The Inheritors The Inheritors discussion

The Inheritors...PLEASE HELP

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Shannon McGowan Can someone assist me in how they would relate this book to 3 world history themes to show the fundamental historical components...I was thinking maybe slaves coming from Africa...and the intimadation the slave keepers had toward them....but I am even questioning that and I need three.

Frankie it's too bad. i have a whole list in my head but looks like this entry is from 9/5/07. lameness.

John McR I don't understand Shannon's question. Inheritors doesn't have anything to do with present-day 3rd world. It's about human vs non-human nature, and is a tragedy of sorts. It's a very difficult read, though.

Daniel What did you think about the shift in perspective in the last chapter? It really hit me, in a jarring sort of way, and I found it very chilling.

John McR Daniel wrote: "What did you think about the shift in perspective in the last chapter? It really hit me, in a jarring sort of way, and I found it very chilling."
I feel the same way, and think it's a masterful touch. The Neanderthals we know in the story are gone; by shifting the perspective to the Cro-Magnons(?) Golding renders all the Neanderthals obsolete, replaced by their inheritors, the C-Ms. I can't tell whether you like the shift or not.