Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > The Guardian Series is not all that, is it?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments Riley Jenson the Guardian Series by Keri Arthur was highly recommended to me, and highly rated. I've read the whole series, hoping it was going to get better, but I really wouldn't recommend it to many people.

On the 3rd book, she was running around naked the WHOLE TIME. Really? I understood the whole werewolf culture and that really come accross well, Keri did an awesome job at that. But having sex with another guy in front of your soul mate just to prove a point, how hurtful was that? She's supposed to be the heroine and she just kept hurting Quinn over and over, no wonder he was playing around with her mind.

I don't mind my romance, like The Succubi Diaries, it's way up there in the erotic session, but sex on your wedding day in front of your own brother? I can't get my head around it. It just ruined what would've been the best scene of series.

Is this way over the top on exhibitionism, or is it just me?

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 566 comments I don't think Quinn is her soulmate, although she does love him.

message 3: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments I don't think she hurt Quinn on purpose, she was upfront with him , telling him that she wanted her soul mate, and everything that went with that, Quinn made the choice to deal with with that and stay apart of Riley's life in whatever way he could.
Riley is who she is, and she does not hide it, she embraces it. I really think you have to take it it for what it is. I did enjoy this series, it is not my all time favorite, but it was worth the read.

message 4: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments I agree. Riley made it very very clear what her culture was and that she could not and would not give it up until she found her soul mate. She wanted a family, children, and she couldn't have that with a vampire. She wanted Quinn, but she also wanted him to know that it could not be completely monogamous even though she was willing to compromise.

message 5: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments Isn't Quinn her vampire soul's soul mate? I understand on why she didn't want to commit,but I hated the scene where she's with Kade and she sees Quinn.
And what are your thougths on the moon ceremony?

message 6: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments I am not sure if Quinn beleives in soul mates but I do think that they just truly love each other and want to be with each other, which unlike Kye who was her soul mate and yes she was drawn to him for that reason but she fought it,because this was not the person she truly wants
The scene with Kade and Riley and she sees Quinn,killed me I have to agree I did not like that at all, but I give props to Keri Arthur because as a writter she wants to envoke feelings of anger, confusion lust, ect. and she succeeded with that little scene.
As for the moon ceremony, I understand what you are saying, how weird to have sex infront of your brother and his lover? But then I just thought , they are wolves, sex, nuity and all that goes with it is just nothing to them, it is like sitting down and watching a movie with your brother just no big deal.

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (lady2themax) | 109 comments Deanne wrote: "I am not sure if Quinn beleives in soul mates but I do think that they just truly love each other and want to be with each other, which unlike Kye who was her soul mate and yes she was drawn to him..."

Hi, I'm new in this thread but all of your comments have me really curious about these books. So the characters are werewolves? Is Quinn a vampire? Could someone please post a small synopsis of this story? This Riley character does sound immature. Is Kade who she is marrying? But she loves Quinn?

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 566 comments Riley is a damphire (half werewolf/half vampire) twin. During the full moon, werewolves that do not have a werewolf soulmate must have a lot of sex or they go a lot crazy. Riley meets Quinn (a vampire) who wants her but wants her to only be with him. She's still waiting for her soul mate and while she wants to be with Quinn now, that doesn't mean she wants to let that dream die. Kade is a horse shifter who she has fun with who also has a herd of horse shifter ladies himself. I like the series myself.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
To carry the description a little further. The twins (faternal, male/female) are half vampire (hence the dampyr designation) and half were-wolf. Riley is much more were. Her brother is much more vamp--he HAS to have blood to survive where Riley doesn't. Her brother is also sterile because of the vampire genes being dominate.

Yes, Riley loves Quinn. But in her world, he can't give her what she HAS to have as a were-wolf.

In fact in one of the books, she talks about how she and her brother were conceived. Basically her mother (who was the were parent) was away from home when the full moon fever hit. She ran into their father as he was rising from his grave for the very first time. Riley says that her mother raped the male vampire and, eventually in the moon madness ripped him to pieces. However, she also says that because of the meeting with her father and the sex that came from that (even tho it was clearly not quite enough) it kept her mother from going crazy and killing everyone in the small town where she was on that day. Which is appearantly what happens if the moon madness is NOT met. I got the idea from that passage that that was the one time when a were-wolf had NO control and could go insane and do the killing and damage that we view normal for were-wolves.

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ok, sorry, hubby hit my key to send the previous post before I'd quite finished.

Other than during Moon Madness when the were's have no control, the only other time that a were would act in what we perceive to be more "normal" ways from movies and books is if the person who is the were is inheirantly evil. (See the new leader of the pack that Riley and her brother were born into and their followers.)

So far Keri has not said anything about vampiric soul mates. But I have wondered about that too Rafaela. It might explain some of what Quinn feels. SPOILR ALERT, SPOILER ALERT

And, since Riley DID survive the death of her wolf soul mate (killing the sucker herself) it WOULD explain that right? Since the only other were-wolf surviver of a broken soul-mate bond that Riley knows (which shows how rare it is) was her bartender friend.

I also wondered if that dicotomy might explain WHY Riley was able to kill him, something that her culture (and that even that A.H. Kai) seemed to think impossible.

If you have TWO soul mates--all be it of different species--then one of them could provide the mental/emotion/physical support that would allow you to survive not only the death, but allow you to kill him.

