Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4) Odd Hours discussion

The End?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle I'm intrested on hearing what everyone thinks of the ending.

message 2: by Mom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mom I liked the ending more than the last one and of course it left a lot of room for questions as to who the girl is and what is she doing in his life

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen I thought the end left it open to yet another adventure in Odd's life. With the girl or without...there is an element of suspense with this new character.

Sarah I ahev so many questions about Annamarie. I definitely felt that Koontz left it open for another book about Odd and her. I sure hope he does because I didn't feel like it was a solid resolution. I wish the story could have been longer. I just love Odd so much- one of my all-time favorite book characters, so I hope there's more to come.

Scott anyone thinking that annamarie IS stormy in some way?

lots of hints -- e.g, "Stormy and only Stormy had sometimes called me 'Odd one.' " ... "Furthermore, I had the sense that everything she had said had carried more meaning than I had taken from it, and that eventually, when I looked back on our dinner, I would realize that on this night, in this hour, I should have known her for who she was."

if annamarie somehow is stormy or is some kind of link to her, then the ending propels the storyline toward their reunion.

Sarah I had the same thought, too. So, if it is her- has her spirit somehow entered Annamarie's body and is "possessing" it? Who is the father of the baby? I think it's a little weird, personally.

Chrisman I am reluctant to call the conclusion of the book an "ending." It was a Hollywood style ending that resolved nothing, and only served as a setup to the next installment.

I'm not sure if Annamarie *is* Stormy, but I feel as though she might be channeling her in some way. Stormy has made attempts to break through previously in this series. I recall a scene from Brother Odd in which one of the orphans channels her.

I thought about this book while watching Obama and McCain speak during the Rick Warren interview about whether or not evil exists.

Does anybody remember the line about how evil, true evil, does exist, and it will continue to not just exist, but thrive, until people realize that it needs to actually confronted and fought, and not just answered with yet another well meaning social program?

Struck me as relevant to their discussion.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone else catch the two (or possibly three) Chris Snow references in this book?

While I really enjoy Odd and his adventures, I sorely miss Chris and his gang.

Jimmy While I thought this was an entertaining read, it was the weakest of the Odd books for me.

Marina Fontaine I liked the book a lot, but wish it were self-contained instead of leaving us hanging with so many unanswered questions. At least we know for a fact there will be another installment, unlyke with Chris Snow series which REALLY left us hanging.

@Christopher- what you said about evil is what is reflected in recent DK work. He said in an interview at some point how in the beginning a lot of his villains were sick or had some Freudian reason for what they did, but now his views have changed and he sees evil as something that just is. The specific reference I remember being in Hideaway at the end when he tells how the doctor started viewing evil differently after his experiences.

message 11: by Matt (last edited Aug 23, 2011 03:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt This book is the worst of the Odd Thomas books for a few reasons. The first being that Dean left us nothing to go on about Annamarie. I think his intent was to make her mysterious so that we would be intrigued. He overdid it though and I came away confused and frustrated about her. Everything to do with her was unexplained from her knowledge of Odd and his dream and Stormy, to the Bell that seems to be able to control wildly large packs of coyotes. I wish that Odd would have had more help from his friends so that we could appreciate the good characters that were introduced a little better. I didn't like any of the new characters because of the simple fact that we didn't spend enough time with them to even get to know them; exception being Hutch who I enjoyed thoroughly. He was the highlight of the book. I didn't like the bold odd that is able to push aside his natural instinct and kill multiple people within just a few minutes. I still love the dry humor that Odd has in his conversations; probably the saving grace of the book.

Anyway, back on topic. The ending had much to be desired. I'm not sure what to think about Annamarie and the allusions to Stormy. I don't know how the whole trio thing will work when Blossom joins up with them. New girl plus mysterious-stormy-impersonator doesn't exactly work well in my mind. I had too many unanswered questions to be satisfied with this ending. Unlike other cliff-hangers that make you want to read more, I was just frustrated with this one.

Tommy Bones Matt wrote: "This book is the worst of the Odd Thomas books for a few reasons. The first being that Dean left us nothing to go on about Annamarie. I think his intent was to make her mysterious so that we woul..."

I completely agree with the feelings that the reader ends up with at the end of the book. It seemed as though the entire plot began because Annamaria was seen in Odd's dream. We get to know her - a little - and then *poof* she's gone until the very end. There are so many things that were said, for example, the "all in time" comments that Annamaria made, that were never fully explained, leaving us with a feeling of being let down, or we missed something, or aren't being told the whole story.
This wasn't one of my favorite Odd books, and I'm hoping the next one is better!

Jennifer Well, I don't know if it will make anyone feel any better about the way "Hours" ended, but Koontz wrote a series of 3 short-stories, available only through e-book (they are like $2 each on Amazon) called Odd Interlude #1, #2, and #3, and they pick up literally within minutes of where "Hours" ended. I suspect the recent release of these short stories was to generate a little excitement for the release of "Apocalypse" next week....

I'm only about half way through #2, so I won't comment too much on the story itself.... :)

message 14: by Kat, lover of bears... (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat, lover of bears... I was okay with Elvis in the first three. Charlaine Harris uses Elvis aka: Bubba in her Sookie Stackhouse series. When that storyline ended, there was no reason to bring in a new dead celebrity. I was irritated that not only Frank Sinatra, but as a poltergeist too? That was cheesy and the next book included another dead celebrity which made me so mad, I had to give Dean Koontz a rest for a while. He is my favorite author, but seriously irritating me right now. Other than the dead celebrities, I liked the book and the sequel answered a lot of questions this one left hanging.

Orkney Dean deleted user wrote: "Anyone else catch the two (or possibly three) Chris Snow references in this book?

While I really enjoy Odd and his adventures, I sorely miss Chris and his gang."

I have to admit to missing those references and for a while now I have thought it would be an amazing tale if Odd met Chris ..... and I have to say it, some of the characters from the Frankenstein novels. Maybe not the big guy himself but O'Connor and Maddison a definate and I'm thinking Odd would absolutely adore Jocko!
Hmm now do I re-read the book and look more closely for the Chris Snow references or do I get a hint :)

message 16: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue The ending was pretty unusual for this series, we were left wondering about Odd and Annamarie. Haven't read the follow up yet, so I'm hoping she returns and we get a bit more out of that storyline. Her purpose really wasn't established at least not for me. I kept wondering if she was a spirit but Odd ruled that out.

The whole storyline in a way was a revisit to book one without the consequences that impacted Odd in a profound way. So far I'd say book 1 and 3 are my favorites of this series, but all are worth the time to read and enjoy.

Nora aka Diva Annamarie is in the Odd Interlude short stories.

message 18: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Nora aka Diva wrote: "Annamarie is in the Odd Interlude short stories."

Good to know :), I'm positive I'll finish this series but I like to pace myself and not spoil a good thing.

Aundria Premo There will be at least two more Odd novels...do not despair! :)

Sasha Matt wrote: "This book is the worst of the Odd Thomas books for a few reasons. The first being that Dean left us nothing to go on about Annamarie. I think his intent was to make her mysterious so that we woul..."

I agree.

message 21: by Tuah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tuah Pengembara The finishing give me a lot of question mark????
Who is really Annamarie? and what happen in the future for both of them?
maybe i have to read another Odd book.. :)