The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.10 - Name That Car

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 23, 2010 03:12PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
5.10- Name That Car
October 2nd is Name Your Car Day. Read a book with a title that contains a word or words that someone might name their car if they were so inclined. (EXAMPLES: Beast, Baby Baby, Asking for Trouble, Summer On Blossom Street (Blossom being the car's name), Frankenstein, etc.). OPTIONAL: Tell us why you chose that name.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:47PM) (new)

Yes -- These books would fit this task:

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:48PM) (new)

No -- These books do not fit this task:

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 661 comments Love this task! I finally have a place to fit The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade by Thomas Lynch. I guess there has to be one advantage to owning an older car that constantly needs work to keep her going.

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Janice CA wrote: "Love this task! I finally have a place to fit The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade by Thomas Lynch. I guess there has to be one advantage to owning an o..."

What would you call the car, Janice?

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 661 comments My line of thinking was naming her "the undertaking" because she's like a project that is never finished. If it doesn't work, I totally understand. Thanks.

message 8: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2108 comments I'll use the name my husband has given his car:

LADY

Because, obviously, as temperamental as his car is, it has to be female; plus, if he treats his car "like a lady" it will do its duty of getting him from here to there without breaking down.

message 9: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I like this task because naming a car is so subjective.

I'm using Lucky, which could go to a car that gets in wrecks or undergoes HEAVY use but lasts seemingly forever, anyway.

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lady and Lucky certainly work.

Janice - The Undertaking wouldn't really work, but you could make a case for calling a car Dismal (as in a forlorn, wretched little thing) ;o). No matter what you decide to call it, put the name of the car in your post.

message 11: by Zimbellina (new)

Zimbellina | 109 comments So would The Reckoning work?

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kandie wrote: "So would The Reckoning work?"

If your car is your punishment (or nemesis), it would work.

message 13: by Zimbellina (new)

Zimbellina | 109 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Kandie wrote: "So would The Reckoning work?"

If your car is your punishment (or nemesis), it would work."

When our last car was dying it occasionally felt that way ;) Thanks!

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I am naming my car The Gargoyle. :oD

message 15: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) When I met my husband he had a car named "Heat Wave", candy apple red, 66 Dodge Charger, he loved that car and we spent many happy hours riding around (spent a lot of time at gas stations too, it was a guzzler)! I would love to use that and pick a title that fits.

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cait wrote: "I am naming my car The Gargoyle. :oD"

LOL ;o).

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Barbara wrote: "When I met my husband he had a car named "Heat Wave", candy apple red, 66 Dodge Charger, he loved that car and we spent many happy hours riding around (spent a lot of time at gas stations too, it w..."

You could read Heat Wave. The TV show it originated from is pretty fun.

message 18: by Pinky_rocks (new)

Pinky_rocks | 68 comments Would "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson work? The car's name would be Thunderbolt...
I absolutely can't find a book with my own car's name, which is "Blödel" (means "jerk")...

message 19: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Barbara wrote: "When I met my husband he had a car named "Heat Wave", candy apple red, 66 Dodge Charger, he loved that car and we spent many happy hours riding around (spent a lot of time at gas st..."

Thanks Kristi,
I saw this one but was not sure if it was the first in the series of "Castle" books, I really like to start at the beginning of a series! I will give this a try.

message 20: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I'm thinking of using The Poe Shadow for a car nickname of "Shadow". My husband had a dark gray -- truly a beautiful color on that car -- Accord.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Here's some car names I've heard over the years...

Mickey/Minnie
Rosie/Rosita
POS/PITA - piece of @#!% / pain in the @%&
SOL - @#!% out of luck
Bullet
Lightning
Bessie
Baby

message 22: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I am looking for a really good book with the word "Baby" in the title. That is what I have always called all my cars.

message 23: by Kristina Simon (new)

Barbara wrote: "I saw this one but was not sure if it was the first in the series of "Castle" books, I really like to start at the beginning of a series!."

Yes, it's the first one. I like to read series in order, too, but I've yet to pick this one up. It's been on my TBR shelf since it came out, but, you know... Too many books! ;o) Hope you enjoy it.

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Pinky_rocks wrote: "Would "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson work? The car's name would be Thunderbolt...
I absolutely can't find a book with my own car's name, which is "Blödel" (means "jerk")..."

