Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Things About Which You Wish You Could Be Honest But You Kind of Can't...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So...I was thinking today, that if I were totally honest, I'd tell the former student who is getting married this weekend that I'm not attending her weekend something like this:

"Look, I really like you, you've always been cool, and I like your future husband, he seems nice, and keep in touch, ok? But I don't want to go to your wedding. Why? Well, you're a former student, and I'd feel weird at your wedding. And, well, even if you weren't, I just don't want to go. Weddings are boring. And at the reception I'll only know A) other faculty, and I see them all the time, that's if they actually show up at the wedding, and B) other former students, and I'm not getting drunk with them, thank you very much. Plus it's HOT out. And you're Catholic, so mass will last seventeen years. And you're kind of far away, and I'd have to get a babysitter, and fuck it, I just don't want to go. But I like you. Don't think I don't."

So about what would you like to be honest but probably can't?

By the way, I'm very much one of those people who is pretty good at avoiding social events I don't want to attend. It's a skill. We do those "360" evaluations at my work, where we all get to write comments about each other, and someone wrote "sometimes he tries to get out of meetings" on mine. Dude, that's a criticism? I take pride in my ability to get out of meetings.

message 2: by Heidi (last edited Aug 13, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I can't lie to save my life. I get myself in MORE trouble (especially at work) than any one person should be allowed to do so because I can't. If someone asks me a question, I WILL tell them the truth.

It really sucks.

I did that this past week... meeting with a supervisor - asked me a question and I was like "Ohhh, don't ask me that!" and then I spewed out the answer, and I didn't want to say it. And the look on her face after that was "Ooooh, Heidi. Only you."

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have the ability to lie really well, I just never seem to have the desire because then I have to live with myself. It is just easier to not lie.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments "Yes, you look fat in those pants."

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

::sucks in stomach::

How about now?

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Phil wrote: ""Yes, you look fat in those pants.""

For the record, I DON'T volunteer the truth. So I have THAT going for me. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

So what your saying is I still look fat in these pants!

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Oh, god. do you really want me to unleash even more pent up honesty?

"Yes, the problem is you. I love you, we've been best friends since the 6th grade, but if you don't go out and start making some friends, you will always be whining about why some girl doesn't want to fuck you. You wanna know why a girl hasn't fucked you yet? Because you go out looking for a girl to fuck you.

I love you, but stop going after these quirky, athletic, short, dark-haired girls. And stop being so creepy about it, just - you get attached a lot more quickly than you think, and they can feel it. Just talk to a girl you have something in common with - you come off a bit strong. Yes, being mean to a girl stopped working when you were seven, and it didn't really work then. Just find a nice girl, just do that for me, dear.

I think I know your plan. You know I've loved you since I was 11, and I think I'm your back up - I know you, you always have a back up. If you think that we're just gonna happen to end up together - no because I don't love you anymore. I did, but then I grew up. We're the male and female versions of each other, honey, and I told you that I wanted you for so long, but you ignored me, so I don't want you anymore.

If you think they don't want you because you're fat - do something about it. Stop whining to me. Do I have the same problems? Yes but I'm starting to do something about it. I love you - don't get mad at me, I love you, but you need to open up and just...I don't know, live outside of your head for once.

I love you."

"Hey, don't tell me anything about being fat, you wear a size fucking 4. Try wearing a 20, and then you'll know something about being fat."

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

OK Britt, I'm getting the impression you don't care how I look in these pants.

message 10: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Hahaha.

Not really, no.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments Jim, Those pants look fabulous on you.

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments This is why I'm not on Facebook. I am honest with people from my past who want to reconnect. I had a friend in 7th and 8th grade who moved away at the end of 8th grade. We were neighbors, and spent a fair amount of time together, but I could not tell you the names of her younger brothers. I am 50 years old, for Christ's sake and my memory is selective.

ANYWAY, this friend from junior high sent me some notes I'd given her back when we were twelve years old. She's saved my notes and wanted an update on all the girls from 7th grade homeroom. I wrote her back as nicely as possible that not only was I no longer friendly with the girls in our homeroom, I really did not have the fond memories of seventh grade that she seemed to and I did not see much point in our reconnecting after so many years. I feel bad about ditching her, but I think to string her along would have been dishonest. I have strong connections to several good friends from High school and college, but enough is enough.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Finally, someone who could look me straight in the eye and lie to me :-)

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jim never fails to crack me up.

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments Jim honey you are not fat, you're just big-boned. In a rugged, manly way.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

You sweet talker you!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.