What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Flux (Maps in a Mirror #2)
This topic is about Flux
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. scifi novel: multiple death sentences [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cb (new)

Cb | 6 comments All I remember is that the main character was a man who was sentenced to die in every way possible. I know its not much info, but help would be appreciated!

Jillian (jilliangs) | 48 comments Are you sure it was a novel? I remember reading a short story that sounds similar -- a man is executed in the first scene, then brought back to life using advanced technology so that he can be killed all over again. This continues numerous times with numerous means of execution, and seems to be the normal mode of both interrogation and punishment in his society. It's written from the perspective of the man being repeatedly executed, and I believe it's a fairly short piece. Unfortunately I don't remember the author and title, but if this sounds right I'll see if I can hunt it down in my short story collections.

message 3: by Cb (new)

Cb | 6 comments I could be wrong, because those other details you mention sound right! Thanks for looking!

message 4: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Maybe Orson Scott Card's short story, A Thousand Deaths?

Jillian (jilliangs) | 48 comments Yes, Rivka! I just found it again in my copy of Flux but it seems to be available in other collections as well. Thanks for solving my mystery -- I hope we've solved Cb's as well!

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Flux is a reprint of part of Maps in a Mirror (which is where I first read it), and the story is in Capitol as well.

Jillian (jilliangs) | 48 comments As a side note, I also remembered the Communist-future-trial that occurs at the beginning, but I remembered it as a separate story. Silly memory. Now it all makes sense.

message 8: by Cb (new)

Cb | 6 comments This is totally it! Thanks guys:D!

message 9: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Jillian, I think more than one of the Capitol/Worthing Saga stories may have featured such trials.

Cb, cool! :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flux (other topics)