Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat - TV & Movies > Master Chef

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh for goodness sake, I've picked up another show. Emma and I watched the first episode of this last night, and we really liked it. I thought of Lee going on there and making her pudding! Anyone else watch this?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the first American Master Chef. It's so fun!

message 3: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
I've never heard of Master Chef. I'll go and look it up Christine! Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will be right up my alley if it's anyting like Top Chef which I love!

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I watched this last night too. I LOVE Gordon Ramsay! :D I like the judges too, but Joe Bastianich seems really arrogant and proud. I still like him for some reason though. LOL

That one guy who made the "bouillabaise" annoyed the crap out of me!! I was cringing watching him. I just wanted to be like "cut the crap, dude!" And then when they took him down a few notches, he looked like his was about to murder someone! When he went out to the waiting cooks and was all "WOOOOO!" I was like, are you kidding? This guy is so fake. Did NOT like him, and I'm surprised that he got through with his attitude and his massive failure of a dish.

Oh well, I'm sure he'll be good for some drama causing ratings.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the very first guy who got his apron. He was awesome. Lee, it's on Fox on Tuesdays, and it just just started so you can join in easily.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes, that guy was really good! He was genuinely excited! I really liked him!

message 7: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments I have this on my DVR yet to watch. I think it will be switching to Wednesday nights some time in August.

I have recorded and deleted unwatched TOP CHEF & THE WORLD'S NEXT ARTIST(not sure of exact name) so many times. I've heard good things about these shows. One of these days I'll watch.

message 8: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Oh crap, we don't have cable anymore so I can't get Fox. Darn.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "Oh crap, we don't have cable anymore so I can't get Fox. Darn."

Sorry! :-( Perhaps you can watch online. I've watched a show online here & there.

message 10: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I can watch shows online from the Canadian channels but not Fox. It's okay, I'm sure it will come out on DVD eventually. :-0

message 11: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments I watched it on my DVR and enjoyed it. I also liked the first guy who got the apron. This show was promoted as the AI of cooking. About AI, Ellen DeGeneres will not be a judge on the new season starting in January. I think it was her choice. When she was first announced as the new judge, I read that she signed a 5-yr contract.

Also, the new season of PROJECT RUNWAY premiers tonight. Any fans?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have my favorites now, but I don't know names yet. I am excited about this show, it's so fun! Mona, who did you like last night?

message 13: by Mona (last edited Aug 04, 2010 10:37AM) (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments Christine wrote: "I have my favorites now, but I don't know names yet. I am excited about this show, it's so fun! Mona, who did you like last night?"

Hi Christine: I liked the young college student who was accompanied by her parents and younger sister. It was great when her sister spoke up for her.

I do NOT like that judge Joe Bas... He is such a pompous ass. I think whether or not someone is a good cook is very subjective but I realize for the show, some personality attributes and culinary/artistic skills are necessary.

I noticed that there was a Muslim contestant who made biryani and an Indian one named Sheetal.

That show makes me so hungry. Everything looks delicious.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked her too! My favorites include her, and the guy who got the first apron on the first night.

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I recorded this last night but didn't have a chance to watch it yet. I hope to watch it tonight before SYTYCD

message 16: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Is anyone watching this season of Masterchef?
I'm really impressed with a few of the contestants especially the blind girl.

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) I've seen the first couple (playing catch-up On Demand). The way they introduced the blind girl was brilliant, I thought - she looked perfectly ordinary, and then they revealed how extraordinary she was. How on earth is she going to manage challenges, though?

message 18: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

I don't know! I love how incredibly expressive her face is. And she is at such a disadvantage with not being able to see what's available in the pantry. I can't imagine how she's functioning, I think she's extremely brave!

message 19: by Kim (last edited Jun 14, 2012 10:26PM) (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 931 comments I've been watching the local version, which is in its fourth season. I get irritated by contestants who cry and contestants who talk about their passion for food and how they just want to have their own restaurant. That's when I want to yell at the television "so what's stopping you!".

I'm assuming that your version is like ours, rather than like the original British version. Must go and have a look.

ETA. Wikipedia tells me that US Masterchef is based on the first series of Aussie Masterchef, with some variations.

message 20: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Of course we stole it! We steal most of our shows! :D

Kim wrote: "I get irritated by contestants who cry and contestants who talk about their passion for food and how they just want to have their own restaurant...."

And the ones (on all of these competitions) who say "I want to win this more than anything." Well, of course you do. And so do the other people on the show with you - that's why you're there.

Apropos of nothing, I'm also always annoyed by a host saying "Good luck to you both" when there are two people up for elimination. They both can't have good luck, so that's a completely empty and meaningless comment. *grumblegrumble*

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Lee wrote: "And she is at such a disadvantage with not being able to see what's available in the pantry. ..."

I know! For one thing, a lot of them don't have any idea what they're going to make until they go look around the pantry! I wonder if they'll give her any concessions...

message 22: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Kim, how is the British version different? Have you seen it? I wish we had access to all the versions to watch online.

Starting by looking in the fridge or the pantry is often the way I figure out what to cook. I think if she progresses further in the competition, it will be amazing. She must have a great imagination!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 529 comments The blind contestant has a sighted assistant, I see. That's fair, I think.

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 931 comments Lee wrote: "Kim, how is the British version different? Have you seen it? I wish we had access to all the versions to watch online...."

Lee, I've seen episodes of the British series (or rather, of the revamped series, which has been around since about 2005). They have heats and quarter-finals over six weeeks, which leads to six semi-finalists who compete against each other over two weeks.

When the Oz series was devised, they went for the audition and finals format, with the top 24 being whittled down to two finalists. The first series felt like the cooking version of Australian Idol, combined with elements of Big Brother and The Biggest Loser, although thankfully less cringe-worthy than any of those shows. In comparison, the British version is very sedate and low-key.

message 25: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Thanks for the synopsis, Kim. I just love watching cooking shows except for when they have to butcher meat. I just finished watching Top Chef Canada, it was pretty good!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) My husband trained as a chef, so we really enjoy watching cooking shows. I like to ask him how HE would act in certain situations, and what amazing dishes he would come up with.