J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Small Talk (Doesn't have to be Book Related)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Here you can discuss anything, even things that not book related. The weather, your love of bookstores, etc.

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments I agree Shazzy. I belong to the Borders Club, and they're always sending me coupons. The only way for me to curb my obsession is to stay away from the store. But once I'm relatively close, I'm a goner. My biggest problem is the library. I go in there regularly to borrow books, but end up going to the sale shelf and walking out with at least 4.

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I have the same problem. At first I told myself that I was only going to buy books that I absolutely LOVED (don't have much storage space), then I started reading the 'In Death' books and knew I had to have them all, lol. So I've been slowly buying those in hardcover and now I've been turned on to the Audiobooks as well, & you know I've got to have those too. I'm just not going to have any $ because it's all being spent on books!

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Wow, that sounds so familiar, about buying only the ones I loved, and only if they were in decent condition. But I keep finding ones at the library that I want to read, and they are so cheap, I can't help buying them. Now I have shelves of books I am going to read, but they still keep sitting there, because I'm finding other books I want to read first and I'm checking most of those out at the library. Still I'm having fun. I guess I'll just have to clear out some more stuff so I have more room and I can get the books up off the floor.

message 5: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Well,

I'm on vacation in Southern California. It's still pretty warm down here, but not as hot as where I live. We are visiting my husband's relatives and I really enjoy their company. We're going to Disneyland as a family next Monday and my 17 year old daughter and I are going alone on Tuesday. We need some mother-daughter bonding and we both like to do Disneyland the same way - we pretty much run around like Monkey's with total abandon until we get tired or hungry. My husband is more methodical. That style has it's advantages as well, but I can get frustrated because I want to run around like a teenager. So now I can enjoy the family day more because I know I get to run around the next day doing whatever I want. We were going to go to Catalina, but it's just too expensive.

I'm taking my daughter to the mall tomorrow and my father-in-law's birthday party is this weekend. And through it all, I still get to have my veg days and my father-in-law is a gourmet cook, so I'm pretty much in heaven.

Hopefully I will be able to keep up with the site. I'm still trying to figure out a way to do a trivia game, but really am not sure how to proceed. Maybe I'll just dive right in and see what happens.

message 6: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Sounds wonderful Vanessa! Enjoy your vacation and bonding time with your daughter and just know that I am SO envious, lol!

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Having a great time! Isn't that what they say on postcards that I never send? Anyway, thanks Alyssa. I'm envious of anyone going on vacation, so I can wholeheartedly relate.

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Well,

I got back from vacation and we had a great time! My 17 year old daughter and I had a day at Disneyland to ourselves and we got there early enough to get on all the big rides before they got too crowded. Getting there early lets you work that fast pass system well. We hobbled over to California Adventure where she made me go on the Tower of Terror three times. Also fun in that part is the big wooden roller coaster near the back. It is not for the faint of heart, however. It is very fast, has one loop, and at the beginning it shoots down the track instead of taking you up the hill gently. I had to go on that one twice. And if you've never be on the "Soaring over California" ride, definitely get to that one. It's extraordinary and always crowded. Get the fast pass if you can.

We were going to go to Catalina, but the cost after Disneyland would have just been too much. We enjoyed lounging around the in-laws house and watching my nieces swim and cause general havoc, but they are such dolls.

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments This was the first week of back to school, and wow, what a hectic one. In between dealing with senior pictures, teaching my 17 year old to drive, and dealing with Dr. Appts and haircuts, I think I only managed to stay sane with my books and audio books. I have to take one of daughters to college and it's a 40 minute round trip (I'm spoiled living in a medium size town, I usually don't spend a lot of time driving,) and so the audio books have been my refuge on the trip back.

Does anyone have a back to school or teenager story? Let's hear from you. And to those who don't have children or are single, sometimes I envy you.. but not too often. Even with all the hustle and bustle, it's nice to be productive.

message 10: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Shazzy wrote: "My son goes back to school next week, he's an only child but it was pretty busy over the holidays! He's only 10 and he has a very busy social life! :)"

I hear ya!!

