J.D. Robb discussion

Memory in Death (In Death, #22)
This topic is about Memory in Death
In Death Books > Memory In Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Previously I considered this one of my least favorite books. But I just finished listening to it, and I forgot about Peabody having to interview Roarke which is a great scene and the great Christmas they celebrate for their second year of marriage. Also included in the book is Peabody having sex in the office, and her visit to Scotland. There's also a great scene with Dr. Mira and her husband Dennis in which Eve actually cries, and Peabody takes point on the Zero case in the beginning of the book. All of these are great add-ons to the original investigation and show the further development of the characters.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 43 comments Memory takes place at Xmas time, and at one point Eve phones the lab with some questions. Everyone's on holiday, and she just gets a recording of "Jingle Bell Rock" on the answering machine.

My uncle wrote "Jingle Bell Rock."(The lyrics, at least.) This mention gave me a weird little smile of synchronicity.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13661 comments Mod
Stephen wrote: "Memory takes place at Xmas time, and at one point Eve phones the lab with some questions. Everyone's on holiday, and she just gets a recording of "Jingle Bell Rock" on the answering machine.

My un..."

How cool.

I liked this book because it has so many memorable scenes. One I recall is after Trudy visits Eve, she goes home and is a mess. Both Sumnerset and Roarke tend to her. And, who can forget the scene between Trudy and Roarke! Scary Roarke.

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Oohhh! I love scary Roarke <3

Alyssa (Hesperia) wrote: "Oohhh! I love scary Roarke <3"

So do I.

message 7: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 15, 2011 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Scary Roarke is so great! And nice highlights, Vanessa!

I love how Peabody is freaking out about Scotland and kinda trying to come up with excuses why they can't go... And the argument that leads up to the office sex... Silly McNab! (view spoiler)

EDIT: Should I use spoiler tags? Or are we assuming that people aren't going to be in this thread unless they've read the book?

Since it's about the book, I wouldn't think we need it but I hate spoiling things for fans so I use it as a precaution.

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments I finished this one recently. I love the relationship that has developed between Peabody and Eve. It really surfaces a couple of times in this book....how far they have come. The second that Eve is out of earshot after running into Trudy, Peabody is on the 'link trying to reach Roarke to alert him that something is seriously going on with Eve.

The other scene that caught my attention is how well Eve anticipates almost everything. Obviously in her hature as a homicide detective...but she KNEW that the trip that Peabody & McNab were taking to Scotland was really going to be expensive (and probably knew it was causing a strain in their relationship)....so she covered the travel expenses in full as her Christmas gift. Eve can be so creative in her gift giving. She doesn't seem to enjoy shopping but she does a wonderful job.

I need a little help. I don't know if the audio version I downloaded from the library skipped something or what, but there was a section where things seemed to jump. The main thing that I felt I didn't "get" in the storyline was what Peabody got for Eve & Roarke. Peabody left two boxes for them and even inquired to Eve as to what she thought and Eve said they hadn't opened them yet. Can anyone help? Or did that get omitted entirely from the story?

message 10: by Dee (last edited Jun 25, 2011 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Karon, Peabody's gift was mentioned in the unabridged audio version of Memory in Death. It was toward the end. Peabody and McNab are back from Scotland and Eve and Delia are both in the elevator when Peabody sees that Eve is wearing the sweater. Eve looks bafffled and down at what she is wearing and says something like it's warm and light. I like it...You made it? Tells her she made both of their sweaters and wove a jacket for Ian. She also tells her that McNab sprang for the material.

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Memory in Death was great up until the end. If Zana was so street smart she would know that a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth closed. She would be a more believable character if she shouted for a lawyer as soon as she was accused. Of course that would have been more problematic for Robb.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments I'm amazed that more people don't shout for lawyers. Of course Dallas is promising them if they do shout for one, then they won't get a deal or they'll end up in holding or something. She really is the master of the confession.

message 13: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Vanessa wrote: "I'm amazed that more people don't shout for lawyers. Of course Dallas is promising them if they do shout for one, then they won't get a deal or they'll end up in holding or something. She really is..."

I agree Eve is really a master of the confession, but you would think that a street-wise person would know that cops lie and it is the DA that makes the deals not the cops.

Zana was a narcissist, which overrides all else. In her mind it was all about conning Eve, not being smart. That's pretty typical behavior for a criminal that believes their own schtick.

message 15: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments You are not conning anyone when you admit to the killing.

message 16: by Vera (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera M. | 446 comments My second time through this series on this book... So many cool things in it and many already mentioned in the thread. I also love the scene where summer set and roarke are talking about eve. Roarke asking if they could get along until atleast Boxing Day. Summersets comments about "she is not who I would've picked for you, but...."

And there's that "but"....

message 18: by Drz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Drz | 17 comments I love the scene with Roarke and Trudy. Just reminds us that his scary side is still there.

I LOVE scary Roarke! I agree Drz, that scene was wonderful.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Agreed, Drz! Is this the one where Eve talks about instilling the "fear of Roarke" into people and how it differs from the fear of God? ;) That was funny....

message 21: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina | 103 comments Oh yeah, I love how scary Roarke is in this one. I always picture that scene of Trudy running out of his office like the hounds of hell are nipping at her heels. I cackle.

The other thing I really liked about this installment is that I think it is the first time in the books we get a glimpse of what Eve's life was like after she was rescued in the alley but before the Academy. Very little is known or mentioned about her teen years.

You're right, Tina. I think this may be the only book in the series that gives us a glimpse of that period of her life.

Cast List (view spoiler)

There are no spoilers in the list. It's only set up this way because of its length and for easy reference.

message 24: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I liked looking at a piece of Eve's past as it has been a few books since this has happened. It showed me that there were more like her but she and some of the other's under Trudy's care ended up with a really good life. Scary Roarke just shows how protective and his love for Eve. The glimpse of Summerset's compassion for Eve and his continual support for Roarke shone through for me at least. I also liked the scene when the 3 of them were sitting having a drink in the parlour, the conversation between Roarke and Summerset's then Eve's gift of the photo for Roarke pulled at my heart a bit.

message 25: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I am not sure anyone agrees with me, but I liked the part when Eve's foster mother (it has been awhile since I read the book and can't remember "mom's" name)
showed up. I liked when Eve left. Did Peabody call Roarke?

message 26: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3245 comments Yes, Peabody called Roarke. She was Trudy right? Momma Tru!

Oh, I "liked" that part, too, though it was tough on Eve. You just knew there was going to be an eventual showdown with Roarke. I remember licking my chops in anticipation:)

Belles | 156 comments Jonetta wrote: "I remember licking my chops in anticipation:)"

Ha ha! Yes, I too was looking forward to Roarke's slap down of that horrid woman. And like everyone else above, I love scary Roarke, too.

I won't repeat everything that's been said above - you guys already hit on all the great scenes.

One of the things that really struck me was that Eve had a few happy memories from childhood: Bobby sneaking food to her, and the boy across the street letting her try out his glide-thing. With so many awful things in her past, she had a few moments of happiness. I was kind of hoping to see more of this in the series, but you guys indicated above that this might be the only glimpse into Eve's past since she escaped her father. Well, I suppose I'll just have to "suffer" through the Roarke era of her life. ;)

But oh what sweet suffering!

Michelle | 2389 comments Belles at this stage you should know that often moments of her past good and bad sneaks in when you least expect it. Hang in there.