Q&A with Alison Oburia discussion

Plot Development that Avoids Predictability

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison Oburia (AlisonOburia) | 6 comments Mod
One of the underlying themes to my next book is my desire to keep readers guessing. I love when an author can lead me to believe one thing and then WHAM! Plot twist! And suddenly a character's motives have changed or I realize what I thought I understood three chapters back was an illusion.

What makes a plot twist effective? Are you an author who has struggled with trying to avoid readers guessing your story's ending by page 22? Share your thoughts about this.

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Elson (nicki_elson) | 1 comments This is SUCH a tricky thing. The best twists are when you can look back and put together the clues to see that the conclusion makes perfect sense. But how do you lay out all these clues without giving the ending away?

Red Herrings are always a good way to go. But my dilemma when writing a romance where I wanted to keep the readers guessing who the main character would end up with became that one of the guys---one she doesn't end up with---was too likable. So then my struggle became making sure that readers would be happy with the one she chooses...without completely giving it away that it would be him. I did it by highlighting some of the one's less-than-pleasant characteristics while demonstrating the other's better compatibility with our heroine in a show-don't-tell kind of way, and I'd say I was semi-successful in keeping it a surprise. Some readers claim to have known all along, while others tell me they were getting nervous at the end.

Gotta run now, but I'm looking forward to getting some good advice here on handling plot twists. :)

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison Oburia (AlisonOburia) | 6 comments Mod
Determining who's going to couple up is hard to keep secret. If you portray too many good prospects, then that means someone's going to get hurt/disappointed.

The third book I'm writing I hope to turn into a trilogy. It's got 4 main characters: a teen, a woman, and two men. The three adults will be in a love triangle that, if I write it the way I want to, will have readers cheering for both guys for different reasons. Things will only be partially resolved at the end of the first book -- and will get even trickier in the second. I'd love to give more away but {wink} I'm not gonna!