Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Can You Separate Mel Gibson the Actor From cute kittens?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments NPR has an interesting article on whether or not Mel Gibson is still a "bankable" star after his (sad, really) rants on the news lately:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

Question...could you separate, while watching a film, Mel Gibson the actor, from Mel Gibson the ranter? Or is he too far gone to separate the two now? What do you think?

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali (alike) There are some actors whose screen presence can overcome knowledge of their real life craziness - Tom Cruise for example. Mel Gibson has always rubbed me the wrong way, though, regardless of his on-screen roles. Even when I was 12 and watched Braveheart, I thought he was an asshole. I had nothing to back up my prejudice. But in the years since he's done nothing but furnish me with ample proof.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Ali! That's a great first post. Yes, Tom Cruise does manage to transcend some of his weirdness...a different kind of issue than Mr. Gibson, yes, but still, good point.

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments So Mad Max has now morphed into Mad Mel? Regardless of what he does, "Mad Max" and "The Road Warrior" are still two of the greatest genre flicks of all time.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I've always felt he was a bit too much into the over-the-top violence and revenge aspect, film-wise. I don't like Mel.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I second RA's welcome Ali, thanks for jumping in.

message 7: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I listened to the entire taped conversation yesterday and it was unnerving. He was sooo angry. Oksana (I think that is her name) was cool as a cucumber almost no emotion at all. It was weird, like she was just pushing all his buttons. I lost most of my respect for Mel with his anti-Semite rant a few years back, but he sounds like someone on the edge right now. He needs some serious help. I am not defending his actions in any way, but there is an onion here to be peeled back. He left his wife, children, everything for this young woman and IMO in the phone call he sounds betrayed and desperate. At one point he says I have nothing, no friends. After going through a very contentious divorce myself where some ugly things were said on both sides, I wonder about Oksana's motivations in this whole thing. It is really very, very sad. I still love Gallipolli, Mad Max, Braveheart, and many of his other movies. I just don't think I can continue to support an obvious racist.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Mad Max and The Road Warrior are great movies, I agree. Those feel about 100 years old now.

message 9: by Ali (new)

Ali (alike) Thanks for the welcome, guys.

And I agree, the Mad Maxes are classics. Especially Beyond Thunderdome.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
Barb wrote: "The bimbo he knocked up and tried to make a go with"

she's pregnant?

message 11: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Pajiba.com (a terrific and utterly snarky entertainment blog) has an interesting take on what constitutes the tipping point with certain actors/directors. You should give this article a read.

I think you almost HAVE to separate someone like Mel Gibson the actor from his racist, drunken private persona. Now, we don't know yet if that's truly him on those tapes - his lawyers claim his ex-girlfriend is trying to extort him, but I don't buy that story - but it's difficult to not think of Mel Gibson now without thinking about how much of a bitter, angry man he's become. There's a part of me that feels sorry for him when he says he has nothing, no family, no friends, but, then again, he's brought that upon himself with his revolting racist talk.

And, for what it's worth, Whoopi Goldberg can go fuck herself; her stupid assertion that Gibson isn't a racist because he's an alcoholic and alcoholics don't know what they're saying is complete bullshit. Take it from someone who's been a stone's throw from ending up in AA; the shit that flies out of your mouth when you're drunk is the damned truth, and when Gibson's drunk off his ass and calling someone a "nigger," he damn well believes it. Alcohol's a truth serum in that regard.

I guess, for me, we have to wait until the truth comes out. Did Gibson beat his ex-girlfriend, as she asserts? If so, then I have a huge problem with him.

For example, I can't separate someone like Bing Crosby, because he projected this wholesome, goody-two-shoes image, when the truth was he was a mean drunk who beat his wife and kids repeatedly. Miles Davis, same thing. I guess we're forced to separate the public and private persona.

I mean, how else do we explain the grief over Michael Jackson's death, even though what we knew about his personal life was at times immoral and reprehensible?

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori I have to admit I've listened to his rants, and yesterday's was a shocker - he's clearly deranged what with his panting between outbursts he truly sounds rabid. Truth be told, I haven't liked him since Mad Max, so many of his movies have him martyred even going so far to have him die on a cross.

And while I know Miles Davis was abhorrent in his personal life, he's brilliant in his music. I also love Wagner's music.

But I can't read anything by Card anymore. I'm glad I read his Ender books before I knew about his.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Lori wrote: "But I can't read anything by Card anymore. I'm glad I read his Ender books before I knew about his."

His what?

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh dear! His political and religious practices.

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments I knew about the religion -- no idea what his political leanings are (though if others of his faith are any indication, he's probably faaaaaaaaaaaaaar to the right).

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Eggsactly.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, I can't read Card anymore. I lost my respect for Gibson with that rant a few years ago - and all of the other anti-Semitic stuff that has come from him and his father. Like Gus said, alcohol makes you more truthful, not less.

message 18: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments OMG, listening to that gave me deja vu.
Mel Gibson isn't just a narcissist, he's a fanatically religious narcissist! *shudders in revulsion*

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Well he is a piece of something!

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Well, now his reps are stating that he's been in therapy to work on all the horrible things that Oksana has done to him. And the PR machine continues! This was in People, who is obviously on his side and presenting him as the victim.

