Everything Harry Potter discussion

Discussions > Comparing

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hedwig, We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, but battle on. (new)

Hedwig | 328 comments Mod
Here is where you can compare Harry Potter to other books... and each person can say what they think!

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) Harry Potter vs. Twilight
I personally choose Harry Potter 'cuz I HATE Twilight greatly.

message 3: by Hedwig, We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, but battle on. (new)

Hedwig | 328 comments Mod
ahaha well harry potter is so much more well-written while twilight is mediocre. I think Twilights story line is okay but after a while it gets dull from lack of conflict. Meanwhile Harry Potter is nothing but conflict making it much more enjoyable to read...

message 4: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy i say HP is better than Twilight. Twilight sucked in my opinion, but yes we should choose the same genre.

message 5: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy Twilight is all about Romance :p

message 6: by April (new)

April Poole  (fangirlapril) how about Harry Potter v. Percy Jackson?

message 7: by Pandy (last edited Jul 16, 2010 11:49AM) (new)

Pandy I've only read the first Percy Jackson book and I didn't enjoy it at all. To me it seems as though, unlike Harry Potter, it's targeted at a certain audience without much of a crossover appeal to older YA and adult readers. (Based on what I've read on Goodreads, many people would obviously disagree.) The story shares too many similarities with Harry Potter for my liking. (Sorry I'm not being too specific. I found the story forgettable, but a couple of the things I remember are the Grover and Annabeth resembling Ron and Hermione too much respectively, the cabins being very similar to houses (with two being especially antagonistic), a horrible step-father with a personality like that of the Dursleys'. I know that there are many stories in which there is prophecy about the main character, but the prophecy in PJO just seems so much like the one in HP - this wouldn't bother me if there hadn't been so many other obvious similarities. And isn't there something about Percy having someone's eyes?)

I am by no means suggesting that all the concepts in Harry Potter are unique. All authors are inspired by other works. HP contains names, ideas etc. similar to earlier works such as LotR and The Wizard of Earthsea among others, but JKR (like some other authors) has used her creativity to put together such a magical world by making these ideas "her own." I just don't feel that Rick Riordan does this in the first PJO book. (I haven't read the others!) I don't mean to say that authors can't independently have similar ideas, but PJO's closeness to HP seems too obvious. This isn't the only book I feel this way about. For similar reasons I dislike the Inheritance series and Mortal Instruments.

Similarities aside, the first PJO book has an episodic feel, while the first HP book (I think it's only fair to compare the first books in this category since I only read the first PJO book) has the feeling of continuity - the book has a main story enriched by subplots, and it also has the sense of belonging to a larger story (again, maybe it's better if I leave this last part out, since I can't compare the both series in their entirety). When I’m reading PJO, I just don have the same feeling of “believing” in the world as I do when I’m reading HP (along with LotR and His Dark Materials among others), but it’s only my own fault that I don’t particularly care for the premise of Greek gods in modern society. :)

Edit: I just wanted to say that I don't mean to offend anyone who likes this book. Oh, and sorry about the kind of long response.

message 8: by April (new)

April Poole  (fangirlapril) I have a hard time judging between these two. I love them both (and I recognize that everyone has their opions, Pandy) and I see the similarities in some ways. However, I think that the basis for Rick Riordan's series is compleyelt dissimilar to that of HP. There are small details that cross over but I find that, having read both series in their entirety, they are exceedingly more different than they are similar. I think that sometimes people are loooking for similarities where there are none and we can never know what's goig n in a author's mind. In my opinon, one admirable quality of both series is their structure. Both are written with a large, main goal which holds over throughout the seires, and in each book they have a smaller adventure on the way to the larger goal. I highly enjoy the styles of both authors, and like that the books are interspersed with comic dialogue which adds to the feel of the story. Overall, I find it hard to look between these two books bcause I like them both very much.

message 9: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy Narnia! XD

message 10: by April (new)

April Poole  (fangirlapril) I think that they're really different books with very different subject matter so they're hard to compare but I would probably say My Sister's Keeper. I love both though.

message 11: by Pandy (new)

Pandy I haven't read My Sister's Keeper, but I'm planning on it. I think Narnia's okay. I read the series a few times seven or eight years ago, but I've mostly forgotten it now.

message 12: by Mirza (new)

Mirza (mirzaarhasan) | 403 comments I haven't yet read 'My sister's Keeper' but I heard that it's supposed to be all about family and internal cinflicts and eveythng. Its one of the 'deeply realizing', thught provoking books.

I love Narnia, all the characters. I just read the series this year... actually finishd the whole series in a week. Lol.

There ca't possibly be any comparisson between 'My Sistr's Keeper' and the Narnia series.

I think that since we are in a HP group, the criteria should be 'fantasy, children, young adult' and such.

Why don't we try Narnia, Twilight, Percy Jackson, vampire Academy., etc?

message 13: by Pandy (new)

Pandy I haven't read Twilight or Vampire Academy. Has anyone read His Dark Materials or the Bartimaeus trilogy? They're both amazing "YA" fantasy series, in my opinion, though Harry Potter will always be my favorite.

message 14: by April (new)

April Poole  (fangirlapril) I've read His Dark Materials, Vampire Academy and Twilight...

message 15: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy I've read Twilight, and the second PJ :P

I'm not allowed to read His Dark Materials.

message 16: by April (new)

April Poole  (fangirlapril) thats odd...why?

message 17: by Pandy (new)

Pandy I would assume that it has something to do with the way organized religion is portrayed in the book?

message 18: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy yes, the atheist views, it's like an atheist's Narnia.

message 19: by Pandy (last edited Aug 21, 2010 06:59PM) (new)

Pandy Have you read the books, Fadhilah?

Kimathy wrote: "yes, the atheist views, it's like an atheist's Narnia."

Does that mean that you aren't allowed to read the books just because they contain different ideas or because the ideas in question are considered "evil" for some reason by those who don't want you to read the book? (I don't mean to sound rude - I just have trouble understanding why some people are prevented from reading certain books.)

I don't feel that the books just spout atheist propaganda as some poeple seem to think. They primarily focuses on organized religion and the struggle for free will. The series deliberately starts out in a wardrobe, similar to the Chronicles of Narnia, but the story develops in a different way. As an atheist, I agree with the author's views presented in the book, but I also love the books for beautiful writing, and engaging characters (and the story, of course). Anyway, this is just my opinion - I don't mean to be dictating that that certain books should or shouldn't be read.

message 20: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy no, they sound good, but i don't want to support him.

message 21: by Pandy (new)

Pandy Sorry - I don't mean to be going on about this, but are you implying that you feel that reading the books means that you are agreeing with the author?

message 22: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy no, but i don't wish to support him. By that i mean fuel him with more money.

message 23: by Pandy (new)

Pandy Oh...I've never actually heard that reason before.

message 24: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy not to me.

message 25: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Annie (annieiscool13) | 793 comments Mod
Mirza wrote: "I haven't yet read 'My sister's Keeper' but I heard that it's supposed to be all about family and internal cinflicts and eveythng. Its one of the 'deeply realizing', thught provoking books.

I ..."

I finished Vampire Academy today! :)

message 26: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Yep! Very coolio I want the series for Christmas.

message 27: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

:p

message 28: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Im not! :P

message 29: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Haha.

message 30: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

O

message 31: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Ik, its not funny. One of my bffs has asthma.

message 32: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Let's compare Harry Potter to Twilight?

message 33: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Im in the middle.

message 34: by Annie, Pretty Little Liars!! :) (new)

Yup.