Amazon Kindle discussion

My Name is Stormhawk, and i'm a Kindle-holic

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments My Graphite DX should be here next Monday, according to the shipping estimate.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 55 comments Oooo! Jealous! I would love a DX but it is just too big for me to carry around in my purse.

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I carry a big purse. ;)
(okay, actually a Timbuk2 small custom messenger. It's a lot easier than carrying a purse and a briefcase to work.)

Trying to decide if I want to hang onto my Kindle1 for times when I'd want a smaller (or less expensive) one to kick around with, or should I give it to my sister to enjoy?

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 55 comments Ah, let your sister borrow it. If she is an avid reader, she'll be buying her own in no time! Once you have one, you can't live without it.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Storm---I laughed so hard when I saw the title of this topic----it could fit me SOOOOO well (and I only have the 6" one, and yes it goes EVERYWHERE with m!!!

message 6: by stormhawk (last edited Jul 15, 2010 11:13AM) (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments In all honesty, if I had a Kindle2, I don't think I would have gotten the DX.

Maybe.

The 2 was released ONE WEEK after I purchased my 1. It doesn't owe me a penny, and I deserved the DX after a particularly traumatic camping trip I went on. I had to sleep in a tent. On the ground. With big icky bugs. And poison ivy. And rain. Rain that leaked into the tent, although not as badly as that of two other campers, so that was something. And no immediately accessible potty (bless the Luggable Loo, best invention ever). And I was cranky and irritable and craving chocolate.

So, yeah. I REALLY deserved something nice. It was either the DX or eat a whole chocolate swirl cheesecake, and I figured the DX Graphite would be way better for me in the long run.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 55 comments You deserve it, stormhawk! That sounds like a camping trip from hell! I love to camp but we have a travel trailer and even had pizza delivered to our campsite once. :)

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments I too like to camp, but after THAT experience, I am not sure if I would have settled for a Kindle---I think I would have held out for the Kindle AND the CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE!!!

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I enjoy camping in my friend's hotel-on-wheels. That is as close to the camping experience as I need to get. This tent in the wilderness like a savage thing has got to go ...

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) Welcome, Stormhawk (said in unison by the whole group in a flat tone).

As for me, I prefer to remain in Kindle-holic denial: I'm not THAT bad .... and I've cut back a lot.

Andrew E. Kaufman
Author
www.andrewekaufman.com

message 11: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments I am definitely a kindleholic. My husband and I both have K2s and I've downloaded the kindle app on my iPad, my Droid, my laptop, and my desktop. I think I've actually maxxed out the number of devices I can have on my account. But I can read wherever I happen to be!! :)

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) Ok, Uhoosier .... you win!

Andrew E. Kaufman/Author
www.andrewekaufman.com

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 30 comments Is it bad that sometimes my fingers start to shake when I'm not holding my kindle?

Love this thread. Best thing about the kindle is finding tons of great, cheap books!

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Amen to that Jennifer!!!!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments I am a Kindle-holic too! :)

message 16: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Jennifer wrote: "Is it bad that sometimes my fingers start to shake when I'm not holding my kindle?"

Thank goodness for Kindle for Crackberry!

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I am a Kindle-aholic. Recently I forced myself to stop buying so many Kindle books and start checking more out of the library. My Kindle and I will be true soulmates the day it can read ePub files. :) I bring my Kindle 2 everywhere I go. I started with a Kindle 1 in September 09 by December I upgraded to Kindle 2. I have gotten one for my mother and father and convinced my boss to get one. I check the kindle boards everyday for new news and I am pretty sure I will have to get the Kindle 3. :)

message 18: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments Regina, there is a way for the Kindle to read ePub files. There is some software called Stanza that can export to the Kindle format. As long as your book/file doesn't contain DRM it will work. Generally any book you buy online will have DRM on it and the free ones will be fine. Hope this helps you and your Kindle in becoming soulmates :)

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Lol. I want epub to read library books and they all have drm. :)

message 20: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments The DX Graphite is nice, but I'm having some challenges adapting to the new navigation strategy. The five way switch is nice, but I thought the Kindle 1 was a lot more intuitive to use out of the box. The shipping container was a lot more utilitarian, but it was sturdy.

It was very easy to transfer files from my computer to the new DX (rather than downloading one at a time from amazon). took about 5 minutes all told. I've been going back and forth through the afternoon between reading and starting to sort things out into categories.

I like the size of the screen, but the keyboard is a little challenging to use, as I can't balance the DX on my hands and type with my thumbs, like I did on the Kindle1 and the Blackberry.

The display is much clearer, with better contrast, and the native PDF reader is fantastic.

I like the graphite gray case color. It makes the Kindle itself fade more into the background than the white.

I think the DX and I are going to get along just fine.

message 21: by NovelReaction (new)

NovelReaction | 4 comments Hi, my name is Jessica and I am a kindle-holic. My last two purse purchases had to be a specific size to fit my kindle in it. I find myself hesitant to reread paperback or hardbound books I already own and checking the eprice to see if I can justify buying it on the Kindle because I would rather hold my Kindle.

