Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Have You Heard of This Book? WOW!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Stefano (CandyPanda) | 6 comments The Synthesis (Powerless, #1) by Jason Letts Don't you love it when you find a book that makes you want to talk about it with everyone? I just happened to hear about Powerless, and since picking it up I can't put it down. It's got a smart, naive female protagonist, plenty of chemistry between the characters, and a world full of discovery and amazement. If you like those things, you're simply going to love this book.

It's about a girl named Mira who finds out she's been living in a world where everyone has a magical gift...everyone except herself. Despite this huge disadvantage, she's got to find a way to fit in and compete against teens who can control gravity, manipulate emotions, sweat oil, all kinds of crazy stuff! It really reminds me of Hunger Games in that way.

Definitely check it out. It's an ebook and it's super cheap. Hope you find yourself loving it as much as I do!

http://www.powerlessbooks.com/ --a beautiful website, where you can sample the first chapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OQUOFI
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna I picked it up from Amazon, Rachel, since at 99 cents and your glowing review, I couldn't resist. I'll let you know when I read it what I thought of it, ok? (Don't know how quickly that will be, I'm getting too many books on my to-be-read list and I just joined this site less than a month ago!)

message 3: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Based on your review it sounds REALLY good! I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation! I know I love it when I come across a book that is so amazing it makes me want to share it with the world. :)

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna Do you mind if I horn in on your subject title, Rachel? There is a book I loved that no one else seems to have ever heard of. If anyone is at all interested in Native American culture, there is a great historical novel about the Lakoda Indians.
Hanta Yo by Ruth Beebe Hill
(For some reason it's not letting me post link or cover!)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Stefano (CandyPanda) | 6 comments Hopefully it works out for you both, Donna and Anastasia! And Donna, take another shot at linking to that book, or maybe just directly paste the address. It'd be great to hear about it. Happy Reading!

message 6: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Apparently the "add book/author" function is having problems right now. On the feedback forum they say they are working on it.

Thanks for sharing the info on these books Rachel and Donna.

Donna, Hanta Yo sounds very interesting, and I just found a copy on Paperback swap that I ordered.
Rachel, Powerless sounds interesting too. Hopefully the author will publish it in "real" book format someday. Currently it looks like it is only available in e-book.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna Good idea, Sheila. This has some reviews also.

http://www.amazon.com/Hanta-Yo-Ruth-B...

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Landers | 4 comments Rachel wrote: "The Synthesis (Powerless, #1) by Jason Letts Don't you love it when you find a book that makes you want to talk about it with everyone? I just happened to hear about Powerless, and since picking it up I can't..."

Hey Rachel , I have just finnished a book and it has really had a huge impact on me ! I keep quoting from it , talking about it and generally try shoving down people's throats every chance I get why am I related to the author nooooooo do I have a share in it noooooooooooo the only reason I continue to go on about it is because I love the writing and think everyone should know about it ! Slide, A Modern Satire on the Excess of Greed Enjoy :)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Stefano (CandyPanda) | 6 comments Thanks, Stephanie. I added it to my list. Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about then trying to get people into a great new work. Hopefully a lot more people drop in here with books they're excited about too!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Landers | 4 comments Yeah , I've put "Powerless" on my to read shelf because of your passionate recommendation! Well, congrats for a great topic opener have a great day :)

message 11: by Donna (last edited Jun 24, 2010 07:44AM) (new)

Donna Sheila, let me know what you thought about "HANTA YO" after (or when) you read it, ok? Like I said, I haven't found anyone I personally know that's read it!

Stephanie, I checked out "SLIDE" and put it on my to-read list. Sounds great. (I thought it was non-fiction at first because of the title. I'm only into escapism fiction!) Glad I clicked on your link!

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise Donna wrote: "There is a book I loved that no one else seems to have ever heard of. If anyone is at all interested in Native American culture, there is a great historical novel about the Lakoda Indians.
Hanta Yo by Ruth Beebe Hill .."

Believe it or not my library has 1 copy of this book so of course I put it on reserve.

message 13: by Donna (last edited Jun 28, 2010 04:57AM) (new)

Donna Denise, be forewarned, it is a THICK book, but I think you'll find it's an easy, interesting read.

Let's hope that there are not TOO many book recommendations under this topic ... I've put both books suggested so far on my lists! LOL Good topic title, Rachel!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Stefano (CandyPanda) | 6 comments Donna wrote: "Denise, be forewarned, it is a THICK book, but I think you'll find it's an easy, interesting read.

Let's hope that there are not TOO many book recommendations under this topic ... I've put both ..."

LOL no problem at all. The more great books people have to recommend the better!

message 15: by Julia (last edited Jun 30, 2010 02:25AM) (new)

Julia Lawson | 3 comments FANTASTIC NEW AUTHOR!!!! Great find!!
Anybody heard of this brand new novel;
VILLAGE OF SYCAMORE by MARIA RIHTE Village of Sycamore by Maria Rihte Maria Rihte

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Johnson | 3 comments Absolutely great book. Amazing debut. Great characters, nicely twisted plot - it keeps you on your toes and you just cannot put it down once you start reading it. While at work I found myself thinking about the people on that island and I was reading it while travelling in a crowded bus, wondering what people might think of me…because I almost burst out laughing. I miss that island already. One of those books that you are eager to finish and then when you do finish it, you are profoundly sad, because you just said goodbye to your dear friends. I just voted for it on Goodreads 2010 Choice Awards!!Village of Sycamore

message 17: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Julia and Barbara, just curious if you are friends with the author of this book, or if you are actually "the author" of this book and are just writing posts under pseudonyms, since the only posts both of you have made here are about this book? :o)

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Donna wrote: "I picked it up from Amazon, Rachel, since at 99 cents and your glowing review, I couldn't resist. I'll let you know when I read it what I thought of it, ok? (Don't know how quickly that will be, I..."

Oh Donna, join the club! I have over 400 now!