Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch discussion

YOUR Book Reviews > The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 22 comments The Poisoner's Handbook Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum
First, I want to say that the subtitles of newer non-fiction books is getting a little out of hand (it's 12 words long!). That being said, I picked this book up off the new book shelf at the main branch last week. It might have been the subtitle that convinced me to grab it, but I think the title is pretty good all by its self. I have to admit that I do judge a book by its cover and am so glad I picked this one up!
This well written tale of murder and forensic medicine was a fascinating read. The author’s descriptions of poisons and the tests that were developed to detect them took be back to my college and high school chemistry classes. I’ve always like chemistry so this book was right up my alley. Anyone interested in crime, science or the early 20th century will enjoy this book. I highly recommend it.

message 2: by Madison (new)

Madison | 4 comments That does sound interesting! I'm going to have to request it so that me and my husband (a chemistry teacher)can fight over it :)

message 3: by The Librarian (new)

The Librarian (thingundermybed) Rachel wrote: "The Poisoner's Handbook Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum
First, I want to say that the subtitles of newer non-fiction books is getting a little o..."

Ha! Rachel, I had this very discussion with another staff member last week. It really is getting a wee ridiculous.

message 4: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Rachel...I judge a book by its cover too! (among other things of course lol)

message 5: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
By the way, you might want to try "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie," first in a new mystery series featuring a precocious 11-year-old girl with a passion for chemistry and a fondness for poisons. Author's name escapes me, but I a loved it and this sassy, goofy and extremely bright little girl.

message 6: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 26 comments Mod
Okay, I just finished The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York and I really liked it. I especially enjoyed the way Blum organized the book, with both the forensic lab and political histories and the information about the different poison families.

message 7: by Rachel (last edited Sep 20, 2010 06:12PM) (new)

Rachel | 22 comments Lorie wrote: "By the way, you might want to try "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie," first in a new mystery series featuring a precocious 11-year-old girl with a passion for chemistry and a fondness for poi..."

It's funny you mention this book becouse I won it on here right around the time it came out. I feel kind of bad because I never got around to reading it. My advance copy is still on my bedside table. I will have to make the effort to read it.

Donna- so glad you liked it to! I didn't want to put it down.