Does Providence Read? discussion

I read

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Danielle | 1 comments most of the books I've been reading are from the athaneum, because a nice friend gave me a free 6 month pass, it will end in january I think. Have either of you been there? its pretty awesome.

message 2: by James (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

James | 3 comments Mod
No what is the Athaneum??

message 3: by Evan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Evan | 2 comments Really old library on Benefit Street. A favorite hangout for H.P. Lovecraft. The fountain outside is cursed.

message 4: by James (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

James | 3 comments Mod
sounds awesome, is it free to browse or do you need a membership to get in at all?

message 5: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Mike | 2 comments So what's the cream of the crop for used stores in town. I haven't bought many books lately as I've been moving around and trying to keep the amount of stuff I have as spartan as possible... but now I'm in a comfortable place so...

message 6: by Evan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Evan | 2 comments Athaneum is free to browse... you should go in and look around. There is a membership fee for checking stuff out.

Used books in Prov = Cellar Stories (downtown), Myopic Books (Wayland Square), and I think there's a new one around the corner from White Electric on Westminster.

message 7: by James (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

James | 3 comments Mod
Yea Ada Books.its really awesome in there i definitely recommend checking them out and its cheap. both myopic and cellar stories can be a bit exspensive for used books.

message 8: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Jess Ada Books is pretty stellar -- Brent, the owner, is this incredible guy with great taste (I mean, he named the store after the Nabokov novel, you can trust him.) He also buys used books and will let you trade, which is pretty convenient when you're short on cash and new books.

message 9: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Mike | 2 comments Thanks all! I went to Ada the other day. Excellent store and Brent was a very nice guy. More than happy to bring him my business. Had great music playing at the store and gave me the names of a few groups to check out.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The Providence Atheneum is the 3rd oldest library in the country. Poe used to rendezvous with his lover there. Its a lovely library. Friendly and knowledgeable staff as well. They have events, an annual poetry contest.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy  Eller Lewis (amyellerlewis) | 1 comments Carole-Lynn wrote: "The Providence Atheneum is the 3rd oldest library in the country. Poe used to rendezvous with his lover there. Its a lovely library. Friendly and knowledgeable staff as well. They have events, an ..."

We're actually the 4th oldest (Newport's Redwood is the oldest). It is a great place to hang out, look at books. Also, subscription rates are REALLY reasonable: less per month than Netflix (less than $17/month). Come check us out!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I gotta get me to Redwood!