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments So... I balanced my checkbook for last month seems I spent $50.00 on Kindle. I guess I am a kindle-holic too.

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna | 50 comments I'm definitely a Kindle-holic. I find myself BUYING kindle books for paper books I already own. How sad is that???

Stormhawk, I have been lusting over the DX also. The only thing stopping me is my purse size. My kindle 2 fits perfectly. Please keep us updated on your DX experience. (and you couldn't have paid me enough to go on that camping trip!!!)

Jennifer, I totally agree about the free and cheap books available. I have found some great authors that way. I now LOVE Charlie Huston and he was a freebie. Now I'm actually paying full price for some of his books.

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 33 comments I've been considering getting a skin for my Kindle2 because I don't like the white. I'm also starting to see some dirt/discoloration which bothers me a little (just a little distracting when I'm trying to read because I'm a little OCD about keeping my devices like new).

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Jeff, have started too look into that also. Have you found any good sites or good ones. I would like to find ones that aren't "busy" (designs ALL over). Please share any websites you have found!

message 26: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 3 comments Jeff wrote: "I've been considering getting a skin for my Kindle2 because I don't like the white. I'm also starting to see some dirt/discoloration which bothers me a little (just a little distracting when I'm t..."

I bought a skin right after I got my Kindle and I find it's actually easier to read with the skin on. Try Decalgirl.com, I read a bunch of reviews and found this was the best one, that was 7 mths ago so there may be new ones that are better. Hope this helps.

message 27: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I love my skin from decalgirl!

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita | 11 comments Thanks for the info on Decalgirl. I just saw the one I wanted and based on Tonya & Regina's endorsements, it's ordered! Can't wait to get it. I'm a little over the white myself. ;)

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Thanks for the link info--am looking into them now. I too don't want "white" anymore! Oh the choices, the choices............. :-)

message 30: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 33 comments Terri wrote: "Jeff, have started too look into that also. Have you found any good sites or good ones. I would like to find ones that aren't "busy" (designs ALL over). Please share any websites you have found!"

If/when I get one it will be from Decalgirl. Lots of endorsements from people on this site and others about their products. I think I've seen (here) that they are easy to put on too. I was a little worried about that personally.

I also would like one that's not too "busy". They have a few at Decalgirl that don't have a crazy pattern or colors.

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberbounds) | 23 comments I ordered mine from Decalgirl last night. Its called Forest. May be too busy for others but I love it! The smudges on the white really bothers me too.

message 32: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments @ Jeff - There are several plain ones and some that are woodgrain-like - my husband likes those because they're 'not distracting.' I bought the one that looks like a library - thought it was fitting for the Kindle :)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments IUHoosier wrote: "@ Jeff - There are several plain ones and some that are woodgrain-like - my husband likes those because they're 'not distracting.' I bought the one that looks like a library - thought it was fitti..."

I have the library skin too. :) I love it and it isn't distracting and I agree it suits the device. :)

message 34: by Mary (last edited Sep 12, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Hi, my name is Mary, and I sleep with my K2 (just in case I awake in the night with an irresistible craving to read). (Actually, it's better than sleeping with a pile of print books next to me on the bed. They used to poke me in the side & wake me when I rolled over in my sleep.) And the thought of selling my K2 in order to afford a K3 makes me start to hyperventilate. So yeah, I'm a kindleholic too.

Oh, and about that OCD thing? I still have the plastic sheet on the front of my K2 that came with it because I haven't had a chance (since July) to buy a skin for the screen. I just put the cover over it and made a little cutout in the plastic that covered the little button you use to navigate. Sad, huh?

message 35: by stormhawk (last edited Sep 12, 2010 10:52AM) (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments No, that's smart.

Sad is that I now have three Kindles. K1, KDXG, and K3wifi. Plus Kindle for PC and Kindle for Crackberry.

Oh, and I sleep with my Kindle, also. Perhaps there is a business idea in that ... plush animal covers for your Kindle, perhaps with a rollcage, like in race cars, so you can't crush it.

message 36: by Kristie (new)

Kristie Cook (kristiecook) | 15 comments Wow, you all crack me up. And I thought I love my Kindle too much. I would be afraid of rolling over it, but I do like stormhawk's idea of a plush covering and some kind of roll protection. LOL

If you need something new to read, I'd love for you to try out my new release, Promise. Although, from what I've been told, you won't have to worry about sleeping with it. I've been asked to include a warning label that it may cause loss of sleep because you can't put it down. ;-)

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments Hi my name is Steph, and I am a Kindle-holic. I snatch up more books faster then I can read the ones I already have started.

message 38: by Donna (last edited Sep 15, 2010 02:29PM) (new)

Donna | 50 comments Steph, I'm in the same boat! I can't say no to good freebies, cheap kindle books, OR some of my old favorites! If it makes you feel any better, I probably have 150 books on my kindle that I have NOT read yet, and that's a conservative estimate. I am a book person from way back and have many "real" books I own that I haven't read yet, but that doesn't even slow me down on my kindle....

BTW, thanks to you guys, I not only have a skin on my kindle now, but bought skins for my phone, Ipod, and my granddaughter's phone and Ipod. You all should get a commission! LOL