The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > How much does Lorelai read?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Percy (last edited Jul 21, 2010 09:06AM) (new)

Percy Pigsbottom I've never pictured Lorelai as a big reader and she is rarely seen reading in the show BUT she constantly makes references to books. This has made me puzzle over how much she reads.

I know she did attempt Proust in Series 1 but didn't get very far. Also Rory mentions at her High School Graduation that there were always books around the house when she was growing up. These must have been Lorelai's. The only book I remember seeing Lorelai read is one about a music band.

I'm curious about what others think. Many of the characters in the show read and it seems strange that a central character like Lorelai does not seem to read much.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think she does read quite a bit, but definitely nowhere near as much as Rory. I know she's read On the Road. She says she hasn't read Out of Africa. She wanted to read that Colette biography when they went on their road trip to Harvard. I'd say she reads more pop culture, modern books than old classics. But she's still quite well read.

message 3: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments She also read textbooks, I'm sure, when she was at college (business school or community college, I think.)

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina | 8 comments During the series she read "I'm With the Band" by Pamela Des Barres and also read a book by Motely Crue. She basically read textbooks for her business school and tried Proust but mainly read band books.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (atkinshayley) | 9 comments I think she probably read some. Maybe it was a childhood love that fell to the back burner when Rory was born and she had to work. So I think she used to read more and passed along that love to her daughter by introducing her to books. She probably wasn't as crazy about it as Rory is. But I think she still reads some. Like those people who read some, but don't really get into it or make a hobby out of it. I'd say she reads pop culture books and bestsellers and things. Or things that Rory thinks she might be interested in. That's just my idea.

message 6: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay When Jess buys Rory's basket and they end up going out for pizza and browsing in the bookstore for awhile, Rory picks up a book for Lorelai. I can't remember what it was but it was something literary and old...

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (scotlandroad) | 2 comments To Lindsay: I think it was "The Children's Hour".

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie | 16 comments I think she does read just not as much as Rory.

message 9: by Pinky_rocks (new)

Pinky_rocks | 5 comments She also mentions that she could probably cite Michael Crichton instead of Proust. I also think she reads more off the bestseller list and the focus of the show is not on Lorelai being a bookworm so it's natural that she's not seen with a book all the time.