Delirity discussion

Author S > Inside Out - M. Snyder

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jan 17, 2011 09:36PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Inside Out (Inside Out, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Outside In (Inside Out, #2) by Maria V. Snyder

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela B I'm not sure on this one...

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen My library doesn't have this one yet... they've been taking 2-3 months after a books been released to get it in. :/

message 4: by Heather (new)

I've read good reviews about it. I'm hopeful.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I have heard good things about this one too. But again I am waiting for it from the library. Hopefully it will be faster than Hex Hall, as I am still waiting on that one from last month.

message 6: by Heather (new)

I'm only a chapter in so far, but I'm interested. The first few pages had me worried, but that's because she's got a whole different world to establish. I'm getting more and more curious as the pages go by. I'll keep you updated since a lot of you haven't heard much about it. It looks like it has potential and Snyder's normally good.

message 7: by Heather (last edited Jul 08, 2010 02:06AM) (new)

So, I'm done with the first 10 chapters. Normally, this doesn't feel like a story that I would get behind, and if Snyder wasn't the author I probably would have put it down after the first page, but I've loved everything else that she's done so it's easy to convince myself to keep reading. While I want to laugh at some of the terms "uppers, "lowers", "Pop Cops", etc., I'm really interested in the story. Trella spends a lot of time climbing around in tunnels, something that sounds boring, but I'm interested. I want to know who's in control and if they'll be able to overthrow the existing government. I want to know what's on the outside. Now, I've only read the first chapter of The Hunger Games (I know! I know!), but I feel like it's a mix of that with House of Stairs. I haven't read enough of The Hunger Games to assure you that it's similar, but it has that theme of hope for something better that I felt during the first chapter. I feel like I have to finally finish The Hunger Games to tell you for sure. =)

***Spoilers****(through Ch. 10)

I wonder why they take blood from the people. Is it just to detect pregnancies or something else? Riley has me intrigued. I love that the kitchen staff has resorted to trying to help her out. I'm worried about Cog. I don't think she'll kill him off, but I'm still hoping he's okay.

message 8: by Heather (new)

I gave it 4 stars.
I have a feeling some of you will figure things out much faster then I did.

***Spoiler***

I had my feelings about the doctor and they were right. I really liked the ending with Trella's discovery. I can't believe what happened to Cog. It made me want to whimper.

message 9: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I finished it today. I really liked it! It reminds me a bit of [image error] , but I liked it a bit more.

***Spoilers for the ending***

I was thinking that there would be a way for them to get to a planet before the 1,000,000 day. It was obvious to me for a long time what the 1,000,000 day meant, but I was still hoping they could figure something else out. After Trella found the extra space, it didn't bother me as much though.

I am really interested to see what they find out about their past and I'm assuming our world. I wonder if the story will continue with Trella or will it be generations down the line where the next story takes place (if there is a next one)?

***End spoiler***

Heather, I wouldn't really say that this is like the Hunger Games, except that it is a dystopian type novel and having repressed people. The Hunger Games is much more action packed, but the goal is very similar. You need to read it!

message 10: by Heather (new)

I know I know! It's moving up on my list. I did emphasize that I had only read Ch. 1 because once I got to the end I realized how different it really was. But, I still got the same feeling at times. Snyder writes well. I loved Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder .

message 11: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I just finished this one and I liked it. I really liked the world. I loved how Trella thought she was a loner, but then had people rushing to help her. I also loved that all those that did help her were like a band of misfits.

I saw where things were going with the doctor pretty early, along with Riley. I loved the revelations at the end and want to know more.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Ya, I liked that everyone got behind her and that they were all so different, but banded together for a common cause.

message 13: by Heather (new)

I've got an ARC copy of Outside In and I'm reading it right now. I'm really curious to see where this will all go. Just because things are looking up at the end of book 1 it doesn't mean there aren't major issues left to be resolved. =)

message 14: by Heather (last edited Jan 17, 2011 09:38PM) (new)

Oh, and Carrie, the story continues with Trella. It's about 6 weeks after the end of the last one.

