Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > I'm scared to read this.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
Can someone read it and report back to me and tell me if it is icky, horrific, mundane, fascinating, or thrilling beyond belief?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/sci...

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 13, 2010 05:48PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The first paragraph is hella icky. Well, second paragraph, technically.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Don't have time now, but I'll read it later, Sally.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

::paces nervously::

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24286 comments Mod
It's actually fascinating. How babies born vaginally vs. by caesarean are coated in microbes from different parts of the mother - very, very interesting. I just skimmed it quickly but I want to reread it at some point.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

ooo, that sounds like wonderment!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

“Our bet was that the Caesarean section babies were sterile, but it’s like they’re magnets,” said Dr. Dominguez-Bello.

Magnets for mom's skin microbes!

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Now I want to toss "fecal transplantation" into a conversation.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's fascinating, Sally. You should read it.

I think all those kids with allergies have been kept in too clean of environments. They don't have the microbes they need.

They don't talk about that in the article, but it does say that people with asthma have different microbes than people without asthma.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

cool. will do
read
soon

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments fascinating! i do have a strong stomach though (must be all the lovely microbes living there) so it might not be for everyone.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments We are all mini universes of bacteria. I KNEW it!

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori I found that utterly fascinating. The only gross thing is the discussion of poop, which I don't find particularly gross really, and I know Sally has a healthy relationship to it too, well maybe not, Leah's poop gets far too much attention these days! But it's scientific, Sallers.

message 14: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) | 56 comments Sorry, I stopped reading at "fecal transplantation". >_> But I am glad her husbands poop helped her out! Now that's love.

message 15: by Ali (new)

Ali (alike) It's been years since I first heard of fecal transplantation and I'm still not comfortable with it.

But that article is totally worth reading, although very general.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments This was awesome! **wonders if Sally's baby was a C-section or a natural birth**

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.