SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > Hunger Games v. Harry Potter

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 28, 2010 07:23PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments Suzanne Collin's final book in her Hunger Games' trilogy, Mockingjay, is due out in August. And, I'm not the only one that's anticipating it's release. More and more people are falling in love with Katniss, Peeta and the Hunger Games.

I decided to see how these two YA fantasy series stack up against each other re: # of readers.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone , Book #1:
Published in 1997
4.20 ave rating
428,192 ratings
That = ave of 32,938 books a year

The Hunger Games , Book #1:
Published in 2008
4.57 ave rating
60,771 ratings
That = ave of 30,386 books a year

So, based on GR readers alone, the love for both is almost equal.

message 2: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I haven't read Harry Potter but I LOVE The Hunger Games! And Steph, you forgot to mention Gale! How could you not mention him?! I guess you're a Peeta fan, eh?

Less than 30 days until Mockingjay! :)

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 28, 2010 02:59AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments LOL! No, I don't like Peeta more than Gale. I mentioned him only b/c he stuck out as a main to me. Probably b/c he was *bleep* to *bleep* along with Katniss. :)

I only recently (last yr or so) started listening to the HP books. Really love the accents and all the extra bits that weren't in the movie. Now rush to finish them, but I will eventually.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber (crazyaboutbooks) | 499 comments Haven't read the harry potter series either and absolutely love The Hunger Games. Glad to know the *****BLEEP BLEEP****is not for me this time.LOL

message 5: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments If you are putting these books in the same category as HP, I need to check them out! :)

message 6: by Regina (last edited Jul 28, 2010 10:34AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I think Harry Potter (at least from book 4-7) is much more detailed and layered in terms of character development, character motivation, and history of the characters and the mystery involved. Books 1-3 and maybe 4 (I waiver which category to put it into), are more simplistic and while really good -- are not at all as in depth and detailed like 5-7 definitely, maybe 4-7. I would say 5-7 of the HP series are more like Lord of the Rings. I really like Hugner Games, it is a great read. Very compelling, the characters are deep, etc. I just don't think they are comparable. Maybe it is the genre difference. HP is fantasy, which involves alot more world building. HP involes a historical mystery, could be called a mystery thriller -- so it needs alot of detail, alot of characters -- it is epic! Hunger Games is dystopia, the world building is good, but it doesn't need to be so intricate and the build up is toward a revolution. But it is likely subjective. :) For me, the HP series is an entire world that overtakes me, for me Hunger Games is a smaller escape. I don't really want to visit her world!

LOL, I have read both Hunger Games and Catching Fire abut I don't get your bleeping! Looking forward to Mockingjay, I almost don't want to read it. I kinda think Katniss is too young to resolve it in favor of one boy over another. I also like both Gale and Peeta, I would hate to seem them hurt. Maybe she could end up with both? ;)

message 7: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Haven't read the Harry Potters (don't throw things!) but I LOVE Hunger Games. I have recommended it to pretty much everyone I know--both my brothers & my sister-in-law have read it, my mom, stepdad, dad & stepmom have all read it...and everyone has loved it. It's a book/series that crosses genres--my stepdad reads war/historical/nonfiction-y books, my stepmom reads Oprah/bestsellers, and they both loved Hunger Games. It's my go-to recommendation. :)

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Aug 02, 2010 11:02PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments Glad to see this got people talking, esp about Hunger Games, which like ya'll, I LOVED! It was recommended to me and I'm glad b/c I probably would never have chosen it for myself.

Just to clarify, I am not comparing these two books/series as far as "these are similar". I am only comparing them as far as "these are both BIG YA hit series". I was just curious about # of readers and such. Thought I'd share what my little investigation into that revealed.

LOL Amber! Hopefully Ames understood my *bleeped* explanation.

Kindlelicious, I agree, you should give the first book a go. It's a very interesting series, set in a world unlike any other. I hope you enjoy it, if you do. :)

message 9: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Steph wrote: "...Hopefully Ames understood my *bleeped* explanation..."

Yep, I got it. :)

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (a1momgram) I just saw this posted on Amazon and thought someone here might be interested FREE download of audiobook Hunger Games at http://www.audiobookcommunity.com/gro...

message 11: by Aske (last edited Aug 02, 2010 02:21PM) (new)

Aske | 119 comments I have read both series as far as I could (waiting in agony for the last HG book). Over all I liked the HG series more than the HP books. Though well developed in character and all, after reaching the last couple of books I wasn't as intrested as I was when I first started this series. The repetition in the books just wasn't what I wanted to keep reading. As for HG, though not as long as the HP books, etc., it is a great series and I LOVED it. I hope Katniss ends up with Peeta in the end...

message 12: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Hi guys, when I saw this topic I just had to answer! This question is so good it’s bordering on cruel lol. How do you expect us to choose?! I love the Hunger Games as much as the next person (team Gabe!), but I recently re-read the Harry Potter series and was blown away. The movies are good but really do the books no justice. The Hunger Games is among my favorite series though but Harry Potter takes the cake for me.

message 13: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments That's the great part, Sashana! We don't have to choose. :) They are both great in their own right and such fun to read.

message 14: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Alright I keep hearing about the Hunger Games and I guess I need to finally jump on the band wagon and give it a shot, I've looked at it a couple times but the description must not do it justice as it just didn't grab me... I LOVED Harry Potter so sounds like I would really like this series too! You all have convinced me to add it to my out of control TBR list!:):)

message 15: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Susan, Hunger Games is nothing like Harry Potter, but it is awesome in it's own way. You won't regret reading it. :)

message 16: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Oh no I realize it's not anything like Harry Potter, but sounds like lots of people who liked HP also liked this, so that's what I figured for me too :) I put it on hold at the library, I'm #115 in line!!!!

message 17: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Yikes! Told you it was popular. ;)

message 18: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Yeah I know! If you think that is bad, the hold list for Mockingjay is already at 470 holds.....

message 19: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 06, 2010 01:47PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I pre-ordered that sucker back in May when B&N was having that sci-fi/fantasy sale--2-3 day shipping, so I'll have it before the end of the month. Yeah!

I'm usually a library girl, but some things are just must buys. :)

message 20: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Oh yeah totally know what you mean Laura!! I am usually that way too! But I have made a promise to myself that any NEW series I"m starting HAVE to be borrowed or come from the library if at all possible!:) Since I already have PLENTY at home that i have already bought I don't mind waiting ;)

message 21: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Aug 07, 2010 08:26AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments the hold list for Mockingjay is already at 470 holds.....

Holy Wait Line, Batgirl! That's INSANE! Welcome to the Hunger Games fan club, Suz! Go ahead and request them all, you won't want to wait to read #2-3 after you read #1. :)

message 22: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) LOL no kidding Steph, it's crazy! Amazingly book 2 only had like 60 holds on it... I figure once I actually get my hands on book 1 I"ll go out and hold books 2 & 3 unless I can find one of my friends whose read them and I can borrow them :)

message 23: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments I'd loan mine to you, but I got the eBooks. :( Hope you can snag them before your eyes go (get it, long wait ... age ... LOL!).

message 24: by Carson (new)

Carson T (carsont) Hunger Games wins by far. By. Freaking. Far.

message 25: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) LOL @ Steph! So it turns out a friend of mine found it at her costco!!! So she's going to snag it for me, I REALLY shouldn't be buying it but it's a steal at like $5.50!! :)

message 26: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments It's definitely worth the $5.50! What'a bargin! :)