The Baseball Book Club discussion

MLB > [Satchel] Progress & Thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about halfway through Satchel, but had to return my copy back the library. Luckily, my local one has it in stock so I can just wander back and re-check it. I'm enjoying it, but not blown away. It's a great story, but I find the non-linear nature of the story kind of annoying.

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Alther (hawkbrother) Just checked it out and am reading the Introduction

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (MetesandBounder) I am on page 90 and so far I have to agree with Matt's comment about the lack of linear progression. The stories are great, but the jumping from one year to another and back again makes this a less satisfying read than it could be.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (MetesandBounder) Finished the book on Wednesday. My earlier impression still holds for me, a good book, but not a great one. The many stories filled with evidence of Satchels' great athletic skill and his flair for life make it a worthwhile read. I have posted a review on my site if anyone is interested.

message 5: by David (new)

David Todd (davidatodd) I didn't know about this book until today. One of the books that had the biggest influence on my as a boy, and really in my entire life, is Maybe I'll Pitch Forever, Paige's autobiography. This one will definitely have to go on my to-read list.