are 91 unread books in my room right now. I usually read a few different genre's at a time and I can read through some books fast where others take me more time. For instance, I just finished reading three fantasy books and two Christian romance in the last four days but have been reading David Copperfield for a month. I think the most I have read in a day is three books. I usually average two books per week but have read as many as 15, it just depends on how deep they are and how busy I am with work/school. I also have so many unread books cause when I buy a series I like to get them all so I don't have to keep going back.
I guess my goal is to try to finish as many books before Christmas as I can for I know I will be getting more ... sigh, so many books so little time.