Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > So bad its good...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bella (last edited Aug 07, 2010 06:43AM) (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments What do you do with books that are so bad that by the end you just read them for the shear entertainment value? I just finished up Satan's Mistress by Rachel Cosgrove Payes last week. This was truly a horrific book and I can't decide whether to part with it or hold on to it - just "for the memory". I don't have plans to re-read it, but am debating on whether or not to hold on to it just for the shear fact that it was such a controversial read and comes up in conversation across the boards. How do you handle this? (I also sort of feel like I've achieved something big by making it through the whole thing)

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
I sadly let go of Savage Surrender - that's a "so bad it's good" book. From now on, I'm keeping any book that fits that description.

message 3: by LuvBug (*Formerly Luvgirl) (last edited Aug 07, 2010 07:15AM) (new)

LuvBug (*Formerly Luvgirl)  | 17 comments I am going to keep my copy of Satan's Mistress, even though I also thought it was dreadful. I also kept Stormfire and I didn't love it, but You just can't give up those controversial books, they are priceless, lol!

message 4: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
If I am not sure about a book, I just hang onto it until I am sure that I don't want it anymore. So, when I have a book that I know I won't read again, but I just don't know if I want to give it up, I will just keep it. Then if the next time I go through my books to clear up my space I still don't know, I'll keep it until the time comes when I come across it and I could care less if it is sitting there or not. You know what I mean? I don't have to love a book to keep it, I need to really not care about it to give it up. When I come across a book on my shelf and I think 'wow, I haven't thought or talked about that book in forever, forgot I read it' then I know it's time to let it go. But until then, I just hang onto it.

My shelves aren't as full as they would sound like they would be, lol. Well not with keepers, running out of room for TBR!!!

message 5: by BRNTerri (last edited Aug 08, 2010 11:15AM) (new)

BRNTerri | 85 comments Dani and LuvGirl, I'm curious as to why you both think the book was horrific and dreadful. What is your idea of a great book?

message 6: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments For me personally, the book was written in my least fabovorite time period... Georgian. I should've stopped right there when I started reading about powdered hair. lol

Regardless, the main beef with this book that in the end I didn't respect the hero. There were actually two potential heroes in this book, but even though I knew who the obvious one was from the start I still was routing for the other one. The hero rapes the heroine, constantly thinks the worst of her and pretty much treats her like garbage through 9/10 of the book. I don't mind rape in books they annoy me, but I tolerate it if its a good story, but she's raped repeatedly throughout the novel. There hero is just a big jerk - actually all the men in this book are... participating in gang rapes like its a big joke.

The book actually could've been a good story were it not for such a craptastic hero.

message 7: by Annabel (new)

Annabel Joseph (annabel_joseph) OOH, I've just bought my copy of Stormfire based on recommendations that it's totally over the top with a totally nasty hero, LOL. I can't wait!! Oh, and I am ashamed to say what I paid for it on Ebay. Stormfire is REALLY hard to find!

message 8: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments Annabel Joseph wrote: "OOH, I've just bought my copy of Stormfire based on recommendations that it's totally over the top with a totally nasty hero, LOL. I can't wait!! Oh, and I am ashamed to say what I paid for it on E..."

I want to read stormfire so badly. It was the book that was on the pick-it-for me challenge here, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay as much as its being sold for.

message 9: by LuvBug (*Formerly Luvgirl) (last edited Aug 09, 2010 01:47PM) (new)

LuvBug (*Formerly Luvgirl)  | 17 comments Dani:

I could lend u stormfire if u like or if u have a hard to find book that u think I might want to read we can do a swap and return after we are done. Let me know on my profile if u want to do that :-)

message 10: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I had Stormfire on my TBR for ages, but lost it when I did a book cull , anyway it's back on there now.