Thunderbolt would certainly work. Although I like "jerk" ;o). It made me laugh, but I didn't find many books with "jerk" in the title either.

message 25: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments OK, our family has always named our cars, right now they are:
Hank
Lily
Mouse
Betty

I want to use Lily, I think, do subtitles count, for example,Shakespeare's Christmas, the cubtitle is A Lily Bard Mystery?

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments The Jerk -- This one is by Steve Martin the comedian.

message 27: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Hrrrmmmmm... I need to think about this one a bit more. We had an Alfred and Grayson (Will Grayson, Will Grayson?), and now we have a Samantha. I haven't named my car yet... Hrrrmmmm....

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 696 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Hrrrmmmmm... I need to think about this one a bit more. We had an Alfred and Grayson (Will Grayson, Will Grayson?), and now we have a Samantha. I haven't named my car yet... Hrrrm..."

Believe it or not I have a book called Grayson by Lynne Cox on my TBR list. I read another one of her books, Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer which I thought was good.

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "I want to use Lily, I think, do subtitles count, for example,Shakespeare's Christmas, the subtitle is A Lily Bard Mystery? "

Yes. Just include the subtitle when you post the completed task and point out that you're using Lily as the car's name.

message 30: by Nicki (new)

Nicki H (nickihermann) How about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? I think Prince would be an okay name for a car.

message 31: by Amanda B. (new)

Amanda B. | 115 comments Is Beloved ok? I'm torn between Frankenstein and Beloved

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would an acceptable name be The Wind?

message 33: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Meghan: for "baby", there is a book called Nobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. It's a chick-lit/romance light read, but it's written very well.

message 34: by Usako (last edited Aug 25, 2010 11:05AM) (new)

message 35: by Kristina Simon (new)

Nicki wrote: "How about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? I think Prince would be an okay name for a car."

Prince is good.

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

Amanda wrote: "Is Beloved ok? I'm torn between Frankenstein and Beloved"

Can't help you with the decision ;o). They both work.

message 37: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Would an acceptable name be The Wind?"

Sure.

message 38: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments I think Minnie would be a good name for a car, especially if it was a Mini, so can I read Minnie's Room?

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments My best friend's cars have been Cloud and Peoria. I think she's had a Davenport or Decatur, too. Mine is Sleipnir Percival Darcy the Third ("Jack" for short).

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Wendy UK wrote: "I think Minnie would be a good name for a car, especially if it was a Mini, so can I read Minnie's Room?"

Yes, Minnie works. (I have a friend whose license plate for his Mini reads "Mini." He also has a full size van that he had repainted to match the color scheme of the Mini. The van's license plate says "Maxi.")

And, Ms. Anderson, you're cracking me up ;o).

message 41: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: " Wendy UK wrote: "I think Minnie would be a good name for a car, especially if it was a Mini, so can I read Minnie's Room?"

Yes, Minnie works. (I have a friend whose license plate..."

Thanks Kristi

message 42: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I named my car Minnie (spelled that way). Mostly b/c the front looked like Mickey Mouse's buttons *BUT* cars have to be girls so I went with Minnie :P

message 43: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2131 comments My first car was called Little Old Emma, or Emma for short. It shouldn't be too hard to find a book with that name.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I never have named my car but I decided upon The Red Pony because it's red and it compared to other cars it is slow and trots like a pony. :)

message 45: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jamie wrote: "I never have named my car but I decided upon The Red Pony because it's red and it compared to other cars it is slow and trots like a pony. :)"

LOL

message 46: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Jamie wrote: "I never have named my car but I decided upon The Red Pony because it's red and it compared to other cars it is slow and trots like a pony. :)"

That is totally legit. I knew someone who had a gorgeous blue mustang and she named it the blue pony.

message 47: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I always thought Daisy is a neat name for a car. It makes me think of the movie "Driving Miss Daisy", but I'm going to read Daisy Miller by Henry James.

message 48: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Coralie wrote: "My first car was called Little Old Emma, or Emma for short. It shouldn't be too hard to find a book with that name."

There is a book called Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock

message 49: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) [image error]

Okay, my most beloved car ever, was called 'Chitty'...can I read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming?

Sorry for having to ask...all of my subsequent cars were less loved and really oddly named so this task is proving a bit tricky to me. I currently have a new car, but so far, it remains nameless!

Thanks!

message 50: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jennifer wrote: "

Okay, my most beloved car ever, was called 'Chitty'...can I read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming?

Sorry for having to ask...all of my subsequent cars were less loved and rea..."

Sure. BTW - love the car!

« previous 1