SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Antidotes for restless readers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You know when you go through a phase where you take forever to pick a book to read, but you can't seem to finish anything? You stop and start, stop and start...

What books help get you reading again? Or what do you do to get out of your reading rut?

I usually read Terry Pratchett. His books are always clever and fun, and they're quick reads. Otherwise, I read really short books, like Pocket Penguins. Sometimes just being able to finish something gets me out of the rut.

Otherwise, it helps to just avoid reading for a bit, with work, going out, movies, etc. and eventually I start to miss it.

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I reread the Harry Potters :)

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I know exactly what you mean Lauren and from time to time go through a reading rut myself. I think most people do. There are times when I am really looking forward to reading a book, and then that book doesnt live upto my expectations and I am left disappointed, I then have to stop reading that book and I hate doing that, then I am left thinking what do I read now?

Sometimes it depends what mood you are in, and some books are just too slow for me.Some books are meant to be read at different times.

When I do get into a reading rut,I normally read something lacklustre, something easy to read which doesnt require much brain matter. That normally works.Or read something completely different from what I am used to, and in the past this has helped me branch out into reading different genres and extend my literary palate.

Sookie Stackhouse books are light and easy
The Godfather
Little Women
The Twits or any Roald Dahl
Anne of Green Gables

At the end of the day dont read boring books..if they are boring then just move on.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I go through the rut to...
I usually do what you do Lauren, not read for a while.
Sometimes I'll start a book and not be interested in it at that moment. That book will end up lying on my table for weeks, then when I feel like reading again I'll pick it up.

Also sometimes I like to read something different. Even a magazine, I'll just keep reading but thats not the same as a book. But maybe it will have something interesting in it and I'll find myself heading to the library to read more about it.

I once read about some serial killer in a magazine, and then I'll go try to find the book... or I watch TV (I love the Crime and Investigation channel). I watched about Ted Bundy, and I ended up reading more about him.

Also when I'm studying I actually try not to read as much, otherwise I get totally distracted hehe.

Also being creative could get you out of a rut like that. It goes hand in hand with what Lauren said about working or keeping busy. Because reading is really a brain activity it sometimes helps to do something physical like making something, or baking something etc.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I've just come through a month-long rut where every book I picked up I couldn't get into and put them back on the shelf, I get very anxious, but I usually have to keep going until I find one that is a bit "different" and holds my interest - this time book:Stuart: A Life Backwards|103525]Alexander Masters got me back on track!

message 6: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Hmmm... No reading gets my out of my ruts, I must admit. I'll just watch couple of nights of DSTV and get really bored and irritated with it. Then I'll go to the gym a couple of nights and get bored with that and then start reading magazines and get bored with that and eventually I'll pick up a book again, and the world will be okay again.

I guess what I mean is generally when I'm in a rut, everything irritates me, not only reading. And this is usually when I'm overworked or really tired out. A couple of days of lazing around the house generally cures this.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You're right Emma, sometimes you're just in the wrong mood. That's why I seldom write a book off without finishing it. Sometimes you just need to wait for the right time to read it. A few times I've started a book, found it boring, and put it down after a few chapters. But then I try again in a different frame of mind (or a few years later) and really enjoy it.

Niecole I also pick up tidbits of information and want to learn more about things. The problem is that I become interested in too many things, and suddenly there are a list of books, websites, and articles I want to read right away. It's hard to pick just one.

Not reading too much now anyway, as I've been making lots of jewellery :D