Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How are you when the weather gets really hot?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I suck. Today we're in the mid-eighties, high humidity, and I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it. Two rooms are air conditioned, at least, and I have the shades drawn in the other ones and fans running, so if the dogs want to sleep on the wood floors, they can, because they don't like the second floor with the air conditioning as much as the first floor where they can keep watch on their world.

You? How do you deal with insanely hot weather?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments it was 34-36 C (mid nineties F) on my birthday. i ate a lot of popsicles, but it was still far too hot.

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments <--- this is always a good idea.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It certainly is.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I'm normal...where I live it's always hot. :S

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lucky you.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Not at all! I want Autumn days! And snow!

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments It's going to be 98˚F today here in NYC. The AC helps indoors. So do cold showers.

The key is to get my dog out to the park early so he can get some exercise before the heat becomes totally unbearable. There's a small "pool" (actually a fiberglass trough) down at the dog run. That's pretty much his favorite thing on a day like this.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments It's so nice to see people still walk dogs. My dog takes itself for a walk because it doesn't like to pee or poo in our garden, and the humans are always too busy or fussing over the rabbits. It's inexplicable how the rabbits rank higher than it... Small, devious balls of fur that they are.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I handle cold way better than heat, but I will still get out in the heat to do things, you just have to learn to adjust your pace to a slower setting, and sitting in the shade helps too.

message 11: by Jonathan (last edited Jul 05, 2010 09:07AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Rachel wrote: "It's so nice to see people still walk dogs. My dog takes itself for a walk because it doesn't like to pee or poo in our garden, and the humans are always too busy or fussing over the rabbits. It's ..."

It's a benefit and liability of city living: there's really no option other than taking the dog for a proper walk on a leash (once you get to the park you can let him off in many areas). Anyway, teaching them to heel properly with a leash and collar is a great form of obedience training, and getting out and about doesn't do me any harm either...

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Hot? It's hot every day at home (was 101 F. yesterday), but it was too cold here in WA. With the breeze and the rain going most of the evening I ended up watching fireworks while wrapped in a blanket (and still shivering a bit). Back to OR today, so maybe a little more sun. Maybe.

message 13: by Heidi (last edited Jul 05, 2010 10:34AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I absolutely LOOOOVE to take cold showers when it's hot outside! I'll indulge in several a day if it's really hot - lately, the lows have been in the mid 90s, highs in the low 100s... and wicked, wicked humidity. It just makes my day. :)

Robby doesn't seem to like it. At. All. He does his business... and runs straight back indoors. So do Dutch and Stella (the roommate's dachsunds). I love that the heat sort of humbles the dogs. :) They become very affectionate and obedient in this sort of weather, moreso than usual. It's like they realize just how lucky they are to have chosen us humans because we control the thermostat and the water going into the bowls.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's 58 outside right now, at 11:00 in the morning. Still waiting for the sun to burn through the clouds and get to that high of 70.

Yippee.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
Worhtless. I am worthless in the heat. I'd take the cold and a down parka any single day of the effing week.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I am also "worhtless" in the heat and any other time.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "I am also "worhtless" in the heat and any other time."

Now that is not true Larry, you're very beneficial around here!

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Without wohrts.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
toga toga?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24281 comments Mod
F**king hate the heat. Cannot deal with it. Makes me very pissy. I do not like to sweat. A perfect summer day for me is 77 degrees, but I would be perfectly happy if it stayed in the 50s and 60s all summer.

message 21: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I stay inside in my AC. I don't even like going to the pool when it gets too hot. Like now. We had some blissful days in the low 80s last week but now we're looking at near 100 for this week.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments WANT .... WARM .... WEATHER!!!

I bought two pairs of shorts, dammit, and I'm sitting here feeling a little chilly. :(

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would ship you some if I could, Jackie.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Thanks, Larry. I just put on my knee socks again, and will be wearing a jacket on my walk in a bit.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's just not right. Don't they recognize July in Olympia?

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jackie, you can have ours... and then some.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's almost 65 now. But it's finally sunny.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments it has been hotter than a $2 pistol around here lately. high 90's with 102% humidity. we just deal with it. we were outside all day long yesterday and today just cooking out, playing and sweating like the sick guy in the Donner Party

message 29: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments My hoodies and sweatshirts don't come off till it hits at least 90 degrees. I have been accused of being cold blooded from time to time.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Jonathan wrote: "Rachel wrote: "It's so nice to see people still walk dogs. My dog takes itself for a walk because it doesn't like to pee or poo in our garden, and the humans are always too busy or fussing over the..."

True, true!

message 31: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Another scorcher here. It hit 99 yesterday, may go up to 101 today.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It's over 100 here today and humid. I can't handle it at all. I have to remind myself to eat, I have trouble sleeping, the air weighs five hundred pounds. I just go from AC to AC, blast the dog with a hose, then go back in the AC. I can't even sit in the kiddie pool because I burn so easily.

message 33: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I had to walk over to the bank a few minutes ago. The bank is on 79th and Broadway; I live on 84th and Riverside: a ten minute walk normally. In this heat, it took me 45 minutes roundtrip. Along the way, I stopped in at the hardware store to cool off (didn't need anything there) and at Barnes and Noble. It's brutal out there...

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yowch.

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Yowch, and double yowch.

I just saw we hit a record high for this date--103 degrees in Central Park, breaking the previous record of 101, set in 1999...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07...

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ours is breaking a bit...high of 79....yesterday was slightly less humid, too. I tell you what, though, I was a whiny little bastard through some of this heat. But I was alone most of the time, so that was ok.

message 37: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Yowch is right Jonathan! That sounds just miserable. We have had two glorious days of cool weather - think 68. Back to the mid 80's today and hot and dry the next few days. It is still better than 100. Stay cool!

message 38: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments still hot and humid. 33C (91.4F) right now (it's 3:30).

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It got up to about 95 here yesterday, but I was at work in the air conditioning for most of it. And, it's not particularly humid here in Olympia, Washington, which makes it bearable, as long as you're not out in the full sun.

I just roll with it, put on shorts and a tank top and thank heavens I'm not still living in Texas heat. :)

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i eat more ice cream when it's hot. wait...i eat lots of ice cream all the time. i just eat it faster when it is hot out

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments SO happy, Barb!

message 42: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i eat more ice cream when it's hot. wait...i eat lots of ice cream all the time. i just eat it faster when it is hot out"

you have to before it melts!

message 43: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Holy cow I hate summer!!
I hate hot weather, it makes me feel crummy, flu like. A/C gives me headaches and sore joints.
all that darn sunshine makes me crabby. I can't sleep
because the birds start jabbering at 4AM.

Give me snow. Give me 15 degrees. Give me sunrise at 7 AM and sunset at 5 PM.

message 44: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) | 56 comments I don't mind the heat too much as long as I have access to air conditioning or some kind of breeze. Or if I am trying to sleep. It drives me crazy, then.

message 45: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart When it's hot, I strip down. I would like to wear no clothes at all if that were allowed in public.

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Go to Hippie Hollow in Austin. :)

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) HH

message 48: by Heidi (last edited Jul 24, 2010 08:37PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Hippie Hollow!!! :D Lake Travis!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry, do you have a picture for every occasion?

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I got a million of them, Gail. :)

« previous 1