tbr-reading-challenge discussion

Lacey's List of Books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lacey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Lacey | 8 comments #1 The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis
#2 Charlie Bone and the Beast by Jenny Nimmo
#3 African Diary by Bill Bryson
#4 The Cost of Discipleship Dietrich Bonhoffer
#5 Edges of His Ways by Amy Carmichael
#6 Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman (partially read)

message 2: by Nightfalltwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Nightfalltwen OMG! Mrs Mike!

I have had that book for ages. I first read it in 92 when I was twelve. I read my first copy so many times that it fell to pieces and I had to special order a new copy from the bookstore.

*thumbs up*

message 3: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Maria Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 123 comments Mod
I totally second Nightfalltwen's comment! I own that book too and it used to be my favourite when I was younger.

I really enjoy "The Screwtape letters" as well - hope you will too :)

message 4: by Lacey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Lacey | 8 comments Wow! The encouragement has got me motivated! I think I'm going to finish Mrs. Mike next. You know there is a semi sequel right?

message 5: by Nightfalltwen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Nightfalltwen I only just found out about the sequel, but I was reading reviews and apparently it's not that good. I believe it centers around Oh-Be-Joyful more than Mrs Mike... but I can't be certain as I've never read it :D

message 6: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

I haven't read it either. I can't remember if I started and got sidetracked, or if I was discouraged by the reviews and never tried it. If you read it, will you let us know what you think?

message 7: by Lacey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Lacey | 8 comments I'm not all that interested in Oh be joyful and I think it is based more on her. I find that sequels only make me sad when they are not about the main character from the first book. The character seems to have moved on with their lives and left the reader behind. That is why I couldm't read the sequals to Anne of Avonlea or Little Women. I got so attached to one generation that I was mourning the youth and lives when I moved on to the next.

message 8: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Lacey, of the Anne books, the first 5 are mostly about Anne ("Anne of Green Gables", "Anne of Avonlea", "Anne of the Island", "Anne of Windy Willows/Poplars", "Anne's House Of Dreams"). It's only the last three ones that aren't ("Anne of Ingleside", "Rainbow Valley", "Rilla of Ingleside").

While "Rilla of Ingleside" isn't all that much about Anne at all, it's still VERY worth reading if you're interested in the life in Canada during WWI. AoI and RV are somewhat dull.

message 9: by Lacey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Lacey | 8 comments I finished Mrs. Mike and I read Harry Potter. Mrs. Mike was a great book with more tragedy than I would have expected. Time to pick another book!

message 10: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

It does have a lot of tragedy. It was also SO much sadder than I'd expected when I read it the first time. After all it's a children/YA book!

message 11: by Lacey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Lacey | 8 comments I am so glad that I found this website. It really has encourage me to read more and to search out those books that are new to me and classics i always meant to read. I haven't kept to my orginal list, so I am revising it. I know there is a common theme. I don't know how I feel about it, but it all looks exciting. I know some will never really get finished so I have to leave some fallback room.

New Moon- Stephanie Meyers
Eclipse- Stephanie Meyers
Dracula- Bram Stoker
Screwtape Letters- CS Lewis (From previous list)
The Ghost Orchid- Carol Goodman (Really enjoyed Lake of Dead Languages)
African Diary- Bryson
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir