Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--Discussion format and other details

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Jun 23, 2010 04:35PM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

I didn't see any big objections in the other thread, so here's what we're going to do for the Wars of Light and Shadow discussion:

Rather than covering one book per month, we'll read 3 chapter sets per week. A chapter set, in this series, actually consists of a main chapter, 2 shorter sub-chapters, and a one page triplet. (If that sounds confusing, just take a look at the books and it'll make perfect sense.) E.g. in book 1, The Curse of the Mistwraith, that means we'll read/discuss I. Captive, II. Sentence and III. Exile in the first week. That comes to about 100 pages in my mass market paperback edition.

At the same time, we will set up a topic (or maybe multiple topics) for people who have read ahead and want to discuss the entire book, including spoilers. We'll also set up a topic (or maybe several) for people who have read the entire series so far and want to discuss it, including spoilers. This way, we hope as many people as possible will be able to participate: fast first time readers, slower first time readers, and re-readers.

We ask that you're careful with spoilers in the non-spoiler threads, because we'll probably have as many new readers as re-readers (if not more). Janny and I will monitor the topics and delete inappropriate spoilers as needed, but to save everyone some time, please make sure you post in the right topic.

If we decide 3 chapter sets is too much, or not enough, based on what we hear from you, we can change to more or less text per week, as we go along. But for now, 3 it is, which means we can cover the first book in about 6 weeks.

To give everyone sufficient time to find the book(s), we'll start with the first 3 chapters in about 4 weeks, on July 15th. So, if you don't have book 1 yet, now would be the time to order it! (And, for those of you don't have it yet, I'm about to set up a separate topic with a very exciting announcement...)

Janny will be here for the duration of the discussion and will actually post most of the topics for discussion. What a treat! If you have friends or other Goodreads members who would enjoy participating, please let them know about the discussion.

I'll leave this topic open so we can talk about tweaking the discussion format and other "technical" details as needed, but let's save the actual book discussion until we get started in a few weeks.

Stand by for giveaway announcement...

Stefan

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine | 610 comments Since I've never read any of Janny's work, I'm lookking forward to this discussion. I did just get Daughter of the Empire from the library yesterday and have to decide whether or not to start it (after I finish Grass) or simply move on to The Curse of the Mistwraith.

message 3: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I picked up Curse of the Mistwraith from the library today since they had a copy in. They seem to have plenty, so hopefully I'll just be able to renew it until the end of the discussion.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Hmm guess I am going to have to get the first book.

As an FYI, I am not inclined to read a couple chapters a week, I am very linear with Books, one at a time, So I will probablly read the book all at once and play catch up on the thread.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments Christine - Curse of the Mistwraith! Curse of the Mistwraith! Curse of the Mistwraith! ::smile::

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Looks like some very intelligent readers are lining up for this discussion -- read deeply, friends!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 610 comments Jeff, I see that you have an opinion on these two books; I just finished Grassat an agility trial and started on Daughter of the Empire today. The library didn't have a copy of The Curse of the Mistwraith immediately available. That said, I'm now rethinking my decision and may abandon The Curse of the Mistwraith for Deception: An Alex Delaware Novel which I've DL'd onto my Sony reader. I'm guessing The Curse of the Mistwraith will soon ba available from the library and I can then start it. I also have Factoring Humanity on my shelf to read

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Yay!

message 9: by orannia (new)

orannia I've read all but the latest book in the series, but decided this would be the perfect opportunity to re-read the series. I'm so looking forward to it!

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3243 comments Mod
Finished the first 3 chapter sets last night, so I'm ready. Unfortunately, I'm going on vacation and won't participate much in the first week or two, but I can always add my comments when I return.

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments The Beyond Reality discussion for the Wars of Light and Shadows in depth read will begin tomorrow (July 15th) - I will open the first thread in the morning, US/Eastern standard time. That will generally be the the timing of my pass through to answer the threads.

If you are still on the fence, here is a link to an excerpt from The Curse of the Mistwraith. Note: because the story has such a wide range, a single excerpt was very tough to choose. This one holds hints to a few of the themes.

http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/web...

The first week will cover the Prologue, and chapter sets I to III. (The format of the chapter sets will become apparent once you have the book. There is a table of Contents that shows page numbers for the start of each set).

If you are just starting, add to the fun if you like by noting your favorite line.

Also for fun, (since the pace of the in depth read will support this) at the end of each book, there will be a trivia contest (with prize: a laminated book mark to match your edition). Contestants may enter from any area of the world that has a postal service. The set up will be as follows: I will post 3 questions from the volume just completed - the first poster to answer all 3 correctly will be the acknowledged winner, who will then message me with a name and contact address where the prize should be sent.

Let the fun begin - (and if you are down under and on the other side of the International Date Line - it will be a day late. Sorry - I do burn the midnight oil here at the desk, but trying to keep the calendar straight where I live is immensely challenging when I spend so much time (as it is) in an imaginative world.

A special welcome to Athera for Beyond Reality, and come join the adventure.

message 12: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Folks, just so you know, I've told Janny to feel free to go as in-depth as she likes in this discussion. It has a dedicated folder, so I figure that any members who have no interest can easily avoid it, and this way both the new readers and the established fans who may be rereading along can really sink their teeth into this discussion. It's such a rare treat to be able to (re-)read a whole series with the author present. So, there may be more topics than you usually see in our Book of the Month discussions, but if (like me) you've participated in book discussions with Janny before, you know that it can really add depth and detail to the reading experience. Enjoy!

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Just my input based on what I've gathered from the discussion so far.. It seems like a majority of people are either reading ahead, or are trying hard to pace themselves with the three chapter sets per week discussion format. Since it's been said we can increase or decrease that based on how it turns out, I'm just wondering if we might want to put it to a vote to maybe increase it a little. Just putting it out there really, if everyone wants to stay with three per week I'm definitely fine with that, but I just thought I'd make the suggestion and see what everyone else thought.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Personally, I like the slower pace. This is a re-read for me and I this gives me an opportunity to squeeze in a subchapter between my other reads.

message 15: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Three is working nicely for me. I can read this in depth and still fit in some other reading. If I went faster, I'm afraid I'd read nothing but this series all year and I'd like to read some other stuff as well. Also, if I do get behind, I'm more likely to be able to catch up.

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 137 comments I'm with you Kerry.
Please no faster, I'm just keeping my head above water as it is. I would hate to fall behind and maybe not continue reading, as this series looks as if I might enjoy it greatly and be a complete departure from my usual reads.

I'm taking Janny to India with me now, for a couple of days, just to keep up with you all.

message 17: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2275 comments Mod
I'm going to go ahead and let myself keep reading, but I have no problem with the slower pace for the group - I think what I'll do is stop and jot down some notes after each three chapters so I can post them when the time comes with what I was thinking at that point.

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Shel wrote: "I think what I'll do is stop and jot down some notes after each three chapters"

That's exactly what I've been doing on my re-read, only I use the status updates (with spoiler warnings) here so they are easy to find.

message 19: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments The point of doing the slower, in depth read was to mine much of the richness - because the first 'take' read often overlooks quite a lot of the depth and angle set into the scenes.

There will be a RELIEF TOPIC set up for people running on ahead - but this will create LOTS of threads in this folder - people, you are aware to click the 'more topics' cue on the right of the folder name to find threads that have revolved out of view?

I EXPECT readers to push ahead, there are areas that are so intense you'd nearly be inhuman not to - so don't hold back, read and see what happens. Then book mark the pages for the indepth read, because guaranteed, when you relook at this earlier incident from an advanced perspective, you will see things you missed and a whole other layer of the early scenes will open up to you. I realize this may sound frustrating or silly - ask an older reader. If you are moving slowly, you will have an enriched experience, and if you are re-examining in a re-read, you will have a vastly enriched experience.

DO MARK YOUR SPOILERS (that way folks are warned) and DO uncheck the status update box so your friends don't inadvertently see a spoiler.

message 20: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Shel wrote: "I'm going to go ahead and let myself keep reading, but I have no problem with the slower pace for the group - I think what I'll do is stop and jot down some notes after each three chapters so I can..."

Shel - that is a brilliant idea.

message 21: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I would appreciate the group's input on this:

How do you want to handle the massive thread problem for the spoiler relief: do you want a thread spoiler for EACH VOLUME - or ONE Spoiler Relief thread "Hot takes" as it were, for you to vent your explosions - and each time MARK your post for SPOILER - VOLUME NUMBER - so people can orient what to read and not?

I'd like not to choke up this place with massive thread counts - so how would you like this handled?

message 22: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Richard wrote: "I'm with you Kerry.
Please no faster, I'm just keeping my head above water as it is. I would hate to fall behind and maybe not continue reading, as this series looks as if I might enjoy it greatly ..."

Richard - safe trip.
For you, or for anyone - there is no 'falling behind' - I will monitor all the threads throughout the entire discussion. So late comers can join in, and if life intervenes, you'll not be left out, rest assured.

message 23: by orannia (new)

orannia I'm with all of those who are currently happy with the status quo (three chapters per week format). Normally I read is a rush, always worried about the size of my TBR pile, etc. This way I can read and savour the chapters, pick up the nuances that I am sure I missed the first time I read the book...when it was first published :)

But I like too that, for those who want to read faster, there is also that option :)

message 24: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Janny wrote: "I would appreciate the group's input on this:

How do you want to handle the massive thread problem for the spoiler relief: do you want a thread spoiler for EACH VOLUME - or ONE Spoiler Relief thre..."

I think a spoiler thread for each volume would be best... I often have a hard time skipping over posts marked "spoiler" just because I read so fast that I'll sometimes inadvertently spoil something for myself even if it's clearly marked. I'd be ok with one thread, though, if people promise to put lots of space (like, 5 or 6 blank lines) between the word "spoiler" and the post itself...

message 25: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I think I agree with Shel that a post per book might be safest.

I'd be ok with one thread, though, if people promise to put lots of space (like, 5 or 6 blank lines) between the word "spoiler" and the post itself...

I think this is risky. People have good intentions and will mean to put in the spoiler space, but when you've got something you just *have* to share right now, it's easy to forget.

Just my thoughts of course.

message 26: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I am taking all suggestions into account.

Note: the unveilings in this series are often so dramatic that sometimes it is VERY HARD for readers to recall what volume the particular denouement occurs in - in the heat of the excited moment, they sometimes drop references that shake things up beforetime. Particularly! with Stormed Fortress, where virtually every scene realigns everything else.

How do you feel about this?
I can warn a poster to edit their content, but if they don't do it fast enough - I can't cover their tracks.

But it would be superhuman to expect everyone to toe the pace - and the excitement of such scenes does dim, if the reader who just encountered them is forced to wait.

I lean toward: one thread per book AND (?) and thread for readers who've finished the entire series - so that, if they have Any question about where a bit pops up, or don't have the book at hand to check - they can freely post and not worry. New readers would then stay out of that topic until finished.

What do you think: one spoil thread per volume and one spoil thread for the series entire?

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Janny wrote: "I am taking all suggestions into account.

Note: the unveilings in this series are often so dramatic that sometimes it is VERY HARD for readers to recall what volume the particular denouement occur..."

That sounds like a good plan to me.

message 28: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I think one spoiler thread per volume, and one for the entire series, would be great. Clearly marked, obviously, so people don't accidentally wander into them.
Three chapters per week still sounds okay to me, and it sounds like most members like it, so I think we'll stick with that. People who want to read faster can get into the threads for the entire books, and people who are slower can catch up, because all the threads will stay up.
I'm not sure if we need both a spoiler and non-spoiler thread for each 3 chapter set - I think with a smaller amount of material (compared to an entire novel) most people will simply wait until they can get to the spoiler thread. So personally I wouldn't mind dropping the weekly non-spoiler threads, but that's just me - it's up to what the readers and Janny prefer.
I'm planning to get to Peril's Gate later this month, so I'm hoping to jump into the discussion too, at some point.

message 29: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Stefan wrote: "I'm not sure if we need both a spoiler and non-spoiler thread for each 3 chapter set - I think with a smaller amount of material (compared to an entire novel) most people will simply wait until they can get to the spoiler thread. So personally I wouldn't mind dropping the weekly non-spoiler threads..."

This makes sense to me.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Some of you who have read the whole series might enjoy browsing and commenting in Janny's Chat area on her website. Here's the link.

http://www.paravia.com/cgi/discus/sho...

I've been posting and reading and it's really quite fascinating. She has some truly tantalizing sneak peaks of the new book coming out soon, Initiate's Trial. Of course, now I'm DYING to read it.

message 31: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Sandra AKA Sleo wrote: "Some of you who have read the whole series might enjoy browsing and commenting in Janny's Chat area on her website. Here's the link.

http://www.paravia.com/cgi/discus/sho...

I've bee..."

WARNING: do NOT visit the Paravia chat until you have read all the books; spoilers ought to be marked, but those readers have been with these books since the start, and they tend to look at all of the story as one contiguous read. So spoilers abound in plenty, and the FAQ, which is my answer to questions readers have e mailed all along the way - the compilation there has TONS of spoiler material too. Though when you have read up to the current release, you'll find lots to chew on, and a few elaborations of points that may be illuminating, you don't want to spoil the surprises with an advance tip off.

Note, too, when the new release comes out: the Paravia Chat Admin (known as the Grypon) is ruthlessly vigilant about spoilers - so only the thread for the new book will cover new material, and all posts will be marked SPOILER in big letters.

message 32: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I will implement the spoiler threads for Curse of the Mistwraith and War of Light and Shadows, Entire today.

If you use these threads, DO UNCHECK your update feed box, and DO mark them SPOILERS anyhow, the avoidance of slips will be greatly appreciated.

And comment here freely if you have more suggestions or feel something isn't working, we are still in the tinker stage with this. Don't hide if you feel there is a bug.

message 33: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I don't know quite where to post this, so I'm going to put it here.

Janny, look what you made me do!

:)

message 34: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kerry wrote: "I don't know quite where to post this, so I'm going to put it here.

Janny, look what you made me do!

:)"

Wow, Kerry - very beautiful! A lot of thought went into that. Rest assured the discussion will support you all the way through - you may ask at any moment if you need a detail restated to keep you on course. Some people find it can take up to 5 chapters to become accustomed to the style and the pacing - so don't worry, it gets easier as you go. Just let it flow, because all of the questions you don't know, now, will be answered.

It calls to mind the enjoyable little phone calls from my mother, "What's this, (from the story) I don't understand it." And nearly invariably, the answer was, "Mom, that's explained on the next page/next chapter/just keep reading."

It helps to trust the book will take you there. Some books won't, yes, but this series has been around long enough, let the other readers' experiences reassure you.

message 35: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Are we going to move straight into The Ships of Merior when we finish The Curse of the Mistwraith or are we going to take a moment to discuss the book as a whole? I don't mind either way, I'm just wondering if it has been decided.

message 36: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess we can just move on to The Ships of Merior? After all the thread(s) for discussion of The Curse of the Mistwraith will remain open for anyone who wants to keep going.

message 37: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kerry - I'd expect we'd move straight in to Ships - there's a 'full book discussion' thread up already, and once the last 3 chapters are posted, that section would look at the finale as well.

It could get quite difficult for some readers to stay in step toward the end, as the pace accelerates.

People will start to get the pacing as the discussions go on - that all the books truly 'turn' into new territory at the half point - that the 'apparent' conclusion won't be at the end, but in the middle, and that 'twist/tipping point' is where the series truly comes into its own, and the unpredictability hits full bore.