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Just wanted to stop in and say hello! Is everybody ready for Indulgence on 11/2/10? I know I'm sitting on go waiting, lol.

message 12: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Hey Alyssa,

I know I haven't been around much. I am so tired lately!! I think it has something to do with all the driving I've been doing these days. I also haven't had my HRT pills for a week and I'm sure that's not helping.

Anyway, I've already pre-ordered all three In Death books coming up. I think one is one of the short ones. But I'm really looking forward to all of them.

I think the new Harry Potter movie is due out in November as well. It's going to be busy month!!

My husband and I are going to get a new mp3 player for me tonight; mine died. I can't afford an iPod but I hope to get one better than the one I've had. Luckily we had the warranty guarantee on it. I couldn't even reformat the thing!!

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I know what you mean Vanessa about being tired, lol. I just can't get caught up on my sleep these days...too many books, so little time.

Did you get your new MP3 player? What kind did you get? I love new electronics, I guess you could say I'm a tech geek. I just got a Kindle and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!! Hope you're enjoying your new player and has lots of cool features for you. Some electronics are just not extravagances anymore, they are definite necessities, lol!

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Yes, I got my player, yeah! The woman at Best Buy really wanted me to buy an Ipod, and although salivating at the though, I just really couldn't afford it. I settled for the Sony E series. The sound is really excellent, and has a nice big screen, which I like. There are a few downsides. It does have a place for podcasts, but not for Audiobooks, which I find odd. I have to copy them to the albums, which is not a problem unless I am shuffling. Then when I'm listening to music, they'll sometimes come up. If I put it in the podcast area, it will stop after each chapter. Not a big glitch as I can work around it. The main glitch I find annoying is that you can't delete a song from the player itself, only on the computer. Not a major deal, but just weird.

Still, all in all a great player and it's great to be able to listen to my audios and music while I'm cleaning the house. Love it!!

Maybe I can get a Kindle for Christmas. I'm not really sure I want one, though. I like the feel of the book in my hand. Although I can definitely see the advantage of having a book on there that I eventually would not want to keep so that I can have some room in my house for the special books I want to collect.

Also, the portability of being able to hold more than one book at a time when I leave the house sounds great too. And the price has really come down!!

Okay, tech geek, why don't you tell me why you really like it. I need some incentive here.

message 15: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Why do I love the Kindle...let me count the many ways, lol!

1. It holds 3,500 books!!!! Pre-Kindle I carried around a LARGE Barnes & Noble bag to hold all of my books. I didn't want to run the risk of finishing a book and not having the next one with me. Now I just put my Kindle in my purse and go. I think my first weekend I loaded about 65 books on it :)

2. Storage space. I don't have a lot of space in my home to store all the original books that I love and want to keep. E-Books allow me to do that, I just store them on my computer and when I want to re-read I just load it on the Kindle.

3. Accesibility & cost. I used my public library as my main method of obtaining books. This was ok if you had a lot of patience (which I do not) & as long as the library had the books that I wanted (hardly ever ). The ease of obtaining books, through several different websites, for the Kindle is AMAZING! If I want a book I just download it, no more waiting weeks & weeks for a hold to be fulfilled at the library. The cost of books are anywhere from FREE to around $14.99 for new releases.

I could not be happier with my decision to purchase one. No it doesn't have the feel of a book, but at the end of the day, that really doesn't matter to me as long as I get to read the story :) Hope you get one for Christmas, then we can lend books to each other because yes that is a feature that Amazon is adding very soon for Kindle users.

message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Wow, thanks Alyssa. What a sales pitch; you're a crazy woman, LOL!!!