Sigh, ok, ok, as we can all tell--I am somewhat OCD and spend a LOT of time trying to understand the characters that I enjoy reading about.

message 11: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (lady2themax) | 109 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, sorry, hubby hit my key to send the previous post before I'd quite finished.

Other than during Moon Madness when the were's have no control, the only other time that a were would act in what..."

So Quinn loves her and she loves him. Do they have any "romance" together or is she totally committed to finding a were for a mate? so she killed her werewolf soulmate? Wow. Thank you for the info. This sounds really good so far....

message 12: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 566 comments Further along in the books, their relationship matures and they both appreciate each other more.

message 13: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments In all it's an good series. I guess I just wasn't so open minded about the werewolf culture and found hard to get through a few scenes.

message 14: by Pearl Reads (new)

Pearl Reads (pearl24) Hi Im new to the group/this whole site.
I actually liked this series. I loved Quinn through out the whole series yet I always wanted her to meet her soul mate. Ofcourse Riley ends up killing the guy herslef. I also loved Kades personality (just thought he was funny lots of the time) which is why i cried a lot in the last book. Still cant believe the series has come to an end; But I am glad that she committed herself to Quinn in the end (even though the thought of have sex infront of my brother grosses me out).

message 15: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 248 comments yeah I read the whole thing to.. wasn't my fav series, but gave me a bit of a thrill when she mentioned places in my hometown (Melbourne Australia) we dont get alot of popular PNRs based here is AUS.

the sex in front of her brother was .. well.. rather eww. so i kinda imagined that he was like way WAY away from the ceromony and coouldn't see or hear anythng to get around that lol

message 16: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (lady2themax) | 109 comments Pearl wrote: "Hi Im new to the group/this whole site.
I actually liked this series. I loved Quinn through out the whole series yet I always wanted her to meet her soul mate. Ofcourse Riley ends up killing the ..."

Does she marry Quinn?

message 17: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments Marilyn wrote: "Pearl wrote: "Hi Im new to the group/this whole site.
I actually liked this series. I loved Quinn through out the whole series yet I always wanted her to meet her soul mate. Ofcourse Riley ends up..."

I'd hate to spoil it for you, but Riley's and Quinn's relationship doesn't really get very serious until the last 2 books. She marries him in the very last one.

message 18: by Marilyn (last edited Jun 26, 2010 07:21AM) (new)

Marilyn (lady2themax) | 109 comments Rafaela wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "Pearl wrote: "Hi Im new to the group/this whole site.
I actually liked this series. I loved Quinn through out the whole series yet I always wanted her to meet her soul mate. Ofcour..."

Oh don't worry about "spoiling" me! I won't even go near a book unless I pretty much know everything about it. I hate to waste my time on something that doesn't interest me. Also, is the last book out or is it coming out soon? btw, how many books are there? 5?

message 19: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (lady2themax) | 109 comments Pearl wrote: "Hi Im new to the group/this whole site.
I actually liked this series. I loved Quinn through out the whole series yet I always wanted her to meet her soul mate. Ofcourse Riley ends up killing the ..."

I'm taking it that the sex in front of the brother is a ceremonial pack thing? I imagine if it were her brother getting married that he would have to do the same?

message 20: by Pearl Reads (new)

Pearl Reads (pearl24) Rafaela is right, Quinn and Riley dont get really serious till the last few books. And yes the "sex infront of the brother thing" is a ceremonial pack thing, so her brother would have done the same also. Over all I think the last two books are the most emotional. I enjoyed the whole series but the last two had me "jaw dropped". There are 9 books total and the last one has already been released.

message 21: by Deon (new)

Deon | 8 comments this series was recommened to me about 2 weeks ago. So I really all 9 in five days.
Now I didn't love them. Once I reached book 5, I felt the series should of already ended. But, I finished it up because I wanted to get it out the way.

One thing I was hoping the author would explain more of is, where is Talon. Yes I knew he gone all bad and all. and never reappeared. I just wanted to at least know what he is up to, or did I miss that part.

In terms of the sex, I got old after book 2. I was glad that she toned some of it down.
This is not really a series I would recommend unless someone needed to read while in between series.

I thought that the sex in front of the brother was gross as well. Yuck.

message 22: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

It wasn't any more gross than some of the things other writers have done. Think Harris and the battles between were's where they rip up their opponent/enemy then the whole pack indulges in group sex.

Or LKH's when the Pack EATS the defeated Alpha and his mate.

I think that they write these things as a reminder to us that the hero/heroine are NOT human, even if they do "play one on TV" as it were.

message 23: by Jayded (new)

Jayded I actually have either the last book or next to last book in this series and haven't been able to bring myself to read it. knowing that it is close to the end of the series and they get married helps and I will be able to actually put that on my TBR list.

message 24: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 23 comments pretty sure because of how the werewolve are - having sex a lot and in public - her brother has seen her have sex before and probably in a much raunchier way, in fact I kind of remember a scene where she walks into a club and sees him with a guy other than Liander and she doesn't even blink except for she feels bad for Liander. I like the series because it is full of action and plot twists but I think it has really run it's course after moon sworn and I hope she doesn't ruin it by pushing out a few more books.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Keri Arthur (other topics)