What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. man goes to get memory erased because of breakup?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Shannon I remember reading a short story years and years ago, about a man who goes to get his memory erased because of a bad break-up. The process goes smoothly - when he walks back into the waiting room after the procedure, his ex is sitting there waiting to get the same procedure. But he doesn't recognize her because of it. I read this when I was about 13 - so the reading level was probably quite low. I think of this story often, and any help would be much appreciated!

message 2: by Carol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Carol | 14 comments sounds a lot like the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"...but don't know if if was a book first.

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I remember a similar story, but I think the lovers had drowned--that is, each thought the other had drowned. I remember the writing being somewhat overblown. If it's the same one, I have a copy of it upstairs somewhere. Unfortunately, I have copies of about another 1000 short stories "upstairs somewhere". Sorry I can't be more help, but I'll keep an eye out for it :).

message 4: by Kacey Rai (new)

Kacey Rai | 13 comments I remember a summery of a book like this but i never actually read the book,i'll try see if i can find it.

message 5: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Carol wrote: "sounds a lot like the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"...but don't know if if was a book first."

No, original screenplay.

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Perhaps "Hearts Do Not In Eyes Shine" by John Kessel?

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 141 comments That reminds me of an episode of House.... ;)

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 52 comments It sounds like a movie they are advertising NOW. I'll pay attention and let you know if I see it again.

message 9: by Tess (new)

Tess | 439 comments could it possibly be this? http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1992...
It's a short story from the New Yorker by George Saunders

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2004 comments I think this is definitely "Hearts in Eyes Do Not Shine" (originally published in Asimovs in 1983) - here's a list of places it's been collected http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
Shannon hasn't been active since Feb 2009.