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments haha i actually like HOLDING the books myself..my mom has an ipad she uses for reading, and my grandma got a kindle for christmas and i tell ya, just not the same

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments I like holding the books as well, although I would like the Kindle at night while reading in bed. Sometimes it's not convenient to turn the pages. I haven't the need for a kindle yet, although my longing grows every day. I do have Amazon Kindle for the PC, though. I get the free books that way. I have to read from my laptop, but it's one step closer to the beloved Kindle that's starting to pervade my dreams.

message 19: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) The thing I like best about an actual book is the smell. I know that's weird but that's what I miss the most, lol. I actually went into a Books A Million yesterday and was hard pressed to find something to buy. Everything I saw that remotely interested me, I've already downloaded. That's one reason that the Kindle appeals to me so much though, storage space. I can buy book after book and not have to find a place to store it, SO convenient!

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments i love the smell too! i love how i walk into Borders and take a huge deep breath, and feel right at home :)

message 21: by Gina (last edited Jan 26, 2011 05:43PM) (new)

Gina | 20 comments Omg. I could literarly live in Boarders. I have a book case that is overflowing. Normally i tend to be super duper careful when spending my money (weird for a teenager) but when it comes to books it's like I get taken over by some sort of monster. I love buying books. My mom tells me to get them from the library but it's not the same thing.

Is anybody like me and prefer paperback to hardcover? I really don't like hardcover but it's better than waiting so i suck it up.

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Agreed hardcover is so much not as fun and comfy to hold as paperback!! And my mom tries to get me to go to the library too but I like to KEEP my books, you know? I have a floor to frolic bookshelf and it is almost full :)

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Floor to *ceiling

message 24: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I'm the opposite, I prefer HC to paperback. I'm a little OCD when it comes to the condition of my books and paperbacks are so easy to sustain wear & tear.

message 25: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Alyssa, I agree with you there. The good thing about paperbacks is that they don't take up as much room, but a good hardback stays nicer longer. It's really hard to read a paperback comfortably without bending the spine. I have both, though, and just deal.

As for Borders, ours is so nice and homey. I'm a member of their club, and so I get 10% of and they keep sending me coupons for 33%, and I am so tempted to buy a book every week. But I resist as long as I can; I don't always succeed.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments i am a member of the club, also!

and i like to bend my paperbacks' spine (i know I KNOW shame) but i cant help it! i like to bend my books while i am reading them..which is probably why i am such a big fan of paperbacks

message 27: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) BENDING THE SPINE.....Oh the horror, lol! That just makes me cringe, I can't even tell you. That is one reason I hate reading a paperback, especially a new one, because I won't open it enough to even possibly run the risk of bending the spine, so it makes reading it pretty tough. However, I have found that the new larger paperbacks are nicer and a little easier to keep. I even remove the dust jacket on my HC books while I'm reading so as not to bend or crease the edges while holding.

I wish we had a Borders, all we have here is a Barnes & Noble and it's alright but not Borders.

message 28: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments LOL Alyssa, I feel the same way about bending the spine, and God forbid, getting it wet while taking a bath, or sit on sand and...well, you get the idea. I buy them anyway and look at them and think, how pretty. Usually the ones I get, though, are ones I've read and collect such as my Nora Roberts books. As for J.D. Robb, I have most of the paperback so I can lend them to people, but since I have most of the audios, I never read them and I usually buy those used if I find them. A lot of my paperbacks are already used and in okay shape, so I can read them without the guilt.

message 29: by Gina (new)

Gina | 20 comments i love reading books while taking a bath, but it's so risky. The books once accidnely slipped and got all wet. I was so sad, that i didn't risk it ever again.

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments I know! I do that ( it was with a jd book, actually) bit it stayed mostly dry! Once I accidentally touched the water and turned the page.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments In Promises,page 321, there is an NCIS reference, almost :)

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Kindred, of 213, another one, in a way :D

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Kindred 305. Wow they're just everywhere all of a sudden

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Fantasy pg 302. Gibbs slap :)

message 35: by Cc (new)

Cc C What do you read while your waiting on a new JD RObb book?

