Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Have you ever lost a shitload of data?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So...my office computer met with six inches of water in the Milwaukee flood. I had some docs backed up on email, the server, etc. but I lost some, too. And you know what? I don't care all that much. What use is freaking out? The tech guys are supposedly going to try to save all our computers, but if they don't, they don't. Five, ten years ago, I probably would have gone fucking crazy, though, I must admit.

Have you ever lost a shitload of data? Were you able to get it back? How'd you respond? Will the tech guys get my data back?

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I lost a story I wrote. I was in the middle of typing the conclusion and editing it. I was so downhearted about it, I couldn't bring myself to write again for another 8 months. Immediately after it happened, I tried to scramble to rewrite it as quickly as I could, but by then it'd lost the magic. Other than that, no... I can't say that I've ever really lost a shitload of data. I've deleted a shitload of data, but never really lost any.

I like your attitude about it, though.

message 3: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments A few years ago, we were doing our taxes on those fill-in forms on the IRS website. We saved it and when we went back to retrieve it to print out the forms, it brought back blank forms. We had to start all over.

As usual, we had waited until the very last minute to do them so we couldn't go to dinner at my parent's place like we had planned to that evening. It's bad enough doing the taxes but to have to do them when you're in a foul mood...

Now we just do them by hand even though, as of October 2004, fill-in forms were enabled with "document rights" which allow you to save what you filled in.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Barb wrote: "I'm happy to say that I've not had that kind of misfortune ... I'd lose my mind if I lost all our pictures though."

Back them up to an external hard drive Barb. You can get one for around $100.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, tech people, be prepared to recognize an idiot...

Apparently I have been saving my data to the server for YEARS and didn't know I was. Everything is saved. Yay me. And yay Eric, the tech guy who explained this to me with a look of sad acceptance that he will probably have to explain this to me again sometime.

message 6: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I thought you looked familiar. I see the same person in the mirror every morning. My daughter gives me that look!

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Us tech guys will always have your back. That's why you'll often see office scenarios where us tech guys force you to save data onto an external server, rather than your hard drive. For example, your typical "My Documents" folder in Windows, by default, is located on your hard drive, but in a Local Area Network scenario, that default is an external server that you map to when you log onto the network.

At home, I never save anything onto my local hard drive. All my data, including docs, music, photos, etc., gets automatically routed onto an external hard drive. Hard drives have an uncanny knack for crashing and burning on those who don't heed calls for backing up data.

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have never lost a shitload of data, which is a good thing, because i'm very lazy when it comes to back-ups. if i lost a shitload of data i would probably freak out and not be able to do anything productive for a few days. i'd stare at my laptop a lot.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Yes, indeedy. My laptop was stolen a coupla weeks ago from my bedroom window. The thief climbed onto the roof and just reached in and grabbed it at about 5am. He tripped the alarm and then ran off. At first we didn't notice anything was missing.. I was out for most of the day, and when I came back in the evening it was gone.

I looked everywhere...I thought I'd misplaced it, but that was impossible. My dad started screaming at me, thinking that I'd brought it out of the house, and started threatening to take away priviledges and all sorts of shit. So I got pissed off and screamed back that it wasn't my fault and I didn't take it out of the house. By that time, I could actually feel myself losing it, a sort of tingly feeling running up the sides of my head that meant I was going to blank out into a state of panic.

I went back up to my room and stood there awhile, just looking at the table, and I remembered very specifically that it had been on the table the day before. I hadn't moved it. I remembered that the battery low light had been blinking...then my mom looked out the window and saw a broom on the roof. Started crying.

"Crying can get you a tight slap," said dad.