Newbery Books discussion

2010 Book of the Month > Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Jul 12, 2010 08:16PM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 29 comments I love this book. LOVE IT. My mother used to read a few of our "family favorites" to the sixth grade classes with another teacher. They loved it. I have performed a few of them with my husband to reading groups, family and even a few friends. They always love it.

Some of the poems are better then others. "Book Lice" is a favorite followed closely by "Honeybees" and "Water Striders."

The fun in these poems is reading them out loud with another person. It is not nearly as enjoyable if you read them silently alone. Give 'em a try; it doesn't take that long to read through. Has anyone else read this?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 13 comments I thought the idea of poems for two voices was great, and really fun. A lot of the poems were pretty good too. But, I'm not gonna lie- I thought that it was weird that it was about bugs. I wouldn't have ever picked it up if it wasn't for the Newbery sticker, and I wasn't hugely impressed by it...

message 3: by Luann (last edited Jul 13, 2010 12:22AM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 26 comments I love that you have performed some of the poems, Kristen! I "read" this one in audiobook format. There were two readers who performed the poems. I liked it much better than reading it silently or even aloud by myself.

I agree, Ashley, that it's too bad the poems are only about insects. The idea of poems for two voices is a lot of fun! They should have done a whole series of books - on different animal families, the seasons, human families, school, holidays, historical figures, etc., etc. I could definitely use some poems like these on different topics in my library lessons!

ETA: I just went through Paul Fleischman's book list and he DID write a couple more poem books. I guess they just aren't as well known because they didn't win a Newbery! Or at least I wasn't aware of them. I Am Phoenix: Poems for Two Voices is a book for birds. Looks like Big Talk: Poems for Four Voices only has three poems, and they are written for families/students.

message 4: by Kristen (last edited Jul 13, 2010 03:16PM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 29 comments Luann wrote: "I love that you have performed some of the poems, Kristen! I "read" this one in audiobook format. There were two readers who performed the poems. I liked it much better than reading it silently or ..."
It's a good stand by talent show act. :) Strangely enough it has never occurred to me to see if he had other books. I am going to check these out! Thanks Luann. I agree that it would have been fun to have more. I don't mind that it's about bugs. It teaches kids along with being Gender neutral. Jon Sciezka argues that there are not enough boy books out there and I can see what he means sometimes.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 60 comments This was a fun book to read aloud with my almost 7 year old granddaughter and her mother. It made insects interesting and even personal, but I won't think twice about killing the next mosquito I meet.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 66 comments These poems for two voices are cool. I enjoyed reading some of them aloud with my mother-in-law who is Kathy (see above). :) Truly good language is a real treat for me and best shared!

Another fun book of insect poetry is Insectlopedia by Douglas Florian. It's aimed at a little younger audience than Joyful Noise, but like all good poetry, it's enjoyable to adults and a wide age range. My kids like Insectlopedia so much that they have memorized several of the poems.

I think it's neat that Paul Fleischman (Joyful Noise) and his father Sid Fleischman (The Whipping Boy) both are Newbery winners. I also like other books I've read by Paul Fleischman like The Borning Room and Seedfolks. In Seedfolks he credits his mother for her gardening talent as well as his father for his literary influence.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 4 comments Seedfolks was wonderful. i've read it three or four times now. find it good to read after watching the news.

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1 comments This book was fun! I've never heard of poems for multiple voices. It was a bit difficult to coordinate the timing, but with a little practice it got better. These poems were really clever :)

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristine_a) | 140 comments Mod
I was surprised how much I liked this book! Some were funny (honeybees) some were wistful and poignant (chrysalis, digger wasp) and some were clever (book lice). Although I imagine the one about the book lice to go over the heads of most children. My 5yo totally loves bugs so she actually listened to these with me and had LOTS of questions. It was fun.