Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > Predators

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I'm a bit of an action movie junkie, and love the Aliens series more than most of my female friends find to be healthy... So, it's no surprise that I'm SUPER excited about Predators opening this weekend!!

I'm sure that Adrian Brodie won't utter lines like "I ain't got time to bleed", but maybe one of the supporting cast will... Can't wait!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) It looks good. So here's hoping.

message 3: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 30 comments I'm hoping, but not expecting. Nothing saddens me more than seeing a good franchise raped by some dumb ass studio.

That said, I'm excited about the direction of the series, with a director that can please... lets hope that the rest falls in line and that Stan Winston doesn't turn in his grave.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I will be going to see this one, too! Looks like it might be awesome.

message 5: by Brainycat (last edited Jul 06, 2010 08:20PM) (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments Yeah, I'll be seeing this movie this weekend. GF chose the last flick we saw - Toy Story 3 - and I need some senseless violence to wash the Pixar off of my brain.

Get to the chopper!

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Nicely played!

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Awesome!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I'm looking forward to your thoughts. It looks interesting.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm going to see it tomorrow night. I'm a big Predator fan, so I'm looking forward to it!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Okay. Please post a review after you see it, Jason. :)

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Okay. Not a review really, but simply my reaction and thoughts. Tonight I went and saw Predators, and I'm glad to say that I was not dissapointed in the least. There were some stupid parts, but no movie is perfect!

Let me sum it up this way. If you are a fan of the first two Predator movies, you will probably also love this one. It has a ton of action and is just plain fun to watch.

I would say that it is perhaps better than both Alien Vs. Predator movies. You could tell that they were going for the overall feel of the first Predator, however. Which is fine with me. It was, as I said, a lot of fun to watch.

I'm still not sure if Adrian Brody was the best pick for the lead role. It's not that I don't think he's a good acter. I think that he's a brilliant actor, actually, but he just doesn't fit that tough guy act. Although his performance is more than capable in Predators, and the fact that he did some obvious weight lifting for the role, he talks in this husky/raspy voice that sometimes doesn't suit him.

All in all, a great movie! Go see it. It's your typical Predator film and will fit in very well with the franchise, I think.

message 12: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments I'm jealous! I don't think we'll get to it this weekend. Good to know that it's worthwhile!

message 13: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) I also went to see it tonight and enjoyed it immensely. I went in expecting a ton of action with a side of story, but I found myself actually liking the interesting story that was present. I liked Brody in this role, and I loved that Eric from That 70's Show was in the movie. Just like Jason said, if you liked the first two movies in the series, this one will surely satiate your appetite for more. I definitely recommend it.

message 14: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 45 comments Oh cool ... I might just have to go tomorrow!

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I doubt you'll be disappointed, Zuzana!

message 16: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 30 comments Jason wrote: "I would say that it is perhaps better than both Alien Vs. Predator movies."

That's not to hard, but I'm glad to hear some good reviews for this flick. Maybe the suits at Fox have learned some lessons about doing a good job with some of the best franchises that they happen to own.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Definitely. I think it also has a lot to do with who's behind making the films. Both the Alien vs Predators were basically from no names, if I remember correctly, so those suits at Fox would have a much easier time manipulating those producers, directors and whatnot.

I know that Robert Rodriguez was behind Predators to some degree, and I think it shows as there's a real love for the franchise displayed throughout the movie.

What I also liked about the movie was that, although the story starts out with a very intense scene, there is a natural progression to the plot that I feel was lacking in the AVP movies. It's not a movie for an audience full of HDD monkeys, as those suits from Fox/other studios seem to think we all are today.

message 18: by Zuzana (last edited Jul 11, 2010 03:00PM) (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 45 comments I actually liked the AVP flicks as pure escapist action films with two of my favorite "monsters" in them. :) I recall being pleasantly surprised that they were not as stupid as I expected them to be, LOL!