If other have input here, do post and say so.

message 38: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Quick question - given that the number of chapters in Ships doesn't divide neatly into three, do we have a plan of how we're going to break this up for the weekly discussions?

I'm loving this slow pace as it lets me digest the book (and play with the post-it notes) and not get overwhelmed by it all.

message 39: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I think we'll keep to the three chapter sets; and group the last two as the finale section. A lot shifts in that last two sets, so I think that will work.

Warhost afterwards splits into an even multiple of 3.

That works for me, anybody else have any other suggestions?

What worked and didn't? The Ships of Merior begins next week, and as discussed, we will open with the first three chapter sets, spoiler, and also, a 'first impressions' non spoiler ONLY for the opening salvo.

I will be at DragonCon during one week - so rest assured, the discussion will go on time, I will catch up the posts as I can on the road, or, do it when I return. I will let you know when that set goes up - so it's plain my daily sweep may stutter a bit for that one section.

Meantime, if you live in Atlanta Georgia - it's a live appearance.

message 40: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I'm only throwing this out as a personal comment, so feel free to disregard.

The topic for the first three chapters of Warhost has just gone up and I haven't even managed to start the book yet. These books are wonderful, but they're still quite a bit of work for me and I've just had to have a break and read something else (which is taking me much longer than I expected as well).

Since Warhost works out as only 3 (long) groups of 3 chapter sets, would it be possible to take the fourth week for Warhost as well, extending the reading time for the book to a month like we usually have and letting me (and anyone else like me if they're out there) a chance to catch up.

No problems if this doesn't suit anyone else. It's just a suggestion and if no-one else feels the same way, I'll try to catch up anyway as I don't want to get too far behind.

message 41: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kerry wrote: "I'm only throwing this out as a personal comment, so feel free to disregard.

The topic for the first three chapters of Warhost has just gone up and I haven't even managed to start the book yet. ..."

Kerry - I have no objection to a week's break after Warhost - which is the end of an arc, anyway...if Stefan agrees - or no other readers object - let's see who else chimes in.

message 42: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I have absolutely no problem with this. Whatever works out for Janny and the readers is fine with me.

message 43: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I think that sounds like a good idea. I've just heard from Amazon that my copy is on its way in the mail so I should be able to start it soon...

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Oh, I LOVED Warhost. It's absolutely awesome.

message 45: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Going flow seems to be, take the week break after Warhost - I'm fine with this. Do feel free, as Kerry did, to post feedback on the discussions here. Also - NO worries if you read other books and play catch up - all the threads will be there, you can add to an earlier discussion at any time.

message 46: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3243 comments Mod
Well, I think this is a great idea, but since I've barely started Ships of Merior, even a week probably won't help. I'm just following the discussion as I get to it.

message 47: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments It was asked in another topic (by one reader) whether there would be a break or pause in the reading schedule for the series to allow for the holidays.

Please post your thoughts on the matter - Stefan? and anyone else. I am open to whatever suits the group best.

message 48: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

It's really up to Janny and the participants. We've never paused a discussion for any holiday - not everyone celebrates the same ones, and some people actually have more time to read during days off. Plus, the threads remain up so people can catch up easily. However, if Janny or any of the participants want to take a break, I have no problem with it.

message 49: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Doesn't matter to me - I am falling behind a bit either way since I'm taking a break to catch up on some of the other books that have been building up while I've been lingering in Athera :) I do have Grand Conspiracy on the way in the mail, so I'll get to it eventually!

message 50: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments This week is actually my 'worst' week in December ... and yet I'm starting Grand Conspiracy today. The holidays are when I usually get quite a bit of reading done, because I normally take off the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. However, due to other life events (i.e., my son graduating from college this Saturday), I won't have enough vacation days left to take off those last days of the year.

Doesn't mean I won't get more reading done though. Not much going on at work this late in the year. :)

« previous 1