Sharp Objects Sharp Objects discussion

sharp objects

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tarakonick (new)

Tarakonick excellent book a modern day mystery.could'nt put tis one down

Rebecca Grubb Something about the narrative voice was so compelling. It was so visceral, and the ending really did take me by surprise.

Maureen I really enjoyed this book as well. Passed it onto my husband and he read and enjoyed it too. As cliched as it sounds, Gillian Flynn is a fresh new voice in this genre. Her book, Dark Places, was equally as good. Hoping she is going to have a new book out soon.

Maureen Shannon wrote: "Loved it! And loved her second, Dark Places, just as much. I'm eagerly awaiting her next book!"

Have you heard anything about when a new book can be expected from her?

message 5: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis I really enjoyed this story and hope Gillian Flynn has a long career. She is a fresh new voice and I look forward to reading anything she puts out.

Dark Places didn't draw me in quite as much, but was still very enjoyable.

Michael Sherer There are good storytellers and good writers. Flynn is both. I agree that Dark Places didn't capture me with the same intensity as Sharp Objects, but Flynn's so good, I'm envious.

Pamela Tarakonick wrote: "excellent book a modern day mystery.could'nt put tis one down "

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Also couldn't put it down. Looking forward to the new book.

Monica I didn't like this book it started off well for me but I got bored in the middle and by the end just frustrated. But I do want to try another one of the author's book.

Monica Shannon wrote: "Monica wrote: "I didn't like this book it started off well for me but I got bored in the middle and by the end just frustrated. But I do want to try another one of the author's book."

Hi Monica - ..."<

Thanks I will! Mystery books are one of my favorite genres to read

Ellen I just finished this book and found it riveting! Very interesting characters and POV. Can't wait for the second book.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda So I read in one review that there was some sort of animal cruelty in this book. I have a very hard time letting images of animal cruelty go. Can someone give me an idea of how detailed and what spacifically happens? I really want to read this book but am a little scared that mentally I will not be able to handle this specific section.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Do you think its an important part of the book? Maybe when I get to it I can just skip it. I did go ahead and start reading it last night and was hooked.pretty instantly. Thanks.

Laura Amazon has the synopsis posted now. In the event you haven't seen it yet.

message 15: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis Re-listening to this as an audiobook now, about half way thru and loving it as much as I did the first time. Such a great story and great characters!

Albert A really good book with great characters. Picked it up after reading Gone Girl and was surprised at how good it was.

Vivian this was one of my best reads so far this year.I liked this better than Girl Gone.

Jamie I really struggled with this book - I was dying to find a character I could relate to. Something captivated me about Camille, but I couldn't relate to her on any level and it made it hard for me to "believe" her (if that makes any sense). The end was very anticlimactic for me - I had guessed early on who was responsible for the crimes so I was left with a feeling of yearning for a bigger twist - I'm sure others feel differently about how this book ended.

I'm anxious to try out her other two books and see if they can leave me feeling more satisfied.

Josephine I enjoyed this book a lot! I read Gone Girl, and liked it (ending was so-so); figured I should try another one of her books. I also downloaded Dark Places on my Kindle but it did not suck me in as quickly as Sharp Objects did. Gillian's characters are so dark and almost unlikable but yet i still found myself invested in them, and trying to figure them out. Thought this was a great mystery throughout (minus the under aged boy fiasco). Would definitely recommend this book!

Joanne I disliked this book, and couldn't finish it. The writing style was annoying.

message 21: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy I also guessed very early on who did it and why, but still enjoyed the book. I was surprised by the Mother's "condition" though.

Sheila Adams Joy wrote: "I also guessed very early on who did it and why, but still enjoyed the book. I was surprised by the Mother's "condition" though."

I agree. I was sure I knew "whodunit" by page 70. BUT, was surprised nearing the end, when I began to wonder if I'd been wrong, simply because she spun the story a bit. It liked how she had me second guessing myself. (I was still right in the end!) I've also read Dark Objects, and liked it equally as much. Still trying to get my hands on Gone Girl...

message 23: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy Gone Girl was GOOD! Going to read Dark Places next :-)

Melissa Shannon wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Do you think its an important part of the book? Maybe when I get to it I can just skip it. I did go ahead and start reading it last night and was hooked.pretty instantly. Thanks."..."

It's not that important but I don't recommend skipping it. Every aspect of this story is important to the total story. Great book. The other 2 are great also.

Kristine I found Sharp Objects to be rather forgettable... actually, I read it a few weeks ago and didn't realize until the very END that I had read it before. I've got Gone Girl on hold at the library, I sure hope it's better!

Maureen This book was so creepy to me but I loved every minute of it! I was sure I knew who did it too, but I was so wrong. Maybe why I loved the book so much - definitely kept me going till the last page. On waiting list for Dark Places and Gone Girl at the library and know they will be worth the wait!

Sheila Adams Maureen wrote: "This book was so creepy to me but I loved every minute of it! I was sure I knew who did it too, but I was so wrong. Maybe why I loved the book so much - definitely kept me going till the last page..."

IMO, Dark Places was even better than Sharp Objects, so get ready. :) I've been on waiting list for Gone Girl for 3 mos. now...

Kathleen I loved this book. It was such a great juxtaposition of the beautiful writing style of the author and the rawness of the main character and the gruesome crime. And a great mystery to boot - had me fooled right until the end!