OK, so I just saw Predators, and I liked it but was not blown away. Interesting cast -- all really great in their own right, but oddly matched somehow ... don't know how to describe it. But I could see a bit of the tongue-in-cheek influence of Robert Rodriguez (love that man!) in it -- which helped it make more sense. Aaaanyway, Brody managed to get pretty buff for this movie! And Topher Grace was terrific. I was sorry that Danny Trejo didn't last longer. All in all, it comes off as pretty plausible for its universe, and I liked the nod to the original. Also, I liked that there was nothing way over the top ... but I kind of felt like something was missing. Don't know what it is ... will have to think about that longer.

I have some questions -- some things that maybe I missed in my blondness -- if you all are good with discussing spoilerific stuff. Let me know!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I will catch this one on video. It sounds like a movie I would like. I liked AVP the first one b/c it was great seeing a Black female in the action heroine role, and I liked her teaming up with the predator. My big issue was how fast the aliens gestated. That seemed kind of weird. My sister said the second AVP movie was really bad and gory, so I passed on that one.

message 20: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments I liked the AVP in Antarctica, for the same reasons Lady Danielle did. Also, the "cage match" needed to be done for these franchises, and they did it well. I found the bluray for ten bucks when Hollywood Video went out of business, and I've watched it a few times.

I don't recall the other one, but I've heard enough bad things about it I'll wait until... some other time to watch it.

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Go ahead, Zuzana. If your questions do have spoilers, just warn people first :)

I actually liked the AVP movies, though I do harp on them. I harp on them because they tend to cheapen the Alien movies so that they can move the plot along. I hate that. But they are good entertainment, and just fun to watch.

I thought Predators was awesome, too! Although it also did not blow me away, it will be one of my favorites this year.

####SPOILER#####

And I agree, Danny Trejo should have lasted much longer.

message 22: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 45 comments OK, here's my first question ...

####SPOILER#####

Who was flying the alien ship as it left the planet?

message 23: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) ####SPOILER####

Zu, I am pretty sure that it was an auto-pilot flying it.

message 24: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 30 comments just a question, have anyone read the original comic series AvP? The movies are a hodgepodge collection of points in the series packed together to make a movie.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I have not. I'd be interested in reading those.

message 26: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) I haven't either, but I definitely want to. I want to pick up the omnibus's for Predator, Alien and AvP.

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I agree with Brandon, Zuzana.

####SPOILER####

I think that the predator that was tied up, which Brody set free to in hopes to escape, set the ship flying on auto with his wrist thingamabobber, the thingamabobber that showed a holograph of Earth.

message 28: by Jerrod (last edited Jul 13, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 30 comments I only ask because most of my critiques are based upon having read the original idea as visualized by Dark Horse Comics. It's been years since I've read the originals, and not all in the series is worth it, the first few are really good... that I remember anyway.

message 29: by Brainycat (last edited Jul 13, 2010 10:21PM) (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments I saw Predators tonight. I really liked it. The effects were awesome, the action was good and none of that pesky "characterization" or "meaningful theme" nonsense tried to rear it's head and get in the way of the killin'.

Definitely recommended for fans of the first Predator.

EDIT: I saw Splice earlier this year, and Adrian was fantastic as a skinny little nerd. In Predators, he was WAY buffed out, and did a fantastic job playing a cold, heartless killer. Kudos to Adrian! Also, my GF was most impressed with this topless, sweaty fight scene.

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments My wife was impressed with that scene too! LOL.

Brody is an awesome actor! Looks like he has a bright future ahead of him.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Oh, I'm intrigued with the sweaty, topless fighting scene. :)

message 32: by Legsoffury (new)

Legsoffury okay, so we have gone way beyond the plausable "aliens fighting humans" scenario. I mean it's kind of becoming another Jason epic. Why even try to put any limits on it anymore.

They should just do what everybody wants them to do and make a Predator vs. Batman.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments No the next one is a tag team Alien and Predator vs. The Thing and the Hulk....

message 34: by Jea0126 (new)

Jea0126 | 203 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Oh, I'm intrigued with the sweaty, topless fighting scene. :)"

Why not just rent Gladiator and be done with it? ; )

message 35: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Brown (matthewjbrown) | 218 comments Who says you can't do both?

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "No the next one is a tag team Alien and Predator vs. The Thing and the Hulk...."

lol!