Going After Cacciato Going After Cacciato discussion

Cacciato

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ted An unusual story- part war tale, part spacy metaphor but ultimately engaging and very worth reading

message 2: by Kristin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Kristin I agree. I read this book with a pencil in hand taking notes in the margin. I loved trying to seperate the reality from the fiction and more than anything I couldn't wait to see Paris. A brilliant novel. If you like other Tim O'Brien you will like GAC.

Cora I love the twist the author sneaks in. Paul Berlin is actually dreaming up his adventure chasing after the ellusive Cacciato.
I find the book as a reminder of the sad but terrible truth of the thoughts that run through a soldier's mind when he does not know what he is fighting for.

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Jan 03, 2013 09:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks I don't recall the author neatly wrapping everything up in that conventional 'cop-out' manner; but its been a while since I read it. If he really did it that way, it wouldn't be so admirable. Leaving it ambiguous is by far the better way to go. I *do* recall the ambiguity of this work, that's what stuck with me, and I relish that. One of the greatest modern American novels. Unqualified awesomeness.