Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Shows that show their class

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jul 22, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You know how some TV shows take a while to get their footing, while others just bust out of the gate saying "Watch this!"

What are some shows that had you from hello?
Lost, Buffy, Firefly, Freaks & Geeks, and West Wing come to my mind. And The Wire based on the one episode I have now seen.

ETA: Buffy might be a bit of a cheat. It did take a little while to build, but that first scene with the boy & girl in the empty school was pretty exciting.

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I just started watching Freaks and Geeks, now that IFC is broadcasting the reruns. So far, I'm madly in love with that show, and I'm kicking myself for not watching it when it first came on.

There haven't been many shows I've watched from beginning to end, but some that have had me from hello, and have kept my attention have been Fringe, The Sopranos, Arrested Development, Flight of the Conchords, Battlestar Galactica, and most recently, Justified.

I tend to not watch a whole lot of television, so I keep up with the ones I pay more attention to, rather than the ones everyone says I should be watching. As such, I've never seen Lost, Damages or The Wire.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Buffy might be the only series I watched from start to finish when it was on tv. A couple years ago I watched Arrested Development in one long week, from the DVDs, and I still think that's one of the funniest shows in the history of television. I watched True Blood seasons one and two, and liked that, and I've seen the first couple seasons of Weeds and House but never went further. Same with Veronica Mars and The Sopranos. Oh, I've seen every episode of 30 Rock and genuinely look forward to the show. Same with Community now. I think Burn Notice is underrated, too.

Like Gus, I've never seen Lost or The Wire, although everyone tells me I should watch the latter. Hour-long dramas don't usually fit my schedule anymore, except for Anthony Bourdain's show, but that's different.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Does Bourdain qualify as a drama?

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm. Sometimes...heh. But the show's an hour long.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Oh, those are both really good ones!

message 7: by Brittomart (last edited Jul 22, 2010 08:56AM) (new)

Brittomart Barb wrote: "I don't watch much tv, but 2 shows that I fell in love with instantly are Dead Like Me & Arrested Development - RA's right; the funniest show EVER. Why is it that the really good ones don't catch ..."

Because they're smart, and smart shows don't last.

Okay, where do I start? Party Down, Arrested Development, House, Freaks and Geeks, The West Wing, and...probably others. My friends are raving about Modern Family, and I like it when I watch it, but I never remember when it's on.

Shit, how can I forget about Mad Men!!!! And Parks and Recreation!!!

Party Down was recently cancelled, and that broke my heart. I love Louis C.K.'s new show, and I'm hoping that it gets picked up for a second season because it's hilarious and meaningful.

Does anyone remember Duckman, the comedy central cartoon? I loved it as a kid, but I'm sure I didn't get any of the jokes, but I really loved that show for some reason.

P.S. House is on its last leg.

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Are you thinking of The Cleveland Show, Barb? Modern Family isn't animated.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Buffy the Vampire Slayer - My favorite show ever. Just as all good SF does, Buffy used metaphors to explore issues, in this case, the horrors of adolescence and young adulthood. High school IS a hellmouth for most of us. Buffy and Angel are the only shows I have the box sets of.

Babylon 5 - The arc on this show was incredible. It was literally a five-year long story that just kept getting more powerful. I am in AWE of Babylon 5, I've never seen anything like it on TV.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - What is humanity, what makes us human? Let's explore!

X-Files - This show was dragged out two seasons too long, but Mulder and Scully's journey to discover the truth was awesome.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11676 comments Off the top of my head I would list...

-- Buffy (I loved the original movie & was excited to have a weekly show)

-- The West Wing

-- Sports Night

-- Friday Night Lights

-- Community

-- The Simpsons (though I stopped watching many years ago)

-- Xena, Warrior Princess

-- NBC News Overnight (with Linda Ellerbee closing with, "And so it goes")

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ooh, Sports Night was excellent.

We watched the pilot of Xena a month or so ago, and let me tell you, that was some rough stuff. I think it took a while to grow into its tone and look.

message 12: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Oh, and Daria!!!!!!!!!!! I know I'm not the only Daria fan in this thread.

message 13: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments I enjoyed Daria too. Our library has the entire series on DVD.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments LOVE Daria, Britt!!!

I love that she and Jane would watch "Sick Sad World." :D

message 15: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart "What deadly new diseases can you pick up by sitting down? Toilet seat terror next, on Sick, Sad World."

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) RA, thanks for reminding me about Community, which got funnier and funnier with each episode. Betty White's appearing in an episode next season.

I meant to add Mad Men, but it took me a while to finally embrace it. So much so that I'm counting the hours until the 4th season premieres this Sunday.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I liked I'll Fly Away.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 26, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

There isn't anything I am watching on television at the moment. These are shows I made an effort to watch.

Life on Mars
X-files (early on)
Twin Peaks (the first series)
Hamish Macbeth
Sea Change
Doctor Who (of course)

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Twin Peaks? Really? Wow.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It surely did.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Me, too, Misha. It was spellbinding.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

You didn't like Twin Peaks Larry? I have the sound track on my phone. :)

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24321 comments Mod
Probably only X-Files, Twin Peaks, L.A. Law, Miami Vice, Murder One, Knots Landing, America's Next Top Model, and Wiseguy. But this is because I am a terribly undisciplined tv watcher; I almost never start watching a show from the beginning anymore because I don't know what the new shows are or what the reviews of them are like. I just don't pay attention to the TV press. I usually only get wind of which shows are good 2-3 years into their runs.

So, shows I got wind of late, started watching, and watched all (or at least many of) the early episodes I missed:

West Wing
Sopranos
Damages
Seinfeld
Law & Order

I started watching Lost from the beginning but it began to grate on me somewhere in season 2 or 3 and I quit. Same with Thirtysomething.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Gail "cyborg" wrote: "You didn't like Twin Peaks Larry? I have the sound track on my phone. :)"

No I did like it. Visited Snoqualmie Falls, Washington where the opening scene was shot, too.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Life on Mars - UK version
Entourage
Men of a Certain Age
Rizzoli & Isles

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Larry wrote: "Gail "cyborg" wrote: "You didn't like Twin Peaks Larry? I have the sound track on my phone. :)"

No I did like it. Visited Snoqualmie Falls, Washington where the opening scene was shot, too."

Yay Snoqualmie!

message 27: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "There isn't anything I am watching on television at the moment. These are shows I made an effort to watch.

Life on Mars
X-files (early on)
Twin Peaks (the first series)
Hamish Macbeth
Sea ..."

Gail, SEA CHANGE is one of those Jesse Stone stories right? I like those.

message 28: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Probably only X-Files, Twin Peaks, L.A. Law, Miami Vice, Murder One, Knots Landing, America's Next Top Model, and Wiseguy. But this is because I am a terribly undisciplined tv watcher; I almost ne..."

Lobstergirl, I watch:

DAMAGES-- I've seen seasons 1 & 2 and will probably continue

SEINFELD-- I enjoy this show but have not seen all the episodes

LAW & ORDER-- I only watch if I like the storyline

SOPRANOS & WEST WING--never watched

I watch a lot of shows, reality and otherwise. The ones I'm liking this season are:

RIZZOLI & ISLES
THE GATES
MASTER CHEF--premieres tonight

I'm looking forward to:
RAISING HOPE
A show set in a call center in India(based on the movie OUTSOURCED which I really enjoyed)

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 27, 2010 04:50PM) (new)

Mona wrote:"Gail, SEA CHANGE is one of those Jesse Stone stories right? I like those... "

No it was an Australian series in the 1999, it was really well done. I hope this link helps.

http://www.australiantelevision.net/s...

There was another Australian series that was brilliant I forgot to add.
"Front Line" - http://www.australiantelevision.net/f...

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I love Damages and my fear is it will get cancelled. They killed off one of my favorite characters at the end of Season 3 so that irks me, but I'd watch it no matter what.

Another great "show": Frontline...

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh....well I guess that's better than outright cancellation. I don't have DirecTV so I guess I'll be buying the episodes off Amazon or something.

I bought two episodes last season that I'd missed and I always wondered if they would disappear off my laptop after awhile, like some of those Kindle books.

message 32: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments Maybe they will release the seasons of Damages on DVD.

And, I agree, Frontline is a good one.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.