More of you need to give this series a try. Stacia, you might like it. I think it's you that's okay with sci-fi, and fantasy outside of the paranormal.

message 15: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Heather wrote: "Oh, and Carrie, the story continues with Trella. It's about 6 weeks after the end of the last one.

More of you need to give this series a try. Stacia, you might like it. I think it's you that'..."

Oh good! That gives me hope that I was still right.

message 16: by Heather (new)

I got the galley too. I'm getting frustrated since I can't read it on my kindle. I have to read it on the computer. Although, maybe if I just e-mail it to myself...Adobe files work. I just don't know if .acsm will work.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela B I plan on reading this at some point since I've heard good things and will read some sci-fi that isn't fantasy but just never get to it!

message 18: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Heather wrote: "I got the galley too. I'm getting frustrated since I can't read it on my kindle. I have to read it on the computer. Although, maybe if I just e-mail it to myself...Adobe files work. I just don't kn..."

It has to be pdf to work on the Kindle. If it is ADE it won't work. I think some have both epub and pdf, so it might work. I have never used these files I am not sure, but from what I have read, the acsm is just a way to unlock the ebook and then you can get the epub or pdf file. I would try to go to where it is saved on your computer and right click on the file, then choose open with calibre. If it does, see what format it is (when you click on the book to the right of the page will show it's info in a box). if it is pdf you should be able to send it to your reader. If it is epub, see if it will allow you to convert it to mobi. I don't know if it will, it might be DRM protected.

These files should work on a Sony or Nook though since they use ADE DRM.

message 19: by Heather (new)

It just says acsm. Grrr.

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela B Wellll Now that I realized this is by the author of the Study series it has moved up several notches on my list since I <3 those books

message 21: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Heather wrote: "It just says acsm. Grrr."

Heather, can you send me the file? I will see if I can play around with it and get it to do anything. Just pm me if you don't have my email address.

message 22: by Heather (new)

I guess the site I got it from is currently fixing their kindle stuff so that's why I don't have the option.

message 23: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Yeah, I can't even try to open it because it was already opened under a licensed user, which I am assuming is you.

Considering how popular Kindle is, they should have these available for them asap.

message 24: by Heather (new)

I guess they're uber protected files.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Snyder has another hit. Trella and the crew have overthrown their oppressors, leaving a power vacuum Inside. The new government isn't working, society is still segregated, and people are starting to give up hope that things will change for the better. Trella, the leader of the rebellion, has stepped back and allowed others to lead. She's still young and unsure of her ability to lead, but when someone starts sabotaging their home, Trella has to find out who it is before everyone is in danger. There is a new peril in every chapter. Someone is out to neutralize the new council's effectiveness and people are getting hurt. There's just one problem... Trella doesn't know who to trust. She can't figure out whether the danger is coming from Outside or Inside.

In Outside In, Snyder has upped her game. There's more drama and danger, making this installment of the series even better than the last. The mix of political, societal, and personal coming of age issues are what makes this a wonderful recommendation for teens, or YA readers. Unlike the weak, fluffy YA books that are flooding the market at the moment, readers of Outside In can take away lessons on human nature. Everyone needs to feel like there's an opportunity for things to get better, or that they're at least apart of something greater than themselves. When that's taken from someone, people can become desperate. While some may wallow in the lose of hope, others stand up and fight. That's what was makes Trella such a wonderful character. She may not want to step up and be a leader, but she's willing to put her life on the line to help those in needs when it counts. The problem is, in this book, Trella and the gang might not make it out alive.

message 26: by Zuleika (new)

Zuleika Wow, excited that this book has a sequel! I remember finishing Inside Out and being so pumped up I couldn't sleep. The romance is pretty meh, but the story/worldbuilding is really good and full of action

message 27: by Heather (new)

Anyone else get the Umbrella song stuck in their head after saying the name Trella? I'm going crazy. I can't get the song out of my mind and I never really liked it to begin with.