Amazon Kindle discussion

Kindle's text-to-speech feature

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (last edited Jul 25, 2010 02:42PM) (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments Just wondering, does anyone use this feature. I have been using quite a lot this weekend as I've not been feeling to well. I've stuck it on while I laid on my bed and restered as I felt to tired to read. It worked really well although there was a few little weird moments. Who else uses this feature and why do you use it?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments I've used it a few times while driving. It does a pretty decent job and I don't find it to be jarring.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 12 comments I use it quite often while driving. I like the ability to continue on with the story especially when you are at a point where you just can't wait to find out what happens next.

message 4: by Redvolution (new)

Redvolution | 17 comments i use it when driving too

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) I have used it but at times, find the audio different to decipher, as it at times seems a bit choppy which can affect the phrasing. Haven't listened in a long time, so perhaps it's been improved?

Andrew E. Kaufman/Author
While the Savage Sleeps
While the Savage Sleeps by Andrew E. Kaufman- Author Supernatural Thrillers

message 6: by Marly (new)

Marly I'm not sure how to use it, are all books capable?

message 7: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I have done it a couple of times in the car. It does take some getting used to, the computerized style of the voice. It is just harder for me to get into it that way.

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 33 comments Marly wrote: "I'm not sure how to use it, are all books capable?"

No, but I think most are. It's noted on the book's Kindle page whether it's available or not. You just have to go into the "font settings" to turn it on. Then the book will be read to you.

I've never used it, but I did try it out once just to see how it worked. I was surprised by how much better it sounded than I expected. I thought it was going to be like a robot reading, but it was actually pretty smooth and not hard to listen to.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 18 comments I must be the only one who thought it sounded cheesy. LOL! I've had it on just to see how it sounded....and then turned it quickly back off. I've even tried both sexes. Neither speaking voice really does it for me, so I just read without it turned on. It was a big selling point in me getting the K-2 over the DX but there are times I wish I'd gotten the DX instead (for the magazines. As a missionary who will be traveling to around Latin America, I let all my subscriptions go. If I'd had the DX, I could've kept some of them. Oh well. Live and learn).

I hadn't thought of using it when I'm sick, but I haven't been sick since I got it in January. So we'll see how I feel about TTS once I'm sick. :-)

message 10: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments I agree that the voices aren't the greatest but it is high quality in terms of the technology as it it something that is very hard to do. Apple have there own text-to-speech feature in their operating system which sounds really smooth and more life like. I hope that they can licence it out to Amazon but I very much doubt that.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 18 comments Aaron wrote: "I agree that the voices aren't the greatest but it is high quality in terms of the technology as it it something that is very hard to do. Apple have there own text-to-speech feature in their operat..."

Yeeaaahh, I don't see Apple licensing ANYTHING out to Amazon.....

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments Jenny wrote: "Yeeaaahh, I don't see Apple licensing ANYTHING out to Amazon..... "

It has been interesting watching these two giants duke it out, hasn't it?

Haven't heard the Apple text-to-speech feature yet.

message 13: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments Robert, there are some videos on YouTube if you search for 'Apple's OS X text to speech'. There is even one that compares Apple's and Amazon's speech feature.