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments everything.

message 37: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Elizabeth wrote: "everything."

Exactly!!!! Recently I've been reading alot of Lora Leigh, Tara Janzen, Pamela Clare-series that the male lead is a member of or enlisted with a military like organization.

message 38: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 21, 2011 09:23PM) (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Lately I have been reading the Abby Cooper private eye books- which SUCK by the way.

message 39: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 43 comments If you're looking for something to while away the time between ID books, may I be so immodest as to recommend one of my own? It's a mystery set in the future, featuring a lady detective with lots of attitude (obviously a change of pace) called Alien Murders...and it's only $1.99, so how can you go too far wrong? Anyway, since it's an ebook you can read a free sample of it to see whether it appeals to you. Thanks for considering it, at least.

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Cool

message 41: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I'll keep my eyes open Petra!

message 42: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Petra wrote: "Can anyone suggest any other series that is like In Death? A crime/mystery/thriller with elements of romance."

Petra, I can't think of any right now, but I'll let you know if I do. I have a couple other FBI series that I love, but they're more like stand-alone series and not really similar. Of course, is there anything similar to this series? It is unique in a lot of ways.

message 43: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Okay, is anyone ready to talk about the weather again. It has been raining practically non-stop in Northern CA. I don't think this area has had this much rain in one year in quite a long time. We started to have some spring weather, my daffodils came up, and then it got cold again. In the upper elevations it's snowing like crazy. I don't mind some rain, but this is getting ridiculous. We're supposed to have 50 miles per hour gusts tomorrow!

Oh and just as a side note, I know I sound like I'm complaining but I realize this is nothing to what Japan has been through, and I don't want to minimize that. I'm just making conversation and curious to find out what the rest of you are experiencing.

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments OMG same here Vanessa. it has been raining nonstop forEVER and i had a driving lesson on the one sunny day of the like, month. Luck, no?

and i feel extra super sad for the people in Japan because earlier this year i had two foreign exchange students stay with me for a week. Our school does a transfer thing, and wow good thing we didnt go this year, because i would have gone for sure! i feel bad for Yuki and Sho. They were my boys. But i was talking to another Yuki on facebook (not the one that stayed at my house) and he said that since they lived in Kyoto that they were not impacted by the earthquake. Not sure about the tsuenami (sp?) or volcano, though. actually he said, "TAHNK YOU [for asking]
I LIVE IN KYOTO ,NOT EARTHQUAKE^^"

i copy/pasted lol.

message 45: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael Petra wrote: "Can anyone suggest any other series that is like In Death? A crime/mystery/thriller with elements of romance."

You might try the "Bishop" trilogies by Kay Hooper. The main character, Bishop, is the head of a "paranormal" division of the FBI and he and the division are the link between the various trilogies.

They have somewhat the same "feel" as the In Death series, although a little darker tone and not as much humor. I liked them but didn't find myself giggling as I read them ... which I do with the In Death books.

message 46: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I tried that series but I just could not get into it. I may pick it back up at a later time but it just did not reach out & grab me.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Whatever you do don't read the Abby Cooper private eye series. the writing is terribly immature especially compared to the ID series

message 48: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments I like the Hooper series also. There are 4 trilogies, I believe in the Bishop Series. The first is the Shadow series, then the Evil Series, The Fear Series and the Blood series. They can read as stand-alones as well; the major characters are usually different. I would read them in order though as the there are repeating characters as well.

I also like the FBI series by Catherine Coulter. The first book in the Coulter series is The Cove.

message 49: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) The ones that I tried were the Blood series. I'll look into the Coulter series :)

message 50: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael Vanessa wrote: "I like the Hooper series also. There are 4 trilogies, I believe in the Bishop Series. The first is the Shadow series, then the Evil Series, The Fear Series and the Blood series. They can read as st..."

I liked the Coulter series as well ...

« previous 1