Desiree Hames I absolutely loved this book. After reading Dark Places, I had to pick it up. It completely drew me in. I can relate, thankfully not identically, to her relationship with her mother and how just being around her family makes her skin "scream". Flynn is amazing and I am already sad that she doesn't have more titles for me to devour.

Jackie I read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn because Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn was so good. I didn't like the characters nor the story. I have no plans to read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn .

Amber I thought Gone Girl was okay. The story didnt surprise me too much but I loved the writing style.

Then I read Sharp Objects. Holy crap! What an amazing read. It was not perfect but Gillian Flynn is so amazingly talented to me. Im going to read Dark Places next.

Kirsten If you have a choice of Flynn's 3 books, read this one first. I read Dark Places first, then Sharp Objects, then Gone Girl. I was disappointed in Gone Girl once I had already read Sharp Objects as I think it's the best of her 3 books. I felt like the main character in Sharp Objects stayed true to herself whereas in the other books, the main characters strayed. All 3 books were very good, but I have to say this one was GREAT. I loved the story line, characters and setting. FLynn nailed it on the head with the intrigue and suspense.

Lauren Sharp Objects was a fantastic book! Definitely had me fooled up until the very last page. I was sooo sure I had it figured out.....

message 34: by Leigh (new) - rated it 1 star

Leigh Ann Amanda wrote: "So I read in one review that there was some sort of animal cruelty in this book. I have a very hard time letting images of animal cruelty go. Can someone give me an idea of how detailed and what ..."

You'll never want to eat ham again. I can't get the images out of my head :(

Janet oh yes, the images do stick with you. I had no idea

Jackie For someone who lives in the midwest where hog confinements are everywhere, I now have a complete dislike for them based partly on the description in the book. I stopped eating pork, cruelty to the extreme. Getting into a wholly different subject matter here, sorry.

Lindsey Dennis wrote: "I really enjoyed this story and hope Gillian Flynn has a long career. She is a fresh new voice and I look forward to reading anything she puts out.

Dark Places didn't draw me in quite as much, bu..."

This was my feeling. LOVED _Sharp Objects_ but _Dark Places_ wasn't as quick of a read for me. _Gone Girl_ is on my list 'to read' and I can't wait! :)

message 38: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Lima I've read all three of her books. Loved each of them. Can't wait for the fourth!

Judith Gash (Balafre) Paul wrote: "I've read all three of her books. Loved each of them. Can't wait for the fourth!"

Ditto that!!

message 40: by Dennis (new) - added it

Dennis She's on my read without hesitation list. Only other author currently on that list is Cherie Priest.

message 41: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Lima I've added Wallace Stegner to my list, but there will be no more books by him as he's deceased. Don't know hoe I got to be 58 and had never heard of him. His reads are literary, so I am not comparing him to Flynn at all. He is an amazing writer.

Jools I enjoyed reading this book much more than Gone Girl. I was hooked from the start and did not second guess the ending which is rare. I found the animal cruelty a little much and skimmed the over these parts to be honest.

Lovebooks I read this one of Flynn's books last and it was by far the best of the three. It was so creepy, but so good. I was so creeped out by how much I enjoyed it and didn't want it to end in spite of the disturbing storyline. So well done!

Caroline I have now read all three of Gillian Flynn's books and this one was definitely my favorite. Was never a big fan of Gone Girl, but both Sharp Objects and Dark Places was pretty good reads in my opinion.

message 45: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen Rawlings Jamie wrote: "I really struggled with this book - I was dying to find a character I could relate to. Something captivated me about Camille, but I couldn't relate to her on any level and it made it hard for me t..."

Finally someone who agrees with me! I thought this book was a no brainer and wasn't surprised at all who the killer was - and I didn't think it was a great story. Not sure what I'm missing that everyone is seeing. Mg

Sandra Leigh wrote: "Amanda wrote: "So I read in one review that there was some sort of animal cruelty in this book. I have a very hard time letting images of animal cruelty go. Can someone give me an idea of how det..."

Hmmmm...those scenes didn't make an impact on me at all. But if you are really sensitive to animals I guess it would make you squeamish. The parts with the pig (and I think there are only 2) are important to the story, so don't skip them.

message 47: by K. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K. I wanted to like this book because Gillian Flynn really has a strong writing style. But, the characters were too flawed and the mystery of "whodunnit" was easily guessed. In all reality, she had a great premise that went bad. I believe the author needs to make use of a little more subtlety. It's over the top to make a point, I suppose, but the point is lost in the spectacle. I won't go out of my way to read another of her books.

Shena Vasko Jackie wrote: "I read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynnbecause Gone Girl by Gillian Flynnwas so good. I didn't like the characters nor the story. I have no plans to read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn."

I have to agree with you. Gone Girl was sooooooooo good, and Sharp Objects was just too dark for me, and I didn't like any of the characters. I heard Dark Places is even darker, so I probably won't read that one.

Sarah Gasior I felt like reading Sharp Objects and Dark Places a couple of years ago made Gone Girl that much better. Flynn's style has really changed and I like it!

Jennifer So I have only Dark Placesleft and am looking forward to the read. Does anyone know if Gillian Flynn is currently working on a new book or is she too busy writing screen plays for the novels she has already written?

« previous 1