Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > How did you choose your avatar?

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
I was just wondering how everyone chose their avatar? Is it a picture of you? If not what is it and why do you think it represents you well in the world of Goodreads??? How is it unique to your personality?

message 2: by Jennefer (new)

I'll start. I do have some pictures of me on my profile but I decided to go with something romancy for my avatar. I like my pic because I really like the graphic line drawing style and the pose of the couple. I have had it since I joined Goodreads. Every once and a while I think about changing it but I just can't find anything I like better! :)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I've used several avatars here but my current one just happens to be a model on romance covers. How more appropriate can u get?

message 4: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) my avatar is just a pic of me on a farm walking away... its pretty lazy and relax, kindof like how i feel when i read. lazy and relaxed :-)

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments I have mine simply because I'm having a mid-life crisis that involves Stephen Moyer -- LOVE him!

I change mine every couple of weeks as I get an even better picture of him, usually as Bill from True Blood.

message 6: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I just like cute kittens. :-)

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments I'm one of those RABID UK Fans.

message 8: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
I finally chose mine because 1) I love the cover, and 2) that pose seems very popular for covers.

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Mine is my little darlin' Misfit the kittycat.

message 10: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 120 comments I chose mine because it was THE BEST vacation that my husband and I have had. We went to Maui last year for our 20th ann.,our oldest daughters 21st and our middle daughters 18th b-days. I was sitting on the beach outside of our condo and thought what a perfect day, beach (check), book (check), wine (check). So I took this pic of my wine glass (plastic and it travels every where I do =) with the ocean behind it to send to my friend, to show her what she was missing.lol.

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Noelle wrote: "I chose mine because it was THE BEST vacation that my husband and I have had. We went to Maui last year for our 20th ann.,our oldest daughters 21st and our middle daughters 18th b-days. I was sitti..."

Maui is beautiful. I was stationed on Oahu in the Navy and visited Maui back in the early 80s. That is one place I'd love to visit again.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 50 comments Mine is of Mu the Terrible, our oldest kitty, and a charmer when he wants to be. He insists on sleeping with me every night, and reminds me when it is bedtime every evening. He's a rescue from a shelter, and is a Hemingway cat, with extra toes.

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments I used funny pictures at first. The best one I thought was a chubby older lady in a bikini in front of her computer, but I started getting "Ewwws" so I changed to pictures of me with family. I'll probably go back to an Ewww picture later.

message 14: by Karla (new)

Oh, like they haven't ever plopped down to do some quick websurfing in the nude.

message 15: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 120 comments Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Noelle wrote: "I chose mine because it was THE BEST vacation that my husband and I have had. We went to Maui last year for our 20th ann.,our oldest daughters 21st and our middle daughters 18th b-da..."

Thanks Jeanine & Pamela
It is very beautifull. We spent our first week in Oahu and then the second in Maui. Next time I want to do Maui and Kuawii(?), I like more of the island feel and less of the big city.

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments Karla wrote: "Oh, like they haven't ever plopped down to do some quick websurfing in the nude."

I know! And she was in a bikini! Maybe it was the giant roll and the cigarette. I thought it was cute. It's still in my photos if someone wants to critique it.

message 17: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (_tonya_) | 0 comments I just changed my avatar to a picture of my kids being goofy.

message 18: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 120 comments Cute pics Carolyn & Tonya =)

message 19: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 8 comments Mine is the cartoon character Opus from the 80s Bloom County strip by Berke Breathed. (He does some really cute children's books now.) If you've ever seen the movie 'Secondhand Lions,' he was also the artist that did the cartoons throughout the movie.

I fell in love with Opus and friends while I was in high school and never really dropped my crush - I still have my stuffed Opus that I picked up in New York in 1985 during a high school trip. I was devastated when Breathed dropped the original strip and started 'Outlander.' It was just never the same.

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments Opus is great - I remember really liking that cartoon strip.

message 21: by Karla (new)

Now that I'm older, the Reagan era satire is HILARIOUS. When I was in early high school, it went right over my head. :P

Plus there's un-PC old grandpa. Love him. I think the first collection of comics is my favorite.

message 22: by Jennefer (new)

Carolyn F. wrote: "...I know! And she was in a bikini! Maybe it was the giant roll and the cigarette. I thought it was cute. It's still in my photos if someone wants to critique it...."

Oh I like it Carolyn. The pic of you and the family is cute but that one with the bikini lady is pretty funny! :)

message 23: by Loudice (new)

Loudice (yoys) | 6 comments I chose mine because I REALLY like Cristiano Ronaldo...lol!I think he'd make a great model for a romance novel...absolutely LOVE his abs!

message 24: by Riccarla Roman (new)

Riccarla Roman | 19 comments I have no avatar because I am too much of a luddite to know how to create one or find one. At school, if my computer or printer goes wrong, I have a student fix it. At home, my husband or my daughter fixes it. I would probably choose something of Doctor Who or Torchwood.

Riccarla

message 25: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments Jennefer wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "...I know! And she was in a bikini! Maybe it was the giant roll and the cigarette. I thought it was cute. It's still in my photos if someone wants to critique it...."

Oh I like ..."

Well except for the cigarette and the color of the hair, that could be me!

message 26: by Joeera (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I chose Edward cullen form twilight because i think all three of the movies are great as well as the book and at the moment i love anything to do with vampires and he's not bad loooking to boot.

message 27: by KimKirt (last edited Aug 11, 2010 05:13PM) (new)

KimKirt | 20 comments I really like reading everyones stories about their avatars! Such a neat peek into everyone's worlds.

Mine is my son and me, right before we left to go to a KISS concert last year. It was his first ever rock concert and he had no clue where we were going until we pulled up to the arena and he saw all the people in KISS t-shirts (it was 2 hours away and he was beside himself the whole drive trying to figure it out). This picture always reminds me of that wonderful night we all had and his first rock concert.

message 28: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments That's so sweet KimKirt. We do the same thing with our daughter.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 839 comments Mod
Well the first one I had was the cover on The Road to Avalon which I also have the painting in my "reading" room. but I noticed one of the medeveil groups had my profile pic as theirs..kinda felt like my identity was gone...so I picked the other painting I have at home..& I love this type of setting & time period.so...somebody better not take me again...I dont have a cat..dog..or other to be me:(

message 30: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments It's a beautiful picture Sandi.

Thanks Carolyn!

message 32: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 27 comments Tammy wrote: "I have mine simply because I'm having a mid-life crisis that involves Stephen Moyer -- LOVE him!

I change mine every couple of weeks as I get an even better picture of him, usually as Bill from..."

Tammy, you'll be happy to know that he's as sweet as can be. He frequents the place where I work and is always chatty and makes great eye contact. Not a snooty bone in his luscious bod.

message 33: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 27 comments I chose mine because "L" is not only my initial, but also the first letter of the word"love", and I thought the hearts were emblematic of my reading tastes.

message 34: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Lorraine wrote: "Tammy, you'll be happy to know that he's as sweet as can be. He frequents the place where I work and is always chatty and makes great eye contact. Not a snooty bone in his luscious bod.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just squealed out loud, I'm so excited!!!! My family is looking at me like I am insane...That is SO COOL!

Where do you work, what does he say, does he smile, can you kidnap him, take a picture, ask him to marry me....

Whew! Sorry...thanks for that, Lorraine, you made my day!

message 35: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments Well, I searched for some paintings of women reading and found this one. I love how she's all draped on the couch in a normal not seductive way. I've copied a bunch so I'll probably change to another one soon.

Carolyn F. wrote: "I used funny pictures at first. The best one I thought was a chubby older lady in a bikini in front of her computer, but I started getting "Ewwws" so I changed to pictures of me with family. I'll..."

Carolyn..I love your picture! it reminds me of the times when my kids were little & down for naps..and I TRIED to lay down to read...just one chapter..then one of them was up! and the lady in your pic...looks like I felt..oh please! LOL

message 37: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments I thought it was so cute too. If you right click it and save to your computer, you'll be able to "borrow" it from me too.

Thank you Carolyn! I will! and I hope you find other "reading" ones..would love to see!

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments This one woman has a blog where you type in the type of paintings you like "woman reading" and then it will pull up tons. The blog is in Spanish but it does accept English searches. She's at http://carmensabes.blogspot.com. I became a follower because it's wonderful how she has them all categorized.

Umm...nothing came up on this link related to that?

message 41: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments That's strange. I just pulled her up again and verified the blog, but couldn't get the link to pull up. It's under Imagina y Crea in Blogspot.

Carolyn F. wrote: "That's strange. I just pulled her up again and verified the blog, but couldn't get the link to pull up. It's under Imagina y Crea in Blogspot."

no...nothing there under that name..

message 44: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments Thanks Pamela! What a pain in the butt!

Thanks Pamela & Carolyn! great stuff! :)

Carolyn..This blog is great! LOVE the paintings! if you come across anything else like this let me know! :)

message 47: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments Isn't it Sandi, the blogger really did a lot of work on it. I love that modern pictures are included in there too. I'll let you know if I something else like it. I love quirky pictures too, so I have some old photos that I thought were funny that I saved but those were hit and miss on different websites.

message 48: by Kathy Anne (last edited Sep 16, 2010 05:02PM) (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) The one I have now is almost the same cat in a different pose as my last one,who was laying down with a towel on her head.My family tells me this cat -both the last one and this one -look like me.
Yep they take after Grama(my Mom) allright.So I am stuck with her

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Road to Avalon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Berkeley Breathed (other topics)