I've also read some comments on Radar, who is releasing all these tapes, as well as other places and I can't believe how many people are defending him and saying Oksana drove him to it with her extortion. And that people in their family talk like that all the time, so it's nothing.

It's astounding people find this acceptable behavior. Even if she is a bitch, my god, Mel is insane.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
I like this thread title. It is so very either/or, and I am taking it so literally. Yet you're all answering so intellectually.

I'm imagining a visual lineup of the two. And, say, Kevin Spacey too. Maybe Tom Selleck and David Hasselhoff. So you put one of the maniac Gibson, and one you have the crazed-eyed Braveheart man. Can you pick when he's acting and when he's just being his asshole self?

message 22: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 13, 2010 06:41PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is flying around the internet today...I apologize if you already saw it...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-...

I mean...did he really say all that? Holy shit!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I feel as sad as those kittens look about the things Mr. Gibson is saying. I couldn't even read all of them, I was feeling icky just looking at all that vitriol.
That man is messed up. He must just hate himself.

message 24: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Barb wrote: "Sally wrote: "Barb wrote: "The bimbo he knocked up and tried to make a go with"

she's pregnant?"

Not anymore ... rumor has it they got into a physical altercation while she was holding the b..."

they have an eight month old daughter

message 25: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Barb wrote: "Yikes. I finally just listened to it ...
Is it just me or are her fake boobs and "provocative" dress not what attracted him in the first place?

... he's a real piece of work isn't he?"

i had the same thought listening to that Barb....

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24281 comments Mod
It's not like I was ever a Mel Gibson fan to begin with, but once I heard about the first anti-semitic rant I lost whatever microscopic respect I had for him. So no, if I ever see another Mel Gibson movie, I definitely won't be able to separate good Mel from bad Mel.

TMZ says the police are talking to Oksana's 12 year old son who was fathered by Timothy Dalton. He may have heard or witnessed some of the abuse apparently.

It's just gross gross gross.

message 27: by Mary (last edited Jul 13, 2010 10:35PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I can dislike that Mel Gibson is a racist, antisemitic, wife-beating, philandering, substance-abusing, crazy-as-a-shithouse-rat psycho, and still respect his artistry. He's hardly the first unlikeable nutbag actor/director/public figure; he's just extremely, publicly vocal about it, which is very sad.

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Where's a Kanye-interrupting-Mel's-rant poster when we need one??!

message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments His rants remind me of former governor Blago...a friend from Chicago sent me this...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/lo...

This might be my favorite quote from a politician ever:

"I (expletive) busted my ass and pissed people off and gave your grandmother a free (expletive) ride on a bus. OK? I gave your (expletive) baby a chance to have health care," Blagojevich ranted. "And what do I get for that?" he continued, "Only 13 percent of you all out there think I'm doing a good job. So (expletive) all of you."

message 30: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Heidi wrote: "Where's a Kanye-interrupting-Mel's-rant poster when we need one??!"

LMAO

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm surprised nobody has made one yet.

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori Another day, another rant from Mel. THis one demanding a blow job, setting Oksana's priorities straight - she needs to always get give him one instantaneously, whenever he wants one, there's no excuse. So basically Mel is insane because he didn't get his blowjob?

I haven't listened yet. Haven't even listened to yesterday's yet.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I can't take Mel Gibson seriously. Think he's an ass, and not all that versatile.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24281 comments Mod
Is the beer gut part of the disguise, or is that Mel?

At any rate Barb, you are scaring me with the scary pictures.

message 35: by Monika (new)

Monika (monisue) | 13 comments Barb, I am so curious what the hand message was about. Just tell me what you need and I go for it, but don't let me wondering ;))

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Grocery list, Monika.

message 37: by Monika (new)

Monika (monisue) | 13 comments Oh really? Next time I go shopping I have to check my hand. There's a slight chance that I might be a chosen as well.

message 38: by Meels (last edited Sep 27, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) I think he's crazy, but I think I could separate. Otherwise I doubt I could watch a movie with that one pathetic little Brit...crap, what's his name? About a Boy, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill? Anyway, if I think about his pitiful, guilty little cheater face apologizing to the fans my skin crawls a little bit. Still, I like some of his movies and I don't even think about it during.

I don't know...Mel...he's just...I think maybe he has advanced syphilis or something. It's like he's delusional. I don't get it. He used to be one of my favorites. Maybe he's been suffering mini-strokes for the last 10 years or so? Am I trying to rationalize? Yeah, probably. I don't want to hate him, but he's seriously cracked.

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That is the greatest moustache ever. Where can I get one?

message 40: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Can You Separate Mel Gibson the Actor From cute kittens?

Sure, but it takes some effort because he usually has them pretty solidly on his fork.

message 41: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Phil wrote: "Can You Separate Mel Gibson the Actor From cute kittens?

Sure, but it takes some effort because he usually has them pretty solidly on his fork."

Heh, I thought you were going to say, "...glued to his lip."

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Lets not even go where I thought Phil was going to say.

message 43: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No, that would be Richard Gere...

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hah! Hand text from God!
Sez "OMG chk yrself out on utube. Srsly. U R ridiculous. TTYL."

message 45: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Sarah and God share gossip ;)

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Alecia wrote: "Sarah and God share gossip ;)"

And the same hairstylist, believe it or not.

message 47: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Not just any director could make the world’s first Pre-Second Vatican Council snuff film.