Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Book/Author/Series/Genre > Who is on your auto-buy/reserve list?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 77 comments So who are your favorite authors, and which ones do you automatically pre-order/reserve from library before reading reviews?

message 2: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments I'm kind of a laid back reader so don't pre-order new books and go off my TBR list when reserving from the library, whatever they happen to have is what I reserve, usually 3 books at a time.

However, I do really like Carl Hiaasen and might even buy his new one since it has been a while since he's written a fiction one. He did a sort of biography about golf in 2008 but I didn't read that one, and has done some YA recently. Anyway, his new one comes out the end of this month, it's called Star Island

message 3: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 77 comments My classic auto-buys are:

Nora Robers
Janet Evanovich
Christine Feehan (Carpanthian books)

Neither of them ever disappoint... okay so almost never. I have to watch out for Roberts though - she constantly is re-releasing old titles with new covers. I've been tricked more than once and now look for the NR seal on the books.

I had a bunch of others that were on my auto-buy before I had kids, but some of their recent stuff has been disappointing.

New authors have emerged though... I've just discovered Susan Wiggs for one. :)

And some oldies I've discovered for the first time: Betina Krahn, Catherine Coulter (historical romance, not suspense), and Jayne Krentz I never read until recently and now I'm grabbing up in droves.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 205 comments Some of my automatic reads are Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Steven Havill and Patricia McKillip.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Nobody. There isn't a single author that I buy the books without question. There are a couple of series by authors that I'm awaiting the next book. But those are series dependent and not author dependent.

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) I would have to say The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series and Christine Feehan's books is about it. I do look out for books from several other series but nothing the I would preorder or read without checking out its reviews.

message 7: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 77 comments Photojim wrote: "Nobody. There isn't a single author that I buy the books without question. There are a couple of series by authors that I'm awaiting the next book. But those are series dependent and not author ..."

you make a good point. Christine Feehan Carpathian books are more series dependent for me than author-dependent. I don't like the other series as much. Although honestly in Lindsey's case I've even considered stopping the series I'm following.

message 8: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) I have quit prordering since they are mostly going to Hardcover,I am still checking for Infinity to drop in price.I don`t like HC anyway and if it`s a keeper I usually replace them with PB

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jul 16, 2010 02:54PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I have a very limited book budget and I belong to an excellent public library system, so I don't buy new books that often.

However, here are the select few that I will go out and purchase once a new book is released:

JR Ward's BDB books, Kresley Cole's IAD books, Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling books, and Christine Feehan's Ghostwalkers books.

message 10: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments Charlaine Harris, Shannon Mckenna, Catherine Anderson, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, John Sandford Lucas Davenport and Virgin Flowers), Alexander McCall Smith's Precious Ramotswe and Isabelle Dalhousie books.

I don't necessarily auto buy these authors because I just can't afford to buy that many new books. But they're authors that for the most part I will read everything they write although it may take me awhile.

message 11: by Desperado (last edited Jul 16, 2010 03:22PM) (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 822 comments I like Yz have an limited budget & a pretty good library system (we have over 20 libraries in my city/county & they order alot of books) so I rarely buy books. I DO have to buy books for erotica/erotic romance since my library is lacking in those genres but I'm hoping that my recent membership to PBS will help me out in that area.

The authors I do auto-buy/reserve are Karen Chance, Lisa Kleypas (but only her HR's. I hate her CR's)Kresley Cole, Jeaniene Frost & recently, Lilith Saintcrow. I used to buy all of Charlaine Harris's novel but I've started to get them from the library in the last few years since her last two books disappointed me & I don't have the money to drop $24 bucks on a crap HC. It seems like alot of popular authors are putting out HC's now or at least Trade paperback when they used to only put out mmpb. Never underestimate the power of greed.

message 12: by Julianna (last edited Jul 16, 2010 09:24PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1750 comments I don't pre-order very often, but I do have some authors who I put their upcoming releases on my PBS wishlist and try to get them ASAP after they come out.
Catherine Anderson
Liz Carlyle
Gaelen Foley
Lorraine Heath
Elizabeth Hoyt
Lisa Kleypas
J.R. Ward

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments I wait for PB, don't buy HC. If I can, I read the HC edition from the library and then buy the PB version.

Kresley Cole's IAD, Jayne Ann Krentz, Shelly Laurenston - all series, Nalini Singh both series and Patricia Briggs, just started buying her back catalogue as well.

message 14: by LibraryLass (last edited Jul 17, 2010 02:51AM) (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments I don't pre-order books (cos I'm an instant gratification kinda gal), but I have several authors who I will fight to be first to reserve at work (public library)

Anything by Amanda Quick / Jayne Anne Krentz, Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, Patricia Briggs, Catherine Coulter (FBI series), Suzanne Brockmann, Linda Howard, Andrea Kane.... the list goes on. Patricia Briggs is the only UF/PNR series that I am up-to-date with otherwise my auto-reserve list would be too long to list. I am just slowly plodding through the series (and keep getting sidetracked with new ones ;()

Edited to add... Oh and big big time (can't believe I forgot)... but I will fight tooth and nail to be the first to read J. D. Robb's latest and always buy them as soon as they come out in mmp

message 15: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments To add to my other post: I don't do hardcover unless I find it cheap somewhere. I have enough books that I can wait for the paperback version.

message 16: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 77 comments Mary wrote: "To add to my other post: I don't do hardcover unless I find it cheap somewhere. I have enough books that I can wait for the paperback version."

I don't do hardcover for selfish reasons... more space and money for paperbacks. LOL

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a hardcover book. The only time I get to read a hardcover is when its from the library.

message 18: by Ashley♥Alexis (last edited Jul 19, 2010 08:50PM) (new)

Ashley♥Alexis | 309 comments Hands down, Nora Roberts is on the auto buy list.

I like to reserve anything by Jude Deveraux and Elizabeth Lowell. They aren't auto buys just yet because i haven't read enough of their work, so i'd rather just get it from